What's new

Does anyone only go ATG with a Mach 3/5 or similar?

I'm finally to the point of discussing DE shaving with friends and peers and I keep getting surprised to hear that most guys (and women) are only accustomed to going against the grain when using a cartridge razor. They lather up, do 1 pass & done. Seems like most chicks start at the ankles & work north. (I was always a 2 pass cartridge shaver, but had a tremendously thick and angry beard during my 20's.)

Are most new DE users surprised to learn that multiple passes are needed? I wonder if this is where traditional shaving gets a bad rap for taking more time per shave? My routine doesn't take any more of my time each day, but it is more steps.

Last night friends were over so I showed them my beard growth grain map and they flipped out. In their late 30's but have never heard of doing such a thing! Was very cool to the see their 'ah ha!' moment reactions, as they realized internally that technique has caused them issues their entire lives.

I'm only about 2 months into DE shaving, but have to recommend to everybody starting out that technique is key...not which razor, blade or cream you use. Give DE shaving a full month of experimentation & patience, then let the buying disorders begin.

I think you're onto something. I used to do only one official "pass" with my Fusion (ATG), but would also do touch-ups without lathering again. Complete relearning with the DE, but very much worth it :).

I've only been at it for less than a month, but feel like I'm getting noticeably better. You're definitely right in the fact that technique is key...

Joe

With carts I did one pass from north to south and had huge irritation. I tried once to relather and go ATG but it was a nightmare.

I think it depends on growth, before DE I used to do 1 pass WTG with a mach 3 or King of Shaves Razor or a fusion every day.

If I missed a few days I would do a 2 pass WTG and if I wanted a really close shave 1 ATG but the 1st pass gave a fairly acceptable shave. Don't forget you press more with a cartridge razor and you can't really cut yourself unless you really are careless.

I used to hate shaving, was a chore, since picking up a DE razor I love it, even with the irritation and cuts I am currently getting as only 1 week in.

I even tried an electric razor in between, complete waste of time, have no idea how people use them.

Long before I stumbled upon the traditional way of shaving, I figured out that dragging a cart across my face in a certain diection took more effort and led to more irritation and ingrown hairs. Logically, then, I stopped doing that. In that respect, I've been doing WTG/XTG shaves since I was twelve. My method is actually about the same. I just use different hardware and software. As far as women and their legs, I have no idea how that works. My fiancé does one ATG pass on her legs and never has trouble. She thought I was nuts for doing what I do. After all, isn't it all the same hair? No, it isn't.

I always did WTG and ATG with my M3 or whichever cheap disposable that was used.

The shave from a DE is completely different. There is a learning curve and some nicks and irritation as you build your technique, but my skin has vastly improved.

I enjoy taking my time to shave. Grooming is much more enjoyable. It is my time to spoil myself.

To me it's therapy.

With carts I did one pass from north to south and had huge irritation.
+1 - That's all I ever did. It wasn't until after I was reading about DE shaving that I started to do multiple passes in different directions. Whenever I use a modern shaving system I now do three passes with a single or twin bladed razor or a single pass with three or more blades. My face can't take much more than that and the results approach what I get with my DE.

Before I really looked into shaving (8-9 years ago) my shave routine was a real mess. I used a Mach 3, my dad didn't teach me a thing about shaving so I just used the closest canned goop I could get my hands on and did a single pass with all sort of directions. After that, I moved towards straight shaving and things were much better. More care, more passes, better shaves. I migrated to electric for a while for convenience, and have recently picked up de shaving, which is a compromise between speed and quality of shave for me. That said the compromise is very small, I can now get a better shave with a de than I ever could with the straight.

A few months from now I do plan to break out my Mach 3 and try a 3 pass shave. Should be interesting & probably not a half bad shave.

Funny thing about cartridge razors, for me at least, was how often I'd bleed. For many years I worked downtown Chicago & my employer purchased all of our work clothes...it was a hoity toity real estate gig working for blue bloods. After a few months my boss went nuts on my 3 day stubble & required me to shave daily. After about a week I destroyed 3 white collared shirts with a bloody neck in the mornings, and all I could tell my boss was "I told you so". Luckily I was able to rock the Don Johnson look for 7 more years!

Man, I really stunk at shaving for like 25 years. :w00t:

I'm finally to the point of discussing DE shaving with friends and peers and I keep getting surprised to hear that most guys (and women) are only accustomed to going against the grain when using a cartridge razor. They lather up, do 1 pass & done. Seems like most chicks start at the ankles & work north. (I was always a 2 pass cartridge shaver, but had a tremendously thick and angry beard during my 20's.)

Are most new DE users surprised to learn that multiple passes are needed? I wonder if this is where traditional shaving gets a bad rap for taking more time per shave? My routine doesn't take any more of my time each day, but it is more steps.

Last night friends were over so I showed them my beard growth grain map and they flipped out. In their late 30's but have never heard of doing such a thing! Was very cool to the see their 'ah ha!' moment reactions, as they realized internally that technique has caused them issues their entire lives.

I'm only about 2 months into DE shaving, but have to recommend to everybody starting out that technique is key...not which razor, blade or cream you use. Give DE shaving a full month of experimentation & patience, then let the buying disorders begin.
I agree with you it is about technique, but we must also factor in many variables such as razor, blade and shave products. Those factors along with proper technique is why B&B has become the shave destination of the Interwebs.

I used Mach3 + Barbasol + shower-shaving and always did just a single ATG pass (for as much as I have a grain; it's kinda random but there's a vague trend that I call a grain and which acts somewhat like a grain). Result with a brand new cartridge was less irritation than I get with DE and some sub-weepers; with a cartridge that had dozens of shaves in its history I didn't get those sub-weepers and irritation was about the same as DE. Either way, I got a perfect BBS that stayed smooth for 30+ hours. It was extremely effective and inexpensive but just another annoying chore.

I can't imagine that additional passes would have made a difference.

I am still using a cartridge as I am waiting for my Parker to arrive.....I lathered up and did a WTG, XTG, and ATG, I acually got a DFS, but I also managed to nick myself on the XTG......oh well, at least I know my beard growth now for when my DE gets here, and I have the lather down pat as well.:001_rolle

I predict that you will get roped in with the Parker. You're ahead of the curve being familiar with multiple passes and making lather.

I am still using a cartridge as I am waiting for my Parker to arrive.....I lathered up and did a WTG, XTG, and ATG, I acually got a DFS, but I also managed to nick myself on the XTG......oh well, at least I know my beard growth now for when my DE gets here, and I have the lather down pat as well.:001_rolle
Your armed and dangerous, now let us know when the armed gear get there....

Top Bottom