What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

DOC - do Double Open Combs work?

If you find a smoother blade than Shark with it, let me be in on it.
I've been using it primarily with Personna Israeli Reds. I've had similar results with Gillette Platinum blades, and I'm not sure that I've used any other blades in it.

I've been using it primarily with Personna Israeli Reds. I've had similar results with Gillette Platinum blades, and I'm not sure that I've used any other blades in it.
Let me ask whether you shave riding the top cap or the guard bar, too. I shave by guard riding, it feels smoother.

Well report when my PAA stainless Ascension comes in. Very curious on smoothness, mild or aggression and efficiency. Wondering if the DOC adds anything other than esthetics. My current go to razors are the Fatip Gentile, Razorock gamechanger .68p (just got it and used it) thinking it replaced my .84p

Other razors in the Den.
Timeless Bronze SB .38
Parker 87r
Razorock Mamba 53
Fatip open comb grande

I think they are ok, if you like buying and trying razors....try one....the shave is good, average....just do not spend much money in them. RR and Yaqi have cheap versions. I think the only benefit is that they hold water in those teeth.....

Before I saw this thread today, I had ordered three razor heads last night from RazoRock/Italian Barber: the SLOC, the German 37 slant, and the RazoRock OLD Type, along with a bulldog handle.

So hopefully, I will be able to chime in with an opinion on the SLOC soon. I am looking forward to testing it.

Let me ask whether you shave riding the top cap or the guard bar, too. I shave by guard riding, it feels smoother.
I have been using double edge razors for most of my 55+ shaving years, and until I read about it in this forum I never gave any thought to shaving angle. The one time I concentrated on it, I cut myself pretty badly. For me, each razor has a "natural angle" and that is what I use.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ambassador
Did this with mine...

AA

If you find a smoother blade than Shark with it, let me be in on it.
I have the Yaqi DOC as well. Paired with a Voskhod blade. Awesome! Very smooth and efficient.
The head is similar to the SLOC. It's self lubricating and it just gives an awesome shave.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

BradWorld

Contributor
I got the PAA DOC when it was all the rage way back when. I found it so mild that I could do 6 full passes and not get a remotely clean shave. And I was strictly a mild shaver back then. When the SLOC came out originally, it was reported to be more effective, so I bought one. I was not disappointed. It’s a much better shaver for me. Still mild, but unlike the DOC, it actually shaves the hairs off my face. Sold the DOC, kept the SLOC. Based in my experience with the DOC, I never got the confidence to try any of the other PAA variations, which are all more expensive. Does the gimmick work? I think it does. At the very least they are really cool looking razors.

I have been using double edge razors for most of my 55+ shaving years, and until I read about it in this forum I never gave any thought to shaving angle. The one time I concentrated on it, I cut myself pretty badly. For me, each razor has a "natural angle" and that is what I use.
Yuck! As far as the cut goes. If it ain’t broken don’t fix it comes to mind.😇

I don't know if the DOC designs "work" if that means improving lather distribution in a meaningful way. Remember all these 30s designs, AFAIK were meant to address the problem of brushless creams clogging which isn't much of an issue anymore 90 years on. That being said, I don't really care as the SLOC is a fine shaver and more importantly for me, the cap is swappable with myriad razor plates and oftentimes yields an improved shave over stock.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Top Bottom