What's new

Does anyone have just one soap?

I would never be able to use just one soap lol. My collection (museum) of soaps is way too vast to be able to whittle it down to just one, even if i was to share everyone on the block could shave for life hahaha which is probably a true statement. Enjoy the variety WAY too much and treat shaving as a hobby but can understand many people do use just a single soap at a time then purchase another once it runs out. We are all different and whatever makes you happy is the right choice IMO.

I used one per year for many years (~20). My parents would buy me a puck of Crabtree & Eveyln (Sandalwood/Sienna/Lime) each year for Christmas. The Puck often lasted longer than 1 year (triple milled).

The appeal for straight shaving was the minimalism. 1 razor & 1 strop will last a life time and can be passed on to future generations. My son started straight shaving in 2020.

For his birthday I bought him a straight razor and a soap called Proraso Green, never heard of it but what the hell. I quickly discovered the joys of Proraso & bought the Red & White. The local supermarket sells a cheap but very good Sandalwood cream which I snapped up for the two of us.

So I'm flush with 4 soaps & I use a different one every day. One day I might discover Barister & Man or the adorable Nobel Otter, who knows.

I have halved my soaps from 120 to 60.

If I had to choose just one, it's an easy choice!...MWF!!

Hopefully it doesn't come to that though as I really enjoy this hobby!

And how many of those will expire before you use up one or two of them?

Not sure.
I've only had a couple of artisan soaps actually go bad in the last several years so I'm pretty sure I'll get through most before they go bad.

Half of them are triple milled so no risk of those going off, maybe just some scent dissipation at worst.

If I were going to do that, have just one soap, I think Tabac in stick form might be it. Someday when I've used up everything else I have, I'll see.

I've got 2. PdP 63 is my long time favorite. I got a stick of Taconic Shave Urban Woods through Amazon while I was staying with relatives for a few months. I like it so much that I use it at home now too. It's among the rare hard American veggie soaps. I prefer hard and veggie, whilst most artisan American soaps are soft and tallow.

I find it difficult to having loads of soap. In fact I've ended up mixing soaps together and now have a large bowl of this one type! Never happier! When this vanishes, I'll buy just one soap or cream at a time. Not sure why I'm this way with soaps, but I can certainly understand guys who say they have loads of sticks of Arko or some other variety they like.

One soap??? Heck why not ask if anyone uses anything besides a Rambo knife, a cup of dirty river water, and a broken mirror shard?! Life's a buffet man, so down the rabbit hole I go! A straight razor shave at a barber cost at least 15 bucks, so even if you us a fifteen dollar puck just five times, so what? Pass it off to a buddy, or use it in the shower. That being said, I could do just fine with Van Der Hagen deluxe, Wilkinson sword blades in my K3 Gillette tech, and some cheap bulldog moisturizer. GREAT shave and 10x cheaper than any cartridges and cans.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rusty:
Williams was my first soap and after many, many years of using different soaps (i.e., ‘trail & error’), I finally found myself as a VDH Deluxe man...my 'one & only go-to’ soap.

After quite a spell using Deluxe, long time ago I tried the Luxury Scented and
proxy.php
...what a difference!! :thumbsup:

The Luxury Scented out-shinned the Deluxe (which was then my 'go-to' soap), in terms of ingredients, lather, lubrication, cushion, glide and scent.

I also add 10 drops of glycerin per puck (and about 6 drops of Clubman Reserve Tequila Tease), before I melt it (nuke), for 'Überlather', extra lubrication, cushion, glide and scent . :w00t:

Read More: VDH Luxury Scented Soap Reviews, Post your VDH experiments Here and The Van Der Hagen Society

vdh-logo-1-jpg.1040214
“It's time to start shaving like a Van der Hagen man". VDH Slogan

Top Bottom