What's new

Doubting the straight razor shave.

OMG. The single reason I went to DE was becuase of the dastardly "lift and whatever..." that caused a terrible problem with my skin and immed. went on a search for why. I can shave in the dark with DE which is no surprise to folks here. Despite that I still can not summon up the courage to shave my legs with a DE. Hey, I race bicycles not that there is anything wrong with that right? I've started with straights becuase I love process and old things knowing full and well it will take me a month of sundays to get comfortable with the process of shaving my face with a straight. Confident I'll eventually be able to have as good a shave or better than my DE? You betcha. Would I abandon my DE becuase a straight was better? Heck no, that's foolish. I'm a patient fella you do the same mister and the rewards will come with time.

Partial quote to save space and scarce electrons -

However, if one is adamant about sticking to cartridge shaving, then at least loose the canned stuff...use REAL shaving creme/soap, etc...those are small things that make a huge difference, IMHO :001_smile!!

+1 A HUGE difference.

Having found myself out of time on a Monday morning, I delved into the dark recesses of my bathroom draws and discovered a Tesco twin blade cart and handle. I vaguely remember buying them some time before I bought my first DE. I prepped as usual and went to work with it. Well I got a great shave with it but did what I had thought was impossible and cut my chin with it! That aside the shave was good. Did I wish to repeat it in favour of my DE's?Nope, did I feel guilty for having strayed? Nope. I love my DE's for the history and the fact that they are just lovely things to look at handle and own.

It matters little to anyone here if you use a str8, a DE or a cart as long as you get the shave you need and it's comfortable for you then everyone should be happy. YMMV never rang so true. :thumbup1:

I've got to say, I'm fairly new at straight razor shaving, and I've tried nearly every combination of shaving there is except DE. Electric razors take WAAAAAAAY too much time, and all the gillette/shick crap can only cut my beard if I shave every 48 hours. Any more than that, and you can forget it. Not to mention, the bloody things are finished after 4 or 5 shaves.

I think it kind of depends on your beard hair. Mine grows in thick and coarse, more like copper wire then hair! For my facial hair the straight razor seems to be the only blade that's even remotely capable of dealing with my shaving needs efficiently. If you have softer hair, you may not need the straight shave!

I never shaved with a cartridge razor, and probably never will, but I find the posed hypothetical similar to others in the world of esoterica..
In bird hunting and shotgunning circles, the aficianados love to banter about the efficiency of shot size, muzzle velocity, and a hundred other variables in an attempt to find the quintessential combination... The Holy Grail of shotgunning, if you will.
But, there's an old saying... Dead is dead... There are no degrees of deadness!
And so it is with shaving... My straights give me absolutely close shaves... And it doesn't get any closer!

Dead is dead! And close is close...

The rest of the world can be consumed by twenty edge cartridges... I'll stay where I am! I have my hones, and I'm self sufficient...

Dead is dead!

I believe you may have misunderstood my post so let me clarify. It has nothing to do with the wealthy versus the poor or "romanticizing" the past. I have stated...

"Straight razors were common and their use pretty much mandatory for anyone wanting to shave."

Translation: If you wanted to shave in the "good ol' days", it was done with a straight razor.

This thread is about whether or not a straight razor can give a quality shave, not about who did, who can afford to and other societal constraints around straight razor shaving. So, in your opinion can a straight razor deliver a close shave that can equal today's cartridge?

You also stated that: "Most men were taught to to use them at an early shaving age by father, uncles or anyone else that shaved. It was a common skill.." which is what I disagree with.

For the record, yes, I do belive that a straight can provide as good a shave as a cartridge in skilled hands. But I also think it's not for everyone and that someone not totally dedicated and prepared to put in the effort required will be better off with a DE or staying with cartridges or electrics, especially for people who don't mind not beeing shaved every day. Before I started "real" wet shaving I only shaved twice a week, and had no real problems from cartridges apart from never beeing truly well shaved and most of the time having a semi-beard.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I used a straight razor for a while and it wasn't particularly difficult and gave a good shave. It almost comes naturally that you will hold it in a way that it won't cut your throat. What I liked most about it was how it felt.

Unfoutunately, I never learned how to sharpen and hone it. You used to be able to take your razor to the barber shop and the barber would either sharpen it or have it sharpened for you. That service isn't available any longer.

I may try one with replaceable blades. Anyone have experience with those?

My Dad got a Fusion Glide in the mail a couple of weeks ago. He tried it once and threw it away.
I told him I was getting Magic Shave smoothness out of lather and advice from B&B.
Also the new wider carts can't fit Seen on TV cartridge sharpeners.:thumbdown

The beard was very popular back then, perhaps for a reason...

Methinks this is the case. Ever look through old photo archives? You'll see lots of hirsute gents.

Not sure about technology having moved forward (much), I mean, cotis, eschers and leather have been around for as long as straight razors. (every piece of gear I use is 50 to 150 years old, except my brush) Additionally, barber's hones are still recommended today. Social norms change, and the beard comes and goes, but there sure is the convenience factor to consider. This doesn't even go as far as to address personal hygiene issues. The daily shower is a somewhat modern innovation; if you haven't bathed this month (wether you need it or not), would you really worry much about needing a shave?

I might have agreed with you a couple of months ago, but after three months of straight shaving I am getting to the point of BBS with two pass shave and minor touch ups. I can only imagine what my shaves will be like in another three months let alone a year or two of practice. It is a longer road but I think worth the travel. The reason people use cartridge razors is the fact that they are very user friendly. If a straight was easier then there would be no need for carts in the first place. Stick with it and you will be rewarded. Or, if you feel it isn't for you then don't feel any pressure to continue doing something you don't enjoy. Btw, what kind of Dovo do you use, how about the rest of your setup?

I think that the bottom line is once you take the time to learn how to shave, it is possible to get a great shave using any of the tools available. It isn't a matter of one being better than another, but only different. If you enjoy shaving no matter how you do it and with what you do it, you are doing it right.

Last edited:
I might have agreed with you a couple of months ago, but after three months of straight shaving I am getting to the point of BBS with two pass shave and minor touch ups. I can only imagine what my shaves will be like in another three months let alone a year or two of practice. It is a longer road but I think worth the travel. The reason people use cartridge razors is the fact that they are very user friendly. If a straight was easier then there would be no need for carts in the first place. Stick with it and you will be rewarded. Or, if you feel it isn't for you then don't feel any pressure to continue doing something you don't enjoy. Btw, what kind of Dovo do you use, how about the rest of your setup?

I think that the bottom line is once you take the time to learn how to shave, it is possible to get a great shave using any of the tools available. It isn't a matter of one being better than another, but only different. If you enjoy shaving no matter how you do it and with what you do it, you are doing it right.
You only get that buttery smooth feel with a straight that lasts untill next morning.Almost BBS 12 hours after the morning shave.I always make 3x passes usually with a Thiers Issard razor.Maybe just as close with a DE or Shavette without that super post shave feel.No not as close the shave does not last as long,maybe by 12 hours cant be possible can it well it is.

Like another of the posters, I got into wet shaving because of the cost (compared to cartridge shaving). That was about it for while. I kept reading about technique and lathering and everything else it takes to get a great shave. I also experimented with blades and soaps. After three years, I can say that I get smoother and closer shaves wet shaving. I did get shaved this close with a cartridge. But that's just my own experience.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I got into DE shaving while still in my teens. I had spent a few years with disposables and cartridges, and found that shaving with a Wilkinson Sword Classic, gave be a closer shave with less irritation. I got bought various other cartridge systems as birthday/christmas gifts, and duly used them. Once the cartridges were all used up, I went back to the Wilkinson Sword Classic and started getting better shaves again. I stuck with that razor for around 20 years, till I eventually "upgraded" to other DEs. I still have that first razor though, and it now resides in a travel kit.

I haven't tried straights yet, but have discovered that I'm pretty useless with a shavette except for lining up a beard. I do have a straight to bring back to life, and may well go through the learning curve with my shavette first. I do not expect quick success with either.

I've never shaved with a cart. I've been wet shaving for 55 years, 51 years with DE or SE, and the last four years with a straight. Once or twice a month when I'm hurrying out the door in the morning, I'll use a DE or SE and obtain a very close shave. I can obtain just as close of a shave with a straight, and it's far more enjoyable. I enjoy the history associated with straights, honing and maintaining them, stropping them, and find many aesthetically beautiful. I enjoy preparing a very slick lather. I have to be well focussed on the task at hand. I enter the "zen moment" with a straight. Plus I get to discuss straights ad nauseam with other straight razor fanatics, and I find most straight razor shavers to be find gentlemen, who are more than happy to share their time with someone who is learning or needs help with a problem. Shaving with a straight gets me away from the problems in the world and focussed on something highly enjoyable.

Top Bottom