What's new

DOC - do Double Open Combs work?

They're praised for allowing the lather to glide through the gaps on the top plate allowing for multiple passes in one go. Is this of any use though? Or is it just gimmicky? Are they more aggressive?
I don't think that's quite what's happening. The DOC holds more water when you rinse it, this helps lubricate the area being shaved. It's better for buffing than doing multiple full passes, and it's especially good for the chin and mustache areas where the whiskers are tougher.

Open combs ,as previously and
correctly stated ,are actually
remnants of the past .

They are difficult to clog .
Better suited to an era where most
men shaved once a week more or less.
Later ( after WW 1 ) ,
when shaving was spread as
an everyday practice ,razor makers
tilted more to the solid bar or
scalloped ( “ closed COMB “ ) designs ,
as they do glide better than OCs and offer higher levels of safety when shaving short stubble.
On the other hand they need frequent
rinsing ,otherwise they tend to clog
pretty easily ,if for example they deal with a weeks growth .

Just a different way of handling
gathered lather and cut hair .
Suited to longer growth .

Open combs ,as previously and
correctly stated ,are actually
remnants of the past .

They are difficult to clog .
Better suited to an era where most
men shaved once a week more or less.
Later ( after WW 1 ) ,
when shaving was spread as
an everyday practice ,razor makers
tilted more to the solid bar or
scalloped ( “ closed COMB “ ) designs ,
as they do glide better than OCs and offer higher levels of safety when shaving short stubble.
On the other hand they need frequent
rinsing ,otherwise they tend to clog
pretty easily ,if for example they deal with a weeks growth .

Just a different way of handling
gathered lather and cut hair .
Suited to longer growth .

Not sure you have the history quite correct. The early brushless creams tended to clog open comb razors, sticking between the teeth. The scalloped safety bar seen first on the Barbasol razors (1934), and the safety bar of the Tech (1939) and the Gem Clog-Pruf (1940) were marketed to address this problem of clogging of open combs.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I have a PAA DOC and it's probably the mildest razor I own. Those lather slots might work but I'm not sure I could tell when I can't get the blade to touch my skin anyway.

Tighten the handle down and then back it off about 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn; it will be a completely different razor. Made all the difference for me.

Don't know if DOC work in general however in just shaving with the PAA Ascension can report. The razor leaves lather trails, is incredibly smooth and mild feeling = comfortable and shaves wonderfully close. My first shave was a rushed (no real prep) just washed neck with a warm cloth, lathed on Proraso Red and went to work and instantly became one of my favorite razors! Thought the teeth would be uncomfortable since they feel.... well not smooth but on the face, just superb!!! YMMV but to me had an amazing shave!
186558567_1210649672712720_5160335022089395558_n.jpg

Of course YMMV, but for me they really work. I typically shave 3-4 times a week. My only experience with a DOC is a Yaqi Mellon that I bought on a whim because it was so inexpensive (only $4 at the time). I put it on an iKon OSS handle and proceeded to get the best shave I've ever had. I was stunned. It seems to succeed at doing what an open comb is supposed to do. Compared to my EJ DE89, Fatboy, Slim (and a few other vintage Gillette's), it's not even close. My only other experience with an open comb is an old Razorock "Rake" (an OC Pearl base with a DE89 style top cap). While that razor gives a very nice shave, I've never felt like the open comb really made any significant difference insofar as what it is supposed to do. I've continued to keep the Mellon in heavy rotation and every time I use it, I'm just blown away at the combination of comfort and closeness. It just works for me. Recently, when PAA released the more affordable Ascension Select DOC, I grabbed one based on my enthusiasm for the Mellon. It just arrived today, so I will try it out and report back.

My stainless steel PAA DOC ascension is amazing! Really has become my top razor with my Lupo, Game Changers and Fatip Gentile. So much so that I ordered the copper as well. Waiting to see your thoughts on it?

Just had my first shave with the Ascension Select DOC twisted into the "snug" position. The result was probably one of the mildest shaves I've ever had, but still with great results. This DOC razor is quite different from the Yaqi Mellon DOC which is not quite so mild. I must say that the Ascension is a beautiful razor. PAA's beefy stainless version the vintage Gillette handle is very impressive. Next time I will try "adjusting" it to a slightly more aggressive setting, but overall I'd say it's a keeper.

After spending more time with the Ascension Select DOC, I would say that it is probably the smoothest razor I own. At first I though it was mild, and when used in the "snug" position, maybe it is a little bit. Now, I back it off just a bit and get incredibly smooth shaves. I think "smooth" is a better description than "mild". Compared to the Yaqi Mellon, I noticed that the combs are thinner and deeper on the Ascension which allows even more lather in the channels. Also, the head of the Ascension is significantly more arched than the Mellon. Nevertheless, I love both. IMO, the DOC design really works!

I enjoy using the Mellon (aka SLOC) razor head usually mounted on a stainless handle such as the WCS 84s or RR Super Knurl. It's an easy shave that you can do on autopilot. The open cap I think does hold a bit more water than the standard caps, but it is not revolutionary or anything like that.

Top Bottom