What's new

Do you remember when you started shaving and what you used?

Started shaving in 1981 at 14 with a Braun Micro Screen. Then I used a Philishave, and started wet shaving at 20 with a Trac II and Gillette Foam. Several incarnations of cartridges since then, but started DE shaving about a year ago, and haven't looked back.

1972 age 12. Started with Dad's old Gillette Fat boy. And of course canned foam. Never could stand an electric. Switched to cartridges some time in the 80's, don't remember exactly when. Switched to shaving soap around 1993. Came back to DE's about 4 years ago.

When I started I was about 14, we were between houses. And we were living in the house of an elderly woman who was the closest thing I've ever had to a grandmother. I remember thinking I needed to do something about my facial hair and the only thing I could find in the bathroom was a pink twin blade disposable razor and a bar of ivory soap. Worked better than nothing lol.

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk

proxy.php

This one, including Wilkinson shaving foam.

When? I don't know... I was probably 15 or something.
I used Gillette Sensor Excel.

And the shaving cream was from Gillette as well. Always been a Gillette guy, not Wilkinson

I was between 14-16 years old. Inherited one of my dad's Gillette Trac II razors. Went through the whole gillette gammet. Sensor excell, mach 3, fusion proglide. Finally got sick of paying $20 for a 4 pack of cartridges and switched to traditional wet shaving when I hit my mid 20's

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I first started out with cheapo disposables, but soon got annoyed with them. While still in my teens I got myself a Wilkinson Sword Classic with matching Wilkinson Sword blades. At work, men 10 years older than me were staggered that I had shunned the latest Gillette cartridge system and plumped for DE instead, as they were intimidated by the DE system. I did have a few cartridge systems over the years, given to me for Christmas or birthday presents, but kept going back to the DE when I ran out of cartridges. I stuck with that till only a few years ago, when I got an Edwin Jagger 3D Diamond and Parker Interceptor. It was only then that I got a brush and soap, and ditched the cans of foam. Almost three decades later, I still have the Wilkinson, and still use it occasionally too.

Born in 1982, started I think around 16, though I didn't need to shave too often back then, used an electric, always hated it as it pulled the hair. Only regularly shaved after 18 when I join the Army and used carts, always with a foam from a can, hated shaving, often pulled then too. Started DE I think back in June this year, I for once actually enjoy shaving now, my wife claims I have an obsession over it as I shave everyday and sees me often feeling my neck after shaving.

I was in early high school and began with a Remington electric razor, which was a Christmas present from my sister. I shaved on Wednesdays and Sundays. When I arrived at college, my roommate was using a Norelco. I thought that shaved better so I got one of those, but it wouldn't last long. The next summer I went to work for the Army Corps of Engineers. I'd come home hot and sweaty from work, and the electric just dug in and wouldn't move over my face. I became a wet shaver with a Gillette DE. It had a long black handle and was adjustable. I was sold right away and kicked myself for spending 5 yrs with electric shavers. I've been a blade shaver ever since 1970. I can't remember when I changed from canned creams to mug and brush -- probably 20 years ago.

Im pretty sure I started full time shaving around 1985 or so, I remember using a bic disposable and barbasol (what my dad used), I rolled through numerous disposables over the next few years and couldn't really get a grasp on the whole shaving game. in the late 80s I switched to an electric and stayed with those till the late 90s when I went with a Braun foil shaver, I pretty much used foil shavers and Gillette multi blade razors up until June of this year when I jumped into traditional shaving and never looked back. I now shave with a DE blade and mostly vintage Gillette razors everyday and have not touched a can of compressed goop since June.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My dad's Gillette adjustable (can't recall which one) and his can o' goo in, say, 1964. Switched to a Techmatic in college (OUCH!), then bought a Hoffritz slant, which I used on-and-off until the handle broke in the '80s (didn't know you could replace them back then). Mostly shaved with Noxzema goo, though I did occasionally whip up some lather using a cheap bristle brush and some Williams in an old Old Spice mug that my dad never used.

I started shaving in 1961. Dad bought me a Gillette Slim, and I probably used Colgate shaving cream in a red can. Before long I switched to Old Spice shaving soap in an Old Spice mug. Then I went on to a Schick injector that I found in the bathroom drawer....

Hmmm.. let's see... it must have been at 15/16, 1976/1977... Most probably a disposable... Wilkinson... My father used a Shick Injector but I don't recall using it myself.

Oh. And I used Williams cream/unknown brush and Aqua Velva. And I was the king of the world!

That's a good question! When I was a kid (in the 50s and 60s) there was no internet, so any buying would have to be done locally...like at the drugstore or grocery store. You could order stuff from catalogs, I guess, but I don't know if blades were available from places like Sears or Wards. I have no memory of how I obtained blades. I hope others have a better memory than I do.

We lived small town mid-west and bought our blades, soaps and aftershave from the local drugstore and hardware store. I'm not positive, but I think you could get 100 Blue Blades for $2.00 or less and I believe a pack of 5 was about 12 cents. Don't ask me what Old Spice soap in a cup or a bottle of OS aftershave was .. dad did the money thing. :)
I remember my dad complaining that I used enough aftershave to take a bath in. :001_tongu

I started shaving in 1961. Dad bought me a Gillette Slim, and I probably used Colgate shaving cream in a red can. Before long I switched to Old Spice shaving soap in an Old Spice mug. Then I went on to a Schick injector that I found in the bathroom drawer....

What? No Noxema in a tube or in the can? ;)

My father didn't live with us and showed me next to nothing about life, so his shaving was not visible to me. As I recall, I started with a Norelco rotary in about 1968, in high school. In the late '70s, during Marriage No. 1, I tried the cartridge or disposable route. I'd run the electric over my face first, to plane it down, and then use the blade. My memory says I continued that during Marriage No. 2, into the mid-'80s. Came the day in the early '90s that I cut myself using a Braun electric. 'Struth; a little spur of the foil head was sticking up and scratched me. I went back to a Norelco the next day.

In 2012, after bugging out to Jackson, MS, for a hurricane, I bought a bunch of disposables at Target. Much better shave, said I to myself, said I (and the heads of the Norelco were going to be $$ to replace). So I looked online and started DE shaving with a Merkur 23C and Aveeno gel, later Palmolive (hey, James Bond used it in one novel) and then TOBS sandalwood cream. Two years ago, I think, I purchased a 1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable, and lent the Merkur to my girlfriend Miss Linda. Now it's the Gillette and a brush-whipped mix of Col. Conk's Santa Fe Cedar (which doesn't lather up much, for me) and the TOBS Sandalwood.

Top Bottom