What's new

Don't scrub with your brush

I just received a new Simpsons 57 best badger. This is the most expensive brush in my collection. In the care and use info it says to only paint and not scrub. Tons of us scrub including myself. I don't scrub super hard but scrub moderately then paint to smooth everything out. It's obvious the brush would last longer but I have two other lower end brushes and the knots are fine.

What say you gentlemen?

Reactions: Kix

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Paint only?!
1696970516445.gif

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That seems rather odd, particularly since the cannon here is that the brush scrubs and massages your face and is the primary reason why face lathering is promoted.
I suspect those instructions are a historic Simpson legacy designed to minimise warranty claims, and to encourage common sense brush usage. Mark Watterson, the MD of Simpson has stated, right here on B&B, that rotational brush strokes with light pressure, and without mashing the knot, are quite acceptable. It is excessive pressure that is the problem I think, more than the direction of the brush stroke.

I too once spent too much good money on an AoS badger brush (so embarrassed I've blocked out how much), treated it gently when loading and painting only to be rewarded with a large chunk of the center of the knot falling out (i.e., donut hole). Since then I don't spend much on brushes, viewing them as consumables and freely scrub vigorously during face lathering and haven't had the AoS issue repeat. I also pick up vintage brushes w/good knots that have stood the test of time, or re-knot vintage brushes with economy knots. Run with scissors, tear the labels off of mattresses, and swirl and scrub with your shaving brushes!

I just received a new Simpsons 57 best badger. This is the most expensive brush in my collection. In the care and use info it says to only paint and not scrub. Tons of us scrub including myself. I don't scrub super hard but scrub moderately then paint to smooth everything out. It's obvious the brush would last longer but I have two other lower end brushes and the knots are fine.

What say you gentlemen?

Well being sort of known nothing person if this brush maker gave information on proper use, I would assume they know how to best use product, and not damage.

I didn't read the directions or any of the literature that comes with the brushes, Scrubbing feeeeeeels so good, how could you not scrub? Another point is my most expensive brush is $35 so doesn't really matter.

For my boar brushes, I scrub so hard, the hairs want to come out by themselves =D

Top Bottom