What's new

Doubting the straight razor shave.

I'm just going to put this out there and see what gets thrown back.

I shave with a straight razor. I get a pretty great shave with it. However, I contend that there is NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that it is possible to get as close a shave with a straight razor as you can with a cartridge razor like the Gilette Turbo/Fusion/whatever.

I just don't see how it is possible. I can slash at my face pass after pass for about a half hour and pretty soon the razor just won't catch any more stubble, and yet my face will only feel smooth when rubbing WITH the grain

OR

I can do 2 quick passes with a Gilette Fusion and have a shave so smooth that I feel no stubble at all, even when rubbing against the grain.

What says everyone? Given that I love the PROCESS of shaving, and enjoy using my straight razors because it provides me some time to focus and regroup, I doubt I'll give it up, but when I first got into shaving with it, I heard tell that the shave was closer than cartridges. It isn't, and I don't see how it could be.

No I don't work for Gilette, yes I love my Dovo, and no I'm not trying to bait anyone. I'm just starting to believe there is a real reason why most men don't use straight razors anymore, and it isn't just an issue of time and learning curves.

I didn't leave cartiridge razors because I got crappy shaves from them, they never irritated my skin what so ever, in fact I could dry shave with a cartridge razor (meaning I could take a razor and shave my fave with no water, cream, or anything....before a shower) and it still wouldn't irritate my face. I got into DE and straight razor shavig because I was tired of paying 12 and 15 bucks for 5 cartridges. It was cheaper for me to buy a whole new razor than just the blades. I was also taking in by the "old" ways of shaving. Where once I would shave out of a need to shave, I now run to the bathroom at any hint of stubble to shave it with my old razors. It is the preperation more than just the shave that I love.

I didn't leave cartiridge razors because I got crappy shaves from them, they never irritated my skin what so ever, in fact I could dry shave with a cartridge razor (meaning I could take a razor and shave my fave with no water, cream, or anything....before a shower) and it still wouldn't irritate my face. I got into DE and straight razor shavig because I was tired of paying 12 and 15 bucks for 5 cartridges. It was cheaper for me to buy a whole new razor than just the blades. I was also taking in by the "old" ways of shaving. Where once I would shave out of a need to shave, I now run to the bathroom at any hint of stubble to shave it with my old razors. It is the preperation more than just the shave that I love.

That's exactly why I do it. I love the process of the shave. However, I'm under no illusion and would not try to convince anyone that the straight razor can get me a closer shave.

To me, wet shaving with a cartridge gets you the closest, and the straight is the most fun.

I started DE because I love old time stuff because a lot of things aren't broke and don't need fixed. It is also better for the environment because I am not using as much plastic.

DE shaving is the best shave I have ever had because it ISN't super close. I don't want to lose the top layer of my face every time I shave.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You only started straight shaving about a month and a half ago, so I can see why you would say that.
Keep at it daily for 6 months at least and then come back to this.
You'll be amazed at the great shaves.

+1. I get very close shaves with zero irritation and no razor bumps. Something i could not say about my days with mach xxx razors

You only started straight shaving about a month and a half ago, so I can see why you would say that.

That's exactly why I do it. I love the process of the shave. However, I'm under no illusion and would not try to convince anyone that the straight razor can get me a closer shave.

To me, wet shaving with a cartridge gets you the closest, and the straight is the most fun.

That's why I shave with a Mach 3, but use a badger brush and quality soaps along with proper preparation. For me, it's the best of both worlds. YMMV, however.

It is lots cheaper to shave with a DE instead of cartridges, IF you can control the related ADs. But the primary reason for me to switch to a DE was to eliminate razor bumps on my neck, and they have all but disappeared. The fact that I now enjoy shaving is an unexpected bonus.

Perhaps it is YMMV, perhaps it is technique... I don't know.

What I do know is even with my wirey hairs, a straight gives me BBS is every direction with no irritation. Plus it stays BBS for soooo much longer, without those dang bumps and ingrowns.

I suspect the main reason why straights stopped being used is marketing... safety razors came along and they were modern. Who wants to be old fasioned (look at some of those vintage Gillette ads)? Then DE's etc became old fasioned... enough time moves on that fathers didn't teach their sons how to shave with them as they didn't use it themselves.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with 'luvmysuper', I think you would have had to have been shaving with a straight for some considerable time before you can make such a bold statement. I'm only new to straight shaving, its fun, yes its probably kinder to the planet's dwindling resources, I've had a couple of great shaves with my straight, one i would even describe as a DFS, however due to my limited experience i generally get CCS's but I'm hopeful the BBS will come.

Partial quote:

I suspect the main reason why straights stopped being used is marketing... safety razors came along and they were modern. Who wants to be old fasioned (look at some of those vintage Gillette ads)? Then DE's etc became old fasioned... enough time moves on that fathers didn't teach their sons how to shave with them as they didn't use it themselves.

Wishful thinking. "Safety razors" became popular because they were safer and easier to use than straight razors for most men. They found they got better shaves with the new razors and the rest is history.

I dumped the carts because of cost and irritation on my neck.
Straight razors have tempted me, but I like collecting and using my DE stuff.
I got the best results from the Gillette Sensor Excel blades.
If I ever went back I'd go to the Sensor Excel blades again.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wishful thinking. "Safety razors" became popular because they were safer and easier to use than straight razors for most men. They found they got better shaves with the new razors and the rest is history.

I would agree with this to the extent that it applies to human laziness.
Safety Razors were safer and easier if you didn't take the due care and diligence to use the straight properly.

Modern cart razors are safer and easier than DE's because you don't have to worry about blade angle, and there is almost never a nick when you use a cart.

Safer and easier doesn't directly translate to a better shave.

Some people get shaves with a straight that surpasses what other people can do with a cart or DE.

Some people can get a better shave with a cart than with a straight, especially if they have only been using it for a short period of time.

I agree, I used to shave with the straight razor back in the 60's but I just didn't want to play with all the stropping and honing and such anymore so I use the DE style and have gotten into rotating several of them for variety. Back in the day, people used the straights as a matter of course because that was what was, and that was what you had to learn, before the DE, because it was that or the barber a couple times a week. There is a learning curve and you could spend a year shaving with the straight before you get really good at and you have to be right up with paying attention to stropping
it the right way on a strop in good condition and the edge has to be in just the right alignment, if you don't strop it at the right angle and turn it over the right way, you can take the edge right off the blade. Tha's why people used to go to professionals. Honing a razor is almost a lost art but you have to do it often enough or all the stropping in the world won't help. A good quality straight in the right condition properly prepared will render as close a shave as a human needs to have. good luck

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You have to weight the pro/con of using a straight.

If you want to have a quick shave and you're happy with a Fusion, that's all right. Keep in mind that you only have 6 weeks in this, as Phil said.

I didn't think that I could get shaves as close as my DE when I started straight shaving. At month #4 of shaving daily, I thought, this is it, it's going to be that and it won't get any better. I'm now ~6 1/2 month of daily straight shaving, quite new to this still, still learning and my shaves are very very close now. They magically improved. Time wise, I'm quicker than with a DE, probably because the blade is longer.

I still have some spots that are causing me problems. Those spots are feeling closer and closer now.

My advice would be to keep at it if you enjoy it.

First off, as some have already stated, there's a lot to learn and perfect with straights before you really start reaping the benefits. I started my journey with straights last November. I would say it was last month that I found the final epiphanies that are getting me the best shaves I've ever had from any razor.

Interestingly, I can't get a BBS shave out of a cartridge. I've tried many techniques, creams, prep, etc. It actually bothers me because I see others who appear to have and claim to have BBS shaves from a cartridge, and I hate to admit defeat. Honestly though, I can't get as good a shave with a cartridge as I can with a DE or a straight, and I get my best shaves (and longest lasting, although I can't explain why) with a straight.

To BlackBard's comments - IMO - 'the best' shave depends upon what you're looking for. For me, it's closeness, less irritation and how long it lasts. For this, it takes me 15 - 20 minutes each day to perform. I have to hone my razor about once a month. I have to pay closer attention to my shaves, and yes, I do still cut myself from time. I had a steep learning curve to climb, and yes, I've cut myself a lot in the process, got some lousy shaves, got pretty frustrated at times and listened to my wife say I was crazy on more than one occasion. But I've got it down now, and it's great. Others, however, may prefer a faster shave or one that doesn't require such a steep learning curve or one that doesn't require such close attention to each shave. The trade off of a less close shave is acceptable (especially if they haven't found how good a shave a straight delivers), and that's fine too. So, IMO, better depends upon your own goals. But keep a few things in mind:
  • King Gillette did not set out to make shaving better. He set out to find something disposable that people would have to keep buying. It just so happens that he developed the safety razor. It was selling the blades he was after.
  • Early Gillette advertising didn't say that DEs delivered a better shave. It only said you didn't have to hone or strop your blades anymore. To many, that was a step up, but it doesn't mean it was a better shave.
  • I've noticed current Gillette advertising stating that the Fusion delivers the closest shave of any cartridge. I wonder why they have to stipulate that it's closer than any cartridge and not that it delivers the closest shave period.

When your technique improves, we can talk then. Str8 (or DE) shaving is not just about smooth shaves. It's FANTASTIC for your skin...not something I can say for cartridge shaving. You will see what I mean after a few months...especially when your technique improves

As Phil said, come back in 6 months and compare notes...I bet you anything, you will eat your own words

Robert

Top Bottom