What's new

DOC - do Double Open Combs work?

They're praised for allowing the lather to glide through the gaps on the top plate allowing for multiple passes in one go. Is this of any use though? Or is it just gimmicky? Are they more aggressive?

I have a PAA DOC and it's probably the mildest razor I own. Those lather slots might work but I'm not sure I could tell when I can't get the blade to touch my skin anyway.

Which one? The older or the new Ascension? there has been to my knowledge three. Original (mild), EVO (super aggressive) and Ascension (unknown)

R

romsitsa

The original idea (Grand Shave King) was that the slots hold some water, so it will help lubrication.
I don't see how lather caught in the slots could provide any advantage as it only comes in contact with your face after the hair is already cut, but it's not enough to skip a new lathering round.

I'll be honest, I don't notice any additional glide from a DOC. I've used the SLOC, PAA DOC, and PAA Ascension.

M

mtcn77

One thing I have noticed is open comb top caps tend to be shallower, thus enabling a more open blade feel. It is just me though, might be off.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The Yaqi Mellon seems to hold more water when rinsed, so maybe? I just know they look kewl and I have to make an effort to nicks or razor burn with mine.

I think it's a little gimmicky, but the sloc is a smooth razor for sure, but mild. If you rinse it after each stroke, it will for sure hold and release water, but I really didn't notice a difference when doing so.

I think it's the closed comb that's the innovation/gimmic (at least for Gillette). If memory serves most DE razors were open comb for the first few decades.

My theory is that the reason for this is that open comb doesn't clog with off-cut whiskers as easily. Back when they were invented, gentlemen were more apt to shave once per week (before church). Dealing with 7 days of growth is different than dealing with one or maybe two days growth. Open combs are a better solution to the clogging problem. That's just a theory though, and I've never gone long enough between shaves to even test it properly.

I'm not a big fan of open combs and I don't think they offer any benefit to people who shave more than 4 times a month. I shave daily and I've always found closed comb razors to be slightly more comfortable. That said, I have a 3 closed comb razors that do a perfectly fine job, and the closed comb doesn't really detract much either. That's my two cents, but YMMV.

Last edited:
I have the original DOC from PAA, the Yaqi version and a stainless PAA Ascension. The all perform well and I do believe that the top comb allows more water to stay on the razor head, unless one shakes the razor prior to the pass (I do not).

I have the RazoRock SLOC and like many of the other member posts I think it is an awesome razor. I have the HD handle which I really like too. The open comb top cap design on the SLOC definitely holds more water after rinsing than a conventional top cap design. This may improve slickness sometimes but I think it is also the overall design of the razor head which makes it a really good performer.

I've got a SLOC and like it very much. It seems to me that the only benefit may be if you do a good bit of buffing. Sometimes I can see the little lines of lather that it leaves.

I have the Yaqi double open comb slant, and it provides very efficient shaves with quite a bit of blade feel. I have never had any issues with cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. I do think that the design results in much less blade rigidity, since the top cap is quite minimal, but for me that has not translated into any shaving issues at all.

M

mtcn77

I have the Yaqi double open comb slant, and it provides very efficient shaves with quite a bit of blade feel. I have never had any issues with cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. I do think that the design results in much less blade rigidity, since the top cap is quite minimal, but for me that has not translated into any shaving issues at all.
If you find a smoother blade than Shark with it, let me be in on it.

I’ve tried two of them. The PAA cast alloy one which is said to be quite a close replica of the original grand Shave King. It was very mild and docile. I sold it. Then I got the PAA DOC Evolution. A stainless steel version. Very nice! I use it on quite a heavy Stirling Fort Worth handle. It’s aggressive and gives a very close shave. From this limited experience, it seems as if there’s a range of aggressiveness with this design. They are noisy. They don’t clog! Well worth a look IMO.

Top Bottom