What's new

Dr Martens Boots/Shoes?

I've been reading this thread. And I have been looking at the pictures.

I have been very reluctant to post. Here it goes.

"But DL, don't you make cowbo...." Yes, I know. I make cowboy boots. I am passionate about handmade cowboy boots. I wear handmade cowboy boots nearly everyday. I think cowboy boots are the most manly invention ever. I LOVE handmade cowboy boots. Yes, yes, yes, yes.

*sigh* So there you have it.

Here it goes, my Doc Marten made in England boots (which I very rarely have opportunity to wear). There, now its out there.:001_smile

That should could be right out of my closet--I have the same two pairs. I bought them about twelve years ago and, with the exception of a tiny bit of wear on the sole, they're as good as new. I don't wear them every day and I take good care of them, but they've been great.

That should could be right out of my closet--I have the same two pairs. I bought them about twelve years ago and, with the exception of a tiny bit of wear on the sole, they're as good as new. I don't wear them every day and I take good care of them, but they've been great.

I love the oxblood color.

DL

I love the oxblood color.

DL

Oh shiz, the oxblood wasn't available in 'For Life' when I bought them. Better start saving up for a pair.

Now, I just need the knee-high jack boots in oxblood...great for weed whacking in the summer and keeping my neighbors at arms length! :lol:

I love Dr Martens

Been wearing them for over 15 years

I need yellow stitching on my watch to match :laugh:

proxy.php

These beauties are made in China. The made in UK ones are hard to find.

I love Dr Martens

Been wearing them for over 15 years

I need yellow stitching on my watch to match :laugh:

proxy.php

These beauties are made in China. The made in UK ones are hard to find.

Are those the 4 hole docs with that wierd block of metal ilet in the middle? I have those too and they're by far the most uncomfortable boots I have ever owned. Owned them for about 7 years and they still feel like hell on my feet.

Still got breatheability issues with them & am in the process of getting a refund with Doc Martens.

Bought these into the Covent Garden (London) Doc Marten store on Sunday (30th Jan.) & they will send them back to their "returns department" for an inspection.

The manager was quick to say, "No refund, they have been worn already" Errr yes they have, thats when I found the fault, not when wearing them for 3 minutes when I tried them on in their store in the 1st place.

Anyway, I had to write what was wrong with them on a ripped off till receipt!

So I wrote "The heel side of the boots are fine (with leather underneath), its just the toes (with another material underneath) sweat and get cold & sitting wearing these for 10 hours+ it gets very uncomfortable.

I have tried numerous pairs of socks, but I am now confident the problem is with the soles/base of these boots, not being breatheable enough.
"

The manager put that note in with the boots & I filled out a few details, name phone number etc. on a seperate form & am awaiting a phone call.

Will keep you posted.

Buying that 1st pair of Doc Martens I have ever owned has made me feel a bit unsure/distrustful of them. I am sure there are some wonderful & comfortable models out there, but I just dont want to get caught out again and be disappointed.

Maybe I should have followed TenorClefs advice & bought a "Made In England" model.

Last edited:
Out of interest TenorClef, from top to bottom what models are they?

I am especially interested in 2 (shoes), 3 (Boots) & 6 (boots)

The collection has grown again but to reply to your question, the black DM shoes are special 50th anniversary pebble dash black MIE shoes and the black DM boots are MIC Kappa leather. The Kappa's are really very comfy and just great for those really cold snow deep days when you want to wear thick socks. The MIE shoes tend to run a little tighter on the fit and so require regular socks.

Here is a photo of the new army-

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I saw some photos from Christmas of 1994 and I was wearing these. I don't know when I purchased them but I figure it was at least 17 years ago, probably longer.

These are photos of these boots today. Still in good shape. The original insoles are pristine since I put some insoles in after I bought them for a little better fit. I think I got my money's worth out these boots. :yesnod:

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
These are photos of these boots today. Still in good shape. The original insoles are pristine since I put some insoles in after I bought them for a little better fit. I think I got my money's worth out these boots. :yesnod:

full

Those look exactly like mine! Mine are about 10+ years old and I still wear them a few times a week. Love em and they've held up great.

Interesting coincidence, I was looking for a new boot to replace my Docs and I finally made my choice today. I bought a pair of Red Wing 877s (Irish Setter). Haven't worn them yet, but can't wait.

I can only hope they feel and wear as great as my Docs have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought these into the Covent Garden (London) Doc Marten store on Sunday (30th Jan.) & they will send them back to their "returns department" for an inspection.

The manager was quick to say, "No refund, they have been worn already" Errr yes they have, thats when I found the fault, not when wearing them for 3 minutes when I tried them on in their store in the 1st place.

Anyway, I had to write what was wrong with them on a ripped off till receipt!

So I wrote "The heel side of the boots are fine (with leather underneath), its just the toes (with another material underneath) sweat and get cold & sitting wearing these for 10 hours+ it gets very uncomfortable.

I have tried numerous pairs of socks, but I am now confident the problem is with the soles/base of these boots, not being breatheable enough.
"

The manager put that note in with the boots & I filled out a few details, name phone number etc. on a seperate form & am awaiting a phone call.

Will keep you posted.

Buying that 1st pair of Doc Martens I have ever owned has made me feel a bit unsure/distrustful of them. I am sure there are some wonderful & comfortable models out there, but I just dont want to get caught out again and be disappointed.

Maybe I should have followed TenorClefs advice & bought a "Made In England" model.

Spoke to Doc Martens head office today who I wasnt particularly impressed with. They kept on about having a new phone system, left me waiting in silence until I hung up and called back again. Shame their phone system doesnt play music, I thought they had hung up on me.

Anyway after a couple of calls to the head office they didnt know what number I was refering to on my returns form the Covent Garden branch had given me, so they gave me the phone number so I could speak to Covent Garden branch.

I spoke to Pu at the Covent Garden branch (London) who told me that Bernard who is the Quality Control manager at their head office found no fault with them, and as a gesture of goodwill will give me £75 (which the boots cost me) towards another pair of their boots/shoes but will NOT give me store credit/vouchers or my money back. Are they allowed to do this?

I asked how Bernard tested them, did he wear them for 10 hour days ? know full well he probably gave them a once over and ticked a box on a sheet to return them to the store I had bought them from.

Pu then said that they are a cheaper range, i said that they cost me £75, not exactly cheap, to which she replied, "well our boots are expensive & you have the option to put an insole in them" I argued that they should have had a more breatheable insole in the first place, to which she just kept saying "I am not the designer"
It got a bit bitchy and she seemed relieved when she sharply put the phone down when I said "goodbye" but I feel better for getting it off my chest! :thumbup1:

She also said that in 2 weeks time they have new ranges coming out, I asked if the new ranges were on their website, she didnt know.

So if I am forced to buy another pair I think I will be looking for Made In England ones with a footbed that isnt half leather & half man-made. All in all though it has left a sour taste in my mouth and I am not too impressed.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I bought a pair of Red Wing 877s (Irish Setter). Haven't worn them yet, but can't wait.

I can only hope they feel and wear as great as my Docs have.

Those Red Wings are some good-looking boots. Please follow-up regarding sizing and comfort.

And duotone, I would sell the boots you are dissatisfied with in BST or ebay to add the credit given to by DM since they are essentially brand new.

I thought that was pretty generous of them.

And duotone, I would sell the boots you are dissatisfied with in BST or ebay to add the credit given to by DM since they are essentially brand new.

I thought that was pretty generous of them.

No the £75 they are giving me towards a new pair is the £75 cash I handed over the counter to them, to pay for them in the first place. Apologies for not being clearer in my 1st post.

Last edited:
Picked up my old Cherry Red DM's today. Must say Timpson's did a fine job with the resole and these old boots have plenty of life in them yet. I know they look old from the photos but that's how i bought them from new, as a special 'vintage worn' look.

attachment.php

The soles are actually genuine Dr Marten soles 'made in England'! Very comfy boots :thumbup:

When you say "vintage worn" are these the same or not quite? http://store.drmartens.co.uk/p-5756-dr-martens-worn-1460-boot.aspx

I buy my DM's on-line from Cloggs, i can't write off the Chinese versions completely, maybe that's down to the fact that i treat mine to a little neatsfoot oil from time to time so they seem to be going strong even after several years. My current favourites are these which my wife bought me for our 10th wedding anniversary.

these are awesome! I want a pair!

Top Bottom