What's new

Does anyone have just one soap?

I’ve had to lie down for a while after reading this...😱
Most of us here have tons of soap, not one. WE are the weird ones. 🤪

I had a buddy over a while back and showed him some of my soaps and he couldn’t get his head around me having more than a few. He said it was like “having 20 or more different deodorants or toothpastes”. I hate him him for his sensible thoughts, but he is not wrong! Lol

How dare you ask a question like this!!!! Kidding aside. Like the majority I started with one soap, VDH Luxury, 5 years ago and it is a nice soap and then a few weeks or so in I found this site, need I say more? I may be down to around 25 soaps but have bought twice that and have sold some off, gave some away, used some as shower soap, gave some Sue Moore auction and had to throw out 2 due to going rancid. I have been good at curbing my spending since I kind of "seen the light" so to speak and realize I have too many and will never use them up in my lifetime. For some dumb reason I was in the drugstore today and saw Williams Mug Soap on the shelf and had to buy it. Not sure why as I had this in the beginning and couldn't get a lather and tossed it out. I think I am determined to get it to lather this time.

This thread has got me thinking. I’m perfectly happy with one tooth paste, one tooth brush, comb, shampoo, deodorant, hair wax etc. etc. Why is it that I need ten shaving brushes, six razors and seven soaps?

Then it dawned on me; unlike the first items shaving is not a chore or mere grooming necessity to me. It’s a sensory experience and a personal time out card that I get to play on a daily basis. I enjoy the smell of the soap, feel of the brush, sound of the blade and look of the scales. Achieving the perfect result is a daily challenge. When you’ve done it right you step out the door feeling like a million bucks.

For the average person, one soap would be the norm and he wouldn’t give much thought to which one it was. It would go into the shopping basket with everything else for the bathroom. Most likely whatever the supermarket has on special. For aficionados, on the other hand, having one of anything within a specific field of interest is extremely rare. We seek out the best and often go to extraordinary lengths to find it.

I guess I'm a creature of habit. That, or I've just never tried anything better. :biggrin1:

My one soap is Proraso Red. I just love the scent of it, and it's always "worked" for me.

At the moment I've only got an arko stick. When it finishes I'll buy a speick stick. When that finishes I'll buy a tabac stick. I definitely couldn't keep more than maybe 3 soaps/creams at a time but I definitely prefer to finish and use one at a time. These products do expire eventually and I don't see the point in keeping years and years worth of product anyway. Just buy as you need to.

This thread has got me thinking. I’m perfectly happy with one tooth paste, one tooth brush, comb, shampoo, deodorant, hair wax etc. etc. Why is it that I need ten shaving brushes, six razors and seven soaps?

Then it dawned on me; unlike the first items shaving is not a chore or mere grooming necessity to me. It’s a sensory experience and a personal time out card that I get to play on a daily basis. I enjoy the smell of the soap, feel of the brush, sound of the blade and look of the scales. Achieving the perfect result is a daily challenge. When you’ve done it right you step out the door feeling like a million bucks.

For the average person, one soap would be the norm and he wouldn’t give much thought to which one it was. It would go into the shopping basket with everything else for the bathroom. Most likely whatever the supermarket has on special. For aficionados, on the other hand, having one of anything within a specific field of interest is extremely rare. We seek out the best and often go to extraordinary lengths to find it.
I understand how you feel. For me I have been in this game for quite a few years now and I have had my fun...played the field...and had the pleasure of trying dozens and dozens of different soaps and creams. After stockpiling so many it really just left me feeling more bewildered than anything. Too many choices. And most were perfectly fine soaps and creams. But now I am ready to settle down with one or two. I do miss going to the mailbox though...there was something nice about always expecting a parcel with shaving goodies.

I’d use only one soap if it worked for every season! I used to use 4 but now only use 2 since I’m super super picky:

Palmolive stick for when it’s really cold and dry out and

Speick stick for when it’s warmer with more humidity.

Great idea for a thread, watching with interest!

Yep, I only have one soap. Williams Mug Soap. How to use it has been discussed ad-nauseum in other threads. I will say I bloom it and use a damp brush. Now, I have Palmolive cream I use once in awhile or Barbasol original canned if I am in a huge hurry.

I have almost one soap, but not quite. I use MdC about 28 days a month. Every once in a while, for no apparent reason, I just want a change. For a couple of years the alternative has been WK Pasha's Pride. I got some SV for Christmas and am now auditioning it to see which soap wins the alternative battle.

I only use one razor, so I'm sure I could go down to one soap, but for now I'm going to continue being that wild and crazy guy.
What's the razor?

I used to have just one...once upon a time.
But it's been so long, I don't even remember what it was.
Now I have enough to use a different one every day of the week, no...every day of the month.
...so, I'm considered a minimalist here.

Yep, I only have one soap. Williams Mug Soap. How to use it has been discussed ad-nauseum in other threads. I will say I bloom it and use a damp brush. Now, I have Palmolive cream I use once in awhile or Barbasol original canned if I am in a huge hurry.
As I noted above, I was a loyal William's user for 40+ years. I considered closing the circle and going back to my old number one soap, but decided against it. No particular reason, Williams is an excellent soap. I just want to make a new soap my number one (and possibly two).

I should also note, I now use only one razor and blade type: the EJ3one6 and Tiger blades. I narrowed myself down to one after collecting and trying a large number of vintage and new razors. How large you ask? At least 50 to 75. Yup, not much more to say.

Last edited:
One of many for some

Many of one for me.....

proxy.php

Top Bottom