What's new

Dr Martens Boots/Shoes?

As of now I have an old pair of docs that are the black single color wingtip. I used to have a pair of the 10 eye boots. I still have my Gripfast 10 eye boots from 9th grade.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
really wanted to wear the black and white wingtips for my wedding in September, unfortunately when I got my hands on them I came to the realization that I looked like an absolute clown wearing them.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

... me too!! :ohmy:

My first order of Obaneuf's preservative came in the mail yesterday, and I gave my two pair of English Docs the treatment ... I think they like it. :thumbup1:

Did my pic have the quillion style leather? Basiclaly I'm looking for any everday work shoe/boot that is comfortable and doest make my feet sweat tonnes. I was thinking that leather would be better than the trainers I currently wear to work as they should be more breatheable right?

4 pairs sweet! Signed by who?

By these guys-

Nice!

Didnt get a chance to go shopping today, perhaps next weekend I might go to the Doc Marten shop and see if they have any I fancy at the right price!

Just be careful to avoid the 'smooth leather' DM's........they are rubbish. Will split and look very worn after only a couple of years.....pay the extra and get a pair that will outlast you! :wink2:

Was thinking of these: It describes the material as "A soft lightweight leather with a pebble texture" This the good stuff? or is it only the anniversary ones that have the longer lasting leather?

http://store.drmartens.co.uk/p-5346-dr-martens-chris-boot.aspx

That looks like quality leather and if looked after should last a life time. DM use several types of leather some high grade and some designed to not last very long. Nappa is good, so is the quilon, there are several other decent leathers DM use too. If your in London just go into a shoe shop and you'll see what i mean about DM's standard range.

If you want truly British DM's then expect to pay a few extra quid and buy from the 'vintage' line.

I think we Brits have an affection for Dr Martens, in my work i come across all sorts of people from kids to working professionals or even retired individuals wearing them. I don't think we quite see them in the same light as some Americans do who have stereo typed them as suitable for 'trash goths' only. :)

Last edited:
Got these in the end.

Spent about 30 minutes in the Covent Garden store squeezing and stroking the various leathers, and checking out all the various designs. I went with these as I liked the style and the leather seemed soft. They are "Made in Thailand". Initially they seem quite low to the ground but I'm sure after a couple weeks I will get used to them.

I was impressed that what I had eyed up on the website was in stock in my size. Hadnt been in that shop in years and was surprised at the age range & varieties of people in there. A German tourist handing in an old and ruined pair of petrol blue DMs and wearing his new purchased black ones to walk out of the store in. A girl aged about 20 trying on high heel DM's, a heavy metal guy buying a pair of black boots & an older lady (about 55) trying on some purple boots.

A couple of people at work have already commented and seemed impressed with my new purchase.

They cost me £75. I will be interested to see how long they last. They got pretty wet with the snow & slush and are drying out infront of the gas fire, stuffed with scrunched up newspaper, not sure if this is the best way to dry them out for wearing tomorrow.

Any suggestions what you do?

Appreciate all your help TenorClef

proxy.php

"What did you buy the boots for" is what matters when it comes to drying them.

If you want boots to last and look good for a long time - don't get them wet! But hey we buy boots because they are ideal for those conditions.

The next best option is to have a rotation of boots so you don't have to dry your boots so quickly. Two pairs of boots bought at the same time and used in rotation will last longer than two pairs of boots, owning just one pair at a time. Getting leather sodden then drying it with heat is never going to be good for it. Stuffing it with newspaper is good, rice is also very good - put it in a sock or stocking and it will still soak up the moisture from the inside. Or there is the "shoe tree" - wooden foot things on a stand - which is the real "right tool for the job".

I agree on that sole, it looks like I'd wear it out in no time flat! But it's probably a different compound to the docs I own anyway.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Scrunched up newspaper is great. If you are walking around in slush a lot you might want to try putting on some mink oil or dubbin. White vinegar is great for taking salt stains out of leather.

I loved docs in highschool but in the more recent years the free issue boots are much cheaper and last just as long as the docs some are even easier to shine

I think the boots look really nice themselves, but I can not - for the life of me - stand that hideous yellowish loop on the back!

I understand you wouldn't be the first to take a black "Magic Marker" to that tag. Haven't done so myslef, but I get the dislike of obvious logos.

I bought a pair of the "vintage" 1460's earlier this year, and I've been very happy with them. I owned multiple pairs of the original made-in-England ones when I was in high school and college, and I was happy to see that they still have a line that isn't made in China.

Stuffing it with newspaper is good, rice is also very good - put it in a sock or stocking and it will still soak up the moisture from the inside. Or there is the "shoe tree" - wooden foot things on a stand - which is the real "right tool for the job".

Will get some old socks and fill 'em up, thanks for that. I think a boot dryer might be a step too far for London weather. I wouldnt mind getting one for Christmas as a present though :biggrin1: Will keep an eye out for a shoe tree when I am out shopping, from this site I learned that cedarwood ones are considered the best.

mink oil or dubbin. White vinegar is great for taking salt stains out of leather.

Appreciate the advice, thanks!

I can not - for the life of me - stand that hideous yellowish loop on the back!

Were these put on the boots for helping to pull the boots on? I notice the shoes dont have these.

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I just received two pair of Docs for Christmas...

I received the 1460 Made in England version, and 2976 Chelsea style..

Of course both have fit issues, but I bought a can of shoe stretch. Thats the thing about Martens at least on my feet. They always have fit issues, but once they break in, they are darn comfortable.

Top Bottom