What's new

Do you still write in cursive?

I naturally write in cursive, unless when writing my nieces (who don't read or write cursive), or other situations where printed text is appropriate.

I do still write in cursive, although I'm realizing that I really don't write much at all, nowadays. The keyboard has taken over a lot of the writing that I used to do by hand. However, since I started using fountain pens, I find that I am enjoying writing again, especially in cursive. The thing is my hand seems to tire easily when I have to write a lot. As pointed out in one of the preceding posts, keeping a written journal would be good exercise for my writing hand.

My daughter's 5th grade class was introduced to cursive last year. They were taught how to write each letter in cursive, both capital and small letters, practiced writing sentences and that was it. No reports written in cursive, not even writing in cursive for the whole week.

I saw a little video on facebook the other day, and the caption was "Calligraphy is Fun"... The video was literally just someone writing "F*** You* in cursive. Granted it had a little bit of flex writing to it, and it was very nice handwriting, but I had to stop and think "How is this 'calligraphy', this is just handwriting?!"

I still work in cursive but was taught several ways to write it .. So my cursive looks like a mess but can be neat if I take my time and use fine point pen .. Sorry dont have any fancy pen lol..

I use cursive when I'm playing around with my pens. If I want to communicate with other people, I print. :001_rolle

This for me too. Although my print is really a hybrid and many of my letters connect and I rarely have to lift the pen. I think of it as "printsive." It's very fast but more legible, especially to my younger colleagues, several of whom have surprisingly told me they can't read my cursive - not because it's illegible, but because they don't recognize all the letters.

I try to write short stories and I always start with notes in cursive form. Handwriting forces me to think in full sentences rather than much smaller pieces. The danger in not teaching kids to read and write cursive is that it cuts them off from historic documents and leaves them vulnerable as adults to political interpretations of history.

I think I only write in cursive when writing a check. There's another topic of "Do you still..." I'm 25 and mostly write some checks still just as an excuse to write in cursive. I don't have a fountain pen but I do have a nice stainless rollerball that writes beautifully in cursive.

I am 58 and use cursive almost exclusively. But I use fountain pens almost exclusively too.

A few years ago I was using a hybrid of printing and cursive. Some letters are still more like printing(certain capital letters- H, Q, S to name a few )

I am 64 years old and was taught cursive in grade school. By the time I got to high school my writing was a mix of cursive and printing. The older I got the messier my writing became. I once had a job where I had to sign my name on various forms at least 50 times a day and my signature became just a couple of straight lines. When I became interested in fountain pens I saw the need to improve my writing, so I took Michael Sull's course on American Cursive. My writing is now legible and my wife says that it is very beautiful and easy to read. I now look for reasons to write so I can pull out one of my fountain pens and amaze people at old fashioned cursive writing that very few folks today have the ability to read. It is almost as if I am now writing in a secret code with magical implements and one views me as some sort of wizard who knows all the old secrets. Well, maybe I went over the top with that last statement, but I now take pride in my ability to write in a way that is actually readable and rather pretty.

I write in cursive now more than ever before. I enjoy handwriting and practice to get better almost every day, especially since I was given a couple of vintage fountain pens by my father I find it even more enjoyable. Until a month or so ago I didn't realize handwriting (cursive), was no longer taught in schools in most places. I'm in my mid 40's and always thought it was required in school. I had always loved my mothers handwriting as it was always so elegant to me. And my Grandmothers and Grandfathers handwriting was really something to see. Back when my Grandmother and Grandfather were in school it was a required course and not just taught during the day as well as when my mother was in school. I don't remember exactly when I was taught cursive, probably back in first or second grade, and Handwriting wasn't taught as I know it now. I now study handwriting (cursive) to get better at it and make it more readable although I have been told I have a good handwriting I want to get even better at it as my grandparents were back in there day. The fountain pens my father gave me are being restored and I look forward to writing with them soon. For me cursive (Handwriting) is not only my preferred type of writing I strive to make it a daily art form.

I write using cursive and because both my parents were public school teachers, practiced it a lot as a kid using a Sheaffer school fountain pen with Scrip ink. Nowadays I use a good fountain pen and decent paper for almost all my writing.

I write using cursive and because both my parents were public school teachers, practiced it a lot as a kid using a Sheaffer school fountain pen with Scrip ink. Nowadays I use a good fountain pen and decent paper for almost all my writing.

Good for you, but to follow-up, I corrected your last sentence: "Nowadays I **STILL**use a good fountain pen and decent paper for almost all my writing."

I've been using my Sheaffer Student since the '70s and still love it. Skrip Blue is my favorite all-around performing ink of all time.

I haven't written that way besides signing my name in so long I cant remember the last time. Now my wife has such beautiful hand writing she get comments from strangers. Mater of fact, the bug man came by last week to spray the house and yard and she was writing a short not for a co-worker. He told her that it was the best he has seen in his life and its true. Not fancy or anything special just correct and beautiful. I'd frame it under glass to prove in the years to come that this was the way we did it in old days before the computer thing came along.
Sense she not looking over my shoulder, She's 62.

>90% of my writing is cursive. The remainder is drafting style print. I had set out with the Palmer method to improve my handwriting, but ended up just concentrating on legibility. Practice, through writing in a journal, as helped.

My wife and I, though, may be the last of my family to write in cursive. The kids print, even though they were taught cursive in school. I think it was because printing is more legible than cursive when starting out, and they were allowed to submit work in print. OTOH, I notice my mother, who is in her eighties, exclusively prints, and I remember when she wrote cursive as well.

Top Bottom