What's new

Doubting the straight razor shave.

When your technique improves, we can talk then. Str8 (or DE) shaving is not just about smooth shaves. It's FANTASTIC for your skin...not something I can say for cartridge shaving. You will see what I mean after a few months...especially when your technique improves

As Phil said, come back in 6 months and compare notes...I bet you anything, you will eat your own words

Robert

'nuf said.

Wishful thinking. "Safety razors" became popular because they were safer and easier to use than straight razors for most men. They found they got better shaves with the new razors and the rest is history.

"Begin early, shave yourself!"

Sounds like a fair number of men couldn't do the job at all!

I've given up on my Dovo Special for now. it's just too much of a time sink for me with 3 preschoolerers around. So I can't comment on how good the shaves are possible to get, as I couldn't get a decent one at all. Actually, couldn't even complete a first pass.

I have to agree with OP to some extent, as I can get a far better shave with a M3 than any DE. I can do a 2 pass shave that will be smooth ATG and last a good few hours longer.

And I consider my DE technique pretty good. I can get occasion shave as good as the cart, but they don't last as long. I don't know about Gillette's lift and cut claims, but they do manage somehow to shave deeper down the follicle. That's probably the source of irritation for others.

Straight razor shaving was displaced by the safety razor for many reasons but quality shaves is not of one them. The effort, skill and time required for using them as well as honing, maintenance and cost caused them to fall out of favour for most men. It was a significant investment in materials and resources but once paid for, it provides a lifetime of use. I used to shave with a straight razor (and occassionally still do) and went safety razors because I wasn't willing to invest the extra effort in blade maintence and I was getting excellent results with DE razors, thanks in part to the techniques I learned when I was using a straight.

To begin with, straight razors give greater control of the blade via the blade angle and can handle the more difficult elements shaving, such as dealing with longer facial hair. A longer cutting edge and the ability to hold more of the scraped lather on multiple strokes are also advantages during a shave. Cartridge razors are handy time savers and can provide decent shaves for many. However, they are all compromise solutions designed to provide a safe shave in a timely fashion but can irritate the skin for a lot of people. Bottom line, if you are wondering why you are not getting a close enough shave, look in the mirror and you'll find your answer.

Last edited:
I have never tried a straight, so I can't comment. But even my plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic DE gives a better shave, read closer and irritation free, than any cartridge blade I have tried in the last 20 years of shaving.

TBH straights seem like a lot of effort to me, I can't imagine that I will better the BBS shaves I am getting now, maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
Str8s still hold the edge :001_smile when shaving beard that is more than 1 day old. I like to shave with a str8 after taking a day off shaving as I enjoy it more when the beard is substantial.

I get BBS with either DE or str8 but the str8 needs to have a perfect edge that with my thick hair, needs honing every 3-5 shaves which can be a hassle. With less than perfect edge, I too find that going ATG still leaves my skin rough against the growth.

Serious Question:

How many men way back when were actually taught how to use a straight properly, beyond getting advice from a barber?

It's fairly likely that those that couldn't get on with them found it didn't come naturally, and there were precious few products around to help. The 3 T's would have been the domain of them middle and upper classes.

The safety razor would have been seen as far simpler, and for many, vastly superior for results.

The only reason other today may disagree is the time, effort and assistance they get to do it as well as they can.

How many men way back when were actually taught how to use a straight properly, beyond getting advice from a barber?
Straight razors were common and their use pretty much mandatory for anyone wanting to shave. Most men were taught to to use them at an early shaving age by father, uncles or anyone else that shaved. It was a common skill, just like many skills, that have fallen by the wayside due to modern conveniences. People learned to preserve food, make sausages, knit clothes, and make alcohol (such a wine) for their use. Who does these sort of things nowadays (excepting my parents who do all of the aforementioned activities)?

Last edited:
Serious Question:

+1

This is an excellent point, as the collective knowledge we all share with each on this forum can't be overstated. If one has a problem, you have potentially 1000's of people who can offer help. This kind of assistance certainly wasn't available in the past.

Straight razors were common and their use pretty much mandatory for anyone wanting to shave. Most men were taught to to use them at an early shaving age by father, uncles or anyone else that shaved. It was a common skill, just like many skills, that have fallen by the wayside due to modern conveniences. People learned to preserve food, make sausages, knit clothes, and make alcohol (such a wine) for their use. Who does these sort of things nowadays (excepting my parents who do all of the aforementioned activities)?

I think that is far to generalistic, and suggests the notional myth of the 'good ol' days'. It may have been a common skill, that isn't to say it wasn't badly practised, and passed on.

Men who could afford it, often had barbers to shave them every morning.

Lots of people still do the above, but out of enjoyment, not necessity. Which was kind of my point.

I think that is far to generalistic, and suggests the notional myth of the 'good ol' days'. It may have been a common skill, that isn't to say it wasn't badly practised, and passed on.

Men who could afford it, often had barbers to shave them every morning.

Lots of people still do the above, but out of enjoyment, not necessity. Which was kind of my point.
It can be argued comments such as `newer or modern is better` is equally mythological. It is my position that straight razors were displaced as a matter of convenience, not as a matter delivering inferior shave quality, which is what the OP is suggesting.

Last edited:
Well im new to using straights but since i have to shave every day ill take a little more stubble (due to my inexperience) then having my face eaten up time and time again by my m3. Its good to know ill get A closer shave with my de over time though. Dont get me wrong.. Ive had good shaves with my de, but nothing braggable, yet.

It can be argued comments such as `newer or modern is better` is equally mythological.
No argument there.
It is my position that straight razors were displaced as a matter of convenience, not as a matter delivering inferior shave quality, which is what the OP is suggesting.
You're only allowing for today's standards, where, as I previously suggested, you have access to better products, better information, and a more predisposed to considering shaving as something to be learnt and enjoyed.

There's no doubt DE are more convenient, but the generalisation that a straight will always be better is only being asserted from modern perspective, which affords you many advantages that probably weren't around 80-100 years ago. Sure the 3Ts and equivalents were, but far more likely the preserve of the moneyed classes.

The beard was very popular back then, perhaps for a reason...

No argument there.
You're only allowing for today's standards, where, as I previously suggested, you have access to better products, better information, and a more predisposed to considering shaving as something to be learnt and enjoyed.
I think you are discounting the fact that people knew what they we're doing with their tools. Necessity dictates a mastering of ones skills, unlike today where we have various options and conveniences. There is certainly less incentive to master anything if you decide it's merely a pastime.

As for "better" information and products, that can be debatable. Personally, I do not think the Internet is necessarily a better source of information and falls short when compared to personal instruction. There is as much misinformation on the Internet as information and much knowledge has been lost. Additionally, practice goes a long way in determining end results.

As a final aside, I do not assert a straight razor is always better than a safety razor. To clarify, my position is a straight razor can offer as good or even better shave experience in practiced hands. I'm taking issue with the OP's statement that...

"...there is NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that it is possible to get as close a shave with a straight razor as you can with a cartridge razor like the Gilette Turbo/Fusion/whatever."

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think you readily discount the fact that people knew what they we're doing with their tools. Necessity dictates a mastering of ones skills, unlike today where we have the various options and conveniences. There certainly less incentive to master anything if you decide it's merely a pastime.

As for "better" information and products, that is quite debatable. Personally, I do not think the Internet is necessarily better source of information and falls short when compared to personal instruction. There as much misinformation on the Internet as information and much knowledge has been lost. Additionally, practice goes a long way in determining end results.

As a final aside, I do not assert a straight razor is always better than a safety razor. To clarify, my position is a straight razor can offer as good or even better shave experience in practiced hands.

Certainly people today have access to information in a manner that is faster than people did 80 years ago.
Folks today can get information in a few days in front of the computer which might have taken a fellow 80 years ago months to gather.
But in the great scheme of things, taking longer to gather the information makes no difference in the end result.
I think the information was available 80 years ago, it was just harder to gather that information.
Offsetting that is the plethora of misinformation available from the internet and a certain amount of sorting that has to be done to qualify if it is actually correct.
That is a disadvantage of anonymity.
I think that seeking information as it was done 80 years ago likely resulted in less misinformation due to the unwillingness in general of people to give incorrect advice face to face.

As someone that has been wet shaving for about eight weeks can I say something?
I have read the posts here and I agree with most statements. I too started because disposable/throw away 3,4 and 5 blade gimicks were costing 14 bucks and lasted two months (maybe). I was getting nicks and weepers at first. But something else happened. I began to like shaving. I went to "Youtube", and found this site to learn proper technique and I wanted quality materials. I took the time to get the lather where it worked best for me. I shared this with my 23 year old Son who has made comments to me and offering me his "EDGE" gel as he doesn't need it any more. Even more, my wife has never made comments about my close shave or shaving in general. But on more than one occasion she has said that she can notice a difference, this with no prompting from me.
So here's the deal for me. I will not go back to the plastic cartridge blade. I do get closer shaves now with the time I have given to DE shaving. I enjoy the shave and the preparation before the shave. It takes longer sure but the rewards after the shave make it all worth while. I can tell a difference for the better and I truly believe it will only get better from here.

I've given up on my Dovo Special for now. it's just too much of a time sink for me with 3 preschoolerers around. So I can't comment on how good the shaves are possible to get, as I couldn't get a decent one at all. Actually, couldn't even complete a first pass.

When it comes to str8 shaving...I'm with you on the significant time committment required up front. I have 3 month old twins so I put down the str8s for awhile...the constant lack of sleep and perpetual zombie like state made me realize an accidental slice of the neck was only a poopy diaper or burp away...

That said, the bulk of str8 diehards on this forum swear by the fact you can regularly get BBS if you stick with it...they are all gentlemen and trustworthy and as such, I believe them.

I plan to pick my str8s back up again when I'm getting a tad more sleep!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As someone that has been wet shaving for about eight weeks can I say something?
I have read the posts here and I agree with most statements. I too started because disposable/throw away 3,4 and 5 blade gimicks were costing 14 bucks and lasted two months (maybe). I was getting nicks and weepers at first. But something else happened. I began to like shaving. I went to "Youtube", and found this site to learn proper technique and I wanted quality materials. I took the time to get the lather where it worked best for me. I shared this with my 23 year old Son who has made comments to me and offering me his "EDGE" gel as he doesn't need it any more. Even more, my wife has never made comments about my close shave or shaving in general. But on more than one occasion she has said that she can notice a difference, this with no prompting from me.
So here's the deal for me. I will not go back to the plastic cartridge blade. I do get closer shaves now with the time I have given to DE shaving. I enjoy the shave and the preparation before the shave. It takes longer sure but the rewards after the shave make it all worth while. I can tell a difference for the better and I truly believe it will only get better from here.

Well said sir, and it reflects the experience of many here.

Top Bottom