What's new

Dressing the perfect burger

How do you dress your burger? Naked on a bun so all you taste is the meat (or the tofu & mung beans if that's how you roll) or stacked high with all manner of vegetables and condiments?

Personally, I've never understood why I should turn my burger into a pseudo salad with the addition of lettuce & tomato since all that accomplishes is to make the bun soggy. Nope, only vegetable I want is onion, lots of onion and preferably yellow or white sliced in rings. Other than that its cheese of which I have a penchant for blue or a sharp cheddar, a couple slices of bacon and either a smoky bbq sauce or cocktail sauce.

Your perfect burger?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You haven't eaten my garden tomatoes. Big, juicy, sweet and packed with flavor. We're not talking supermarket fodder, no, no. The perfect match for any gourmet burger.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Constructing the perfect burger is a job that needs to be done properly and in the right order lol.

A nice slice of Old Cheddar melted on the burger. Burger out of the pan to rest, bun into the pan to toast and collect some of that goodness.

Bun out and a 1/4" slice of white onion on the bottom bun, burger on top of onion. Toppings vary. Bacon, dill pickle relish, a slice of fresh tomato if I have one I grew (I dont eat store bought) and then Dijon mustard. Always Dijon mustard.

If I BBQ (grill) the burger and have any peppers on hand, either sweet or hot, they go on too and then sliced to go on the burger.

Fresh, ripe tomatoes and peppers make the burgers for me.

How do you dress your burger? Naked on a bun so all you taste is the meat (or the tofu & mung beans if that's how you roll) or stacked high with all manner of vegetables and condiments?

Personally, I've never understood why I should turn my burger into a pseudo salad with the addition of lettuce & tomato since all that accomplishes is to make the bun soggy. Nope, only vegetable I want is onion, lots of onion and preferably yellow or white sliced in rings. Other than that its cheese of which I have a penchant for blue or a sharp cheddar, a couple slices of bacon and either a smoky bbq sauce or cocktail sauce.

Your perfect burger?

You sir have good taste! There’s nothing like having a soggy tomato to ruin your burger.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your perfect burger?

My perfect burger?

1/3# medium rare, a tablespoon of Russian dressing, a slice of tomato fresh from the garden and a tablespoon of ketchup, all on an egg bun/brioche roll that has been toasted, sliced side only.

I think I need to fire up the grill this weekend.

drag mine through the garden. I do have to state I'm a midwesterner. A New Jersey resident asked my brother why we have to turn everything into a garden salad. A Chicago hot dog is loaded, as are Chicago style pizzas. And a good burger should have lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles (either slices or relish), mayo, mustard, cheese and sometimes even cole slaw.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
and ketchup.

Sein_soup_nazi.jpg

Cheese melted as it cooks. Bacon. Grilled onions. Drop of mustard, spoonful of 1000 dressing. Dill pickle chips. Grilled bun. Bliss; my thanksgiving dinner, BTW.

Well this is quite the conundrum. Homemade burger gets cheese relish and a good mustard, maybe some onion but I like not losing the flavor of Alberta beef. Over cooked restaurant burgers get the above with bacon hot/bbq sauce and peppers

Perfect for me = Black Angus butter-burger (salt & pepper only), Muenster Cheese, Vidalia onion, Beefsteak tomato (sliced 1/2" thick), a few leaves of lettuce, and just a touch of real mayonnaise. All on top of a butter-toasted potato burger bun.

It has been quite a few years since I've had one, but my favorite toppings were:

Mayo (fight me)
Raw onion slices
Dill pickle chips
Ketchup (come at me bro)
American Cheese (that's right)
Occasionally, shredded iceberg lettuce

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Not available just now but vadila onions when in season, nice crispy bit of iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced extra garlic dill pickle, mustard, and a bit of mayo, thick slice of homegrown tomato or two. As mentioned a toasted bun and gobbling it down before soggy sets in . . . oh yes. . . some old Canadian cheddar.

It has been quite a few years since I've had one, but my favorite toppings were:

Mayo (fight me)
Raw onion slices
Dill pickle chips
Ketchup (come at me bro)
American Cheese (that's right)
Occasionally, shredded iceberg lettuce
American cheese is the best for burgers. It's sharp and melts well. Just ask the folks at the Billy goat tavern. No swiss, American.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I toast my buns. Mayo on the bottom one, then chopped onion- preferably red, but white in a pinch. When I have them, Texas Wildfire pickles (link to follow). Then the patty with sharp cheddar, ketchup, then the top bun. If I am feeling extravagant, I will do sharp cheddar and Swiss.

meierranch | Product Page

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
American cheese is the best for burgers. It's sharp and melts well. Just ask the folks at the Billy goat tavern. No swiss, American.
One day I am going to try American from the deli. When I hear American cheese, I think of that cheese product called Kraft singles (which aren’t even worth using in grilled cheese sandwiches)

Top Bottom