What's new

Done my first DE month on a U2 Tech.. next steps?

Gidday all,

I've done my first month on U2.. worked through samplers.. enjoyed the G&F Timor Solingen especially and Voskhod Teflon.. Derbys of all varieties left me "meh"

I've been using the Proraso menthol soap at home and a Speick stick here in hospital and rotating through an old old favourite synthetic body shop brush I can't part with, a Frank "Boar" and a mighty mixed Omega 11047..

The bracing osma stone that I thought would spend more time stopping bleeding has in fact been instead a consistent teacher and informant as to my developing technique.
even experimented with microwaved wash cloths for prep as my flat's delivered water to the basin isn't especially hot.

I was expecting to hamburger my face (ok I'm exaggerating) but I've been really happy as to how I've begun.

I'm loving ditching the cartridges and and i'm not obsessed about the perfect result..
I've had the best and most enjoyable shave in years.. beating anything I could manage with M*ch3.

I'm almost always a daily shaver and my growth is not at all coarse, light and can be patchy.

A real fair dinkum beard is not in my stars.. I just look like a bum if I don't shave for ten days, no matter how I try to trim it.

Often through (on both fresh and a few shaves old blades), patches of very light fuzz remain and are "heard" and felt along and under the jawline.. depite one of WTG, ATG passes.

My peripheral vision isn't great at L/R extremities so I'm kinda shaving "by feel".. and I 'm ok with that.

I'm not sure how to adapt my technique or if I need something more aggressive? an OC?
Don at Techichi (nice bloke btw) has a OC with a longer handle and i'm wondering if a longer handle might be an adaption that would help. (a 4in handle as opposed to my tech's 3in)

I rather like the blades I'm using for their efficiency, longevity and comfort.

Cheers all and thanks for the forum.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. It may take a little while to dial in your technique. I would stick with one set up and then only change one thing at a time. To change everything at once might cause you some problems. I also do not go for BBS anymore. I just do a 3 pass shave and then finish. Anything left behind can be taken out tomorrow. Tech's are fantastic razors and I love mine. Some find them far to mild but I prefer a milder razor. If you think that you want a different razor you get yourself a Gillette Slim adjustable. You can find the setting that suits you stick with it. There are quite a few on Ebay, that is where mine came from. Anyway thanks for checking in and nice to meet another Australian.

I struggle with the same area with a Voskhod, but do better with a Nacet, Feather, or Bic. Since I can’t get the ideal angle there, I find the sharpest blades work better - but of course they have their own trade-offs. (Daily shaver, Karve A-plate.)

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I suggest that you continue what you're doing for another couple of months, and then make up your mind. It's easy to get sucked into Acquisition Disorders.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I suggest that you continue what you're doing for another couple of months, and then make up your mind. It's easy to get sucked into Acquisition Disorders.

I have learned that it's not only possible, but probable that you can get sucked into AD at the very first purchase.

It happened to me. Sucked right in. I must say I got some dang good deals from right here on the BST forum. That allowed me to collect a few razors and get my wife and kid hooked up to DE shave for pocket change.

Of course, once I had them dialed in, the old ball and chain placed me on a forced sabbatical.

Luckily, I get the mail and she doesn't see my pay pal account!!!!!!!! What they don't know, doesn't bother them!

Welcome to B&B.
Often through (on both fresh and a few shaves old blades), patches of very light fuzz remain and are "heard" and felt along and under the jawline.. depite one of WTG, ATG passes.

I'm not sure how to adapt my technique or if I need something more aggressive? an OC?
Don at Techichi (nice bloke btw) has a OC with a longer handle and i'm wondering if a longer handle might be an adaption that would help.
You may an additional pass or even a little blade buffing in the troublesome areas and the jawline is tricky. Keeping working on improving the technique.
A longer handle gives less control in my view. Keep with the current setup a while longer.

Welcome to B & B, enjoy! This is a great place with tons of information. It's the people that make this such an interesting & informative forum. As others have said, continue working on your technique. Try to stay with the same setup for a month to start getting muscle memory for proper technique. Each razor & blade shave different, so it becomes an endless battle searching for that great shave when you haven't first learned how to shave properly. I know, a month is forever! But you will come out on the other end more knowledgable as to your preferences as well as a better shaver. Most of all, enjoy!

Thanks Fellas, I'll persist.

I gave my Orthotist a pack of Timors (He's German) to try out after he complimented my on my shave!

Gidday all,

I've done my first month on U2.. worked through samplers.. enjoyed the G&F Timor Solingen especially and Voskhod Teflon.. Derbys of all varieties left me "meh"

I've been using the Proraso menthol soap at home and a Speick stick here in hospital and rotating through an old old favourite synthetic body shop brush I can't part with, a Frank "Boar" and a mighty mixed Omega 11047..

The bracing osma stone that I thought would spend more time stopping bleeding has in fact been instead a consistent teacher and informant as to my developing technique.
even experimented with microwaved wash cloths for prep as my flat's delivered water to the basin isn't especially hot.

I was expecting to hamburger my face (ok I'm exaggerating) but I've been really happy as to how I've begun.

I'm loving ditching the cartridges and and i'm not obsessed about the perfect result..
I've had the best and most enjoyable shave in years.. beating anything I could manage with M*ch3.

I'm almost always a daily shaver and my growth is not at all coarse, light and can be patchy.

A real fair dinkum beard is not in my stars.. I just look like a bum if I don't shave for ten days, no matter how I try to trim it.

My peripheral vision isn't great at L/R extremities so I'm kinda shaving "by feel".. and I 'm ok with that.

Don at Techichi (nice bloke btw) has a OC with a longer handle and i'm wondering if a longer handle might be an adaption that would help. (a 4in handle as opposed to my tech's 3in)

I rather like the blades I'm using for their efficiency, longevity and comfort.

Cheers all and thanks for the forum.

Welcome and well done!

This is a great hobby with some really bad enablers here so be careful rofl.

Not chasing a perfect shave and enjoying it is the perfect way to shave.

Best of luck n happy shaves!

Mawashi

Top Bottom