What's new

Does Anyone Actually Enjoy High Wattage Vaping Units?

Renato, I'd suggest visiting a reputable vape store and having them build your first couple of coils. They'll have resistance wire for sale, as well, which shouldn't cost much. I think I pay around $4 for a few feet. But you have to be able to calculate exactly how much is contained in your coils (or use an ohm tester with a 510 connection) to know what your build resistance is. The risk of venting a battery is too high for you to try yourself without some in-person instruction. You don't "wrap" the coils around the wick material; rather, you should pack the wick through the coils after they're built. I think there is some confusion there, and I'm worried that if it isn't done correctly, you may be at risk of injuring yourself.

On the other subject, I love high-wattage vaping -- when I'm using an RDA (I have a couple of Mutation X V2s I build at around .18ohms) -- but I also have an Aspire Atlantis tank and just got the Kanger Sub-Tank, and both are amazing between 25-30 watts (both max at 30W). Great flavor and great production. I bought the Kanger because it holds 6ml of liquid, almost 3x more than the Aspire, and that is a huge difference. However, when I'm dripping, the Sigelei gets cranked to between 55 and 70W, depending on the juice. I think the max VG liquids taste better with more heat, but that's just me. BTW, if anyone is wondering, I LOVE my Sigelei 100W regulated mod. I'll never go back to mechanical. It's just too much work.

All these things said, I think that regulated mods and the new sub-ohm tanks are a much safer and more convenient way to enjoy higher wattage vaping with more flavor and production without having to learn electrical engineering and thermodynamics. Just my two cents.

-Mark
Thanks Mark,
You're right, the video did show the chap winding the wire around a spanner and then pushing the cotton through it. Unfortunately, there aren't many vape shops around here (probably because it's illegal to vape nicotine liquid down here) - I still haven't come across one, so I have to rely on what I can find on-line.

I may well have to buy one of those Aspire Atlantis tanks that everyone and you so love around here.

I did buy a mechanical Mod, which left me a tad confused - it had no on-off button, and as best I could figure, one had to use the base which screws the battery in as the on-off mechanism. That's pretty basic!

I shall follow your advice and proceed slowly and carefully.
Regards,
Renato

It's kanthal wire... with varying gauges. It's a lot cheaper to just buy a roll of kanthal and make the coils yourself. It's also relatively easy to do once you get the hang of it... especially with coil jigs and stuff like the Kuro Koiler. They even sell knock off Kuro Koilers on Fasttech for dirt cheap.

I used to do coils by hand, but I got a Kuro Koiler due to laziness. It just makes things ridiculously easy.
Thanks Jason,
Now that I know what it's called, I find it everywhere on Ebay, including ready rolled.
Cheers,
Renato

Just to touch on wattage one last time. I think the biggest part of being able to use higher wattage builds is a: the wicking and b: the airflow.

The reason you're getting burnt tasting hits off your vv devices is you're turning it up too high for the coils you're using on your vv machine thingy. If the wire in your coil is vaporizing juice faster than the wick can supply it the only option is to burn the wick (or at least attempt to). Mechanical mods have this same kind of issue too. If I've just built a tiny little 28g coil with an inner diameter of .5mm and I try to run cotton through it and expect that to provide enough juice i'm in for a lung full of burnt cotton. I have never really had any issues with coils that have an inner diameter of 2mm or up. The biggest i've done is 3.5 mm but that takes up a LOT of space in your rda.

I also use 100% vg juice. It's thicker and doesn't wick as well but I like the smoothness.

You can use pg/vg blends to thin out your juice and for sure it will wick better but pg is typically associated with throat hit.

Airflow, imo, cools vape and causes it to be less dense. Blowing clouds? yes! Airflow is your friend but it is also true that flavor is sacrificed.

I use an ipv3 mod at 45watts with my Aspire clearo (.5 ohms) and love it! Other people that have tried my setup seem to really enjoy it too. Clouds for days and great flavor. Surprisingly not too hot either. My friends and I might be crazy or something.

Last edited:
I use an ipv3 mod at 45watts with my Aspire mod (.5 ohms) and love it! Other people that have tried my setup seem to really enjoy it too. Clouds for days and great blavor. Surprisingly not too hot either. My friends and I might be crazy or something.
How long do your coils last at that wattage? The Atlantis isn't meant to be used above 30w.

Just to touch on wattage one last time. I think the biggest part of being able to use higher wattage builds is a: the wicking and b: the airflow.

The reason you're getting burnt tasting hits off your vv devices is you're turning it up too high for the coils you're using on your vv machine thingy. If the wire in your coil is vaporizing juice faster than the wick can supply it the only option is to burn the wick (or at least attempt to). Mechanical mods have this same kind of issue too. If I've just built a tiny little 28g coil with an inner diameter of .5mm and I try to run cotton through it and expect that to provide enough juice i'm in for a lung full of burnt cotton. I have never really had any issues with coils that have an inner diameter of 2mm or up. The biggest i've done is 3.5 mm but that takes up a LOT of space in your rda.

I also use 100% vg juice. It's thicker and doesn't wick as well but I like the smoothness.

You can use pg/vg blends to thin out your juice and for sure it will wick better but pg is typically associated with throat hit.

Airflow, imo, cools vape and causes it to be less dense. Blowing clouds? yes! Airflow is your friend but it is also true that flavor is sacrificed.

Very interesting information, thanks. It may be of use to me one day but currently I am still occasionally looking at my RDA unit, at my mechanical mod, at my bits of cotton and at my coiled wire which currently is all sprung out and say to myself that one day I will have to revisit the Youtube video about how to coil wire. It had looked like child's play when I last watched it.

I think I have low frustration tolerance.
Cheers,
Renato

I guess I am still old school, I own VV/Vw box mods and still onlly use my mechs. Sounds to me like you have a large learning curve for your new hobby. Although some good information has been mentioned, I must guide you to this site "battery university" Please run a search on google and read about battery safety!! Seems everyone is very eager to tell folks what to do or how to build a device but rarely will see anyone guide folks to battery safety.

PS: I am not saying by any means anyone said or done anything wrong I am just stating what I have seen in the vaping community, not in the forum.

Research for knowledge, be patient and use common sense!!

I guess I am still old school, I own VV/Vw box mods and still onlly use my mechs. Sounds to me like you have a large learning curve for your new hobby. Although some good information has been mentioned, I must guide you to this site "battery university" Please run a search on google and read about battery safety!! Seems everyone is very eager to tell folks what to do or how to build a device but rarely will see anyone guide folks to battery safety.

PS: I am not saying by any means anyone said or done anything wrong I am just stating what I have seen in the vaping community, not in the forum.

Research for knowledge, be patient and use common sense!!

Thanks, I am taking all this very slowly.

I bought a clone of the Atlantis Aspire and used it on my DNA 35. I found it just okay at 7 watts, but didn't like it much at the higher wattages.

But at the moment I seem to have settled down quite happily with the fairly big vapor output I get from two Clearomizers I bought, namely the Justfog 1453 and Justfog 2043 units that work quite well in variable voltage e-cigarettes at low wattages. They use up quite a lot of e-liquid relative. I'm not sure I actually want to use much more than that. Though the Justfog units did have a problem, in that they would start to gurgle and then stop working. It turned out that the top metal element where the wick sits had unscrewed, but after I screwed it back with a pair of tweezers, each unit worked perfectly again.
Regards,
Renato

I bought a clone of the Atlantis Aspire and used it on my DNA 35. I found it just okay at 7 watts, but didn't like it much at the higher wattages.

Just a headsup, the cloned coils are terrible.
I have tried one, and hated it. It would be worth it to purchase a genuine coil, as you will get much better performance out of your Atlantis.
It is also worth it to note the Aspire Atlantis with 0.5ohm coils is meant to be vaped at 20-30w

Last edited:
It is also worth it to note the Aspire Atlantis with 0.5ohm coils is meant to be vaped at 20-30w

I vape mine on my IPV3 at 36W and use King's Crown and other juices in the 70/30 range. I'm at a month on this coil, but starting to see a change in resistance so I'll probably change when I get home.

I love vaping my Dark Horse rda at higher wattages and love it, but one must always ensure good airflow at higher wattages. I prefer box mods for sub ohm vaping, they take the hassle out of building and I feel they are a safer alternative. Plus my company started selling all manner of box mods and I got a few to use as samples, LOL

I vape mine on my IPV3 at 36W and use King's Crown and other juices in the 70/30 range. I'm at a month on this coil, but starting to see a change in resistance so I'll probably change when I get home.

I love vaping my Dark Horse rda at higher wattages and love it, but one must always ensure good airflow at higher wattages. I prefer box mods for sub ohm vaping, they take the hassle out of building and I feel they are a safer alternative. Plus my company started selling all manner of box mods and I got a few to use as samples, LOL

Not bad, I only ever got a week out of the coils, maybe two at most. I mainly use RDA's, and RTA's at the minute.

What wattage you running the Dark Horse on, and with what build?
Where do you work mate?

High wattage boxes are the way of the future for sure. Love my sigelei 150w for drippers and my rdna 40 for anything else whether it be tank or genny with nickel.

Not bad, I only ever got a week out of the coils, maybe two at most. I mainly use RDA's, and RTA's at the minute.

What wattage you running the Dark Horse on, and with what build?
Where do you work mate?

Right now the Dark Horse has a dual coil (5 wraps 26 gauge kanthal) setup that reads .4-ish in the ohms department. It's a little higher than that now, but they're getting old and I need to change them. I vape that setup at 60-70 watts depending on how I feel. Never gone higher than that, guess I should try it, lol

I work for a company called Phillips & King and love it. I worked for our parent company Kretek for years, but prefer Being on this side of the fence ;-). We are a full line distributor for specialty tobacco products. Anything from premium cigars to vapor products. We have our own brand in vapor, it's called Voodoo

Right now the Dark Horse has a dual coil (5 wraps 26 gauge kanthal) setup that reads .4-ish in the ohms department. It's a little higher than that now, but they're getting old and I need to change them. I vape that setup at 60-70 watts depending on how I feel. Never gone higher than that, guess I should try it, lol

I work for a company called Phillips & King and love it. I worked for our parent company Kretek for years, but prefer Being on this side of the fence ;-). We are a full line distributor for specialty tobacco products. Anything from premium cigars to vapor products. We have our own brand in vapor, it's called Voodoo

Sweet, Google search doesn't turn up much except a locked website :lol: Was curious what y'all stock.

Top Bottom