What's new

Do you remember when you started shaving and what you used?

English Leather is okay, though. And the product's "All my men wear English Leather or they wear nothing at all" commercial was a hit.

We had a guy in our college dorm who never showered and would just splash English Leather on his body to try and hide the stench. Almost 60 years later, the thought of English Leather still makes me sick.

It was 1972 for me. And it wasn't a double edge razor, so it must have been the newfangled Trac II, which had just been released the year before. Some canned foam, I'm sure. Maybe Gillette Foamy. I didn't fool around with aftershaves or colognes until many years later.

My wife's father used Old Spice...he passed away early in her childhood, and she doesn't like for me to wear it because it makes her sad. Do they even sell it in the stores any more? I see the deodorant but I haven't seen the AS in a while.

Yes, somewhat different formula. I guess the made in India is close to the original. This is third hand info.

We had a guy in our college dorm who never showered and would just splash English Leather on his body to try and hide the stench. Almost 60 years later, the thought of English Leather still makes me sick.

Oh that's lovely! :001_07:

Mid 80's with a Wilkinson Bonded razor. I was gifted with the razor and 2 plastic cart dispensers.
Those carts came 3 in each dispenser.
No brush. I don't remember the cream, but probably Old Spice, as that is what my Dad used.
Those 6 carts lasted me at least 4 years, shaving about once a week.
Amazing razor. I had no issues with it. No longer available here.

When they were over, tried the newly launched Gillette PII (Trac II).
Instantly got little white boils on my neck. It did not work for me.
Shaving became painful enough that I had to give up shaving altogether till about 1992-93.
Kept a thick beard. Now I know that I probably had a bad case of PFB, but at the time I was clueless.

Started DE shaving late 93.

Last edited:
Yes indeed! 01 Jan 1970 (the day after my 18th birthday). My dad gave me my own Gillete razor, a pack of their Blue blades, tube of either Palmolive or Old Spice shave cream, a bottle of Old Spice A/S, and my own brush. these were his birthday gifts to me. He said they were my reward for registering to vote, and for the draft the day before.

I first shaved as a fuzz-faced teen (around 1982) with a blue Gillette GoodNews! disposable razor, after which I felt neither peachy nor good. Not that I drew blood or anything, it just felt like scraping a piece of aluminum siding torn off the house across my face. Other miseries followed, most notably a Norelco, before I resolved to master using a "proper" safety razor (which, even then, was considered a bit retro). I still have that 1984 Super Speed.

Among the canned goos, I got along with Barbasol. Only "old people" used brushes. ;-)

'77 or '78, Dad had me use his Trac II (free in the mail!), Barbasol red & white can, and Mennen Afta. My brother, father and I all switched to the Atra when it came out (or in the mail), and had to each find a hidey-hole so we wouldn't use each other's razor! In the early '80's, I switched to Edge gel, and that was the story until the Mach 3, then the Schick Hydro, and in November 2015 the clouds parted, angels sang, and I got a Merkur 34C HD, a Fine lather bowl, and some TOBS, along with a cheap Amazon badger brush. Never been the same since (literally. I fell down all the rabbit holes in quick succession!).

Some time around 1979 my mom got her little man a very pricey at the time Norelco triple head electric. The pain was excruciating. Within a few months I tried a Trac II with Foamy followed by Afta. Sometime around 1990 I discovered the Bic Metal. So much impressed was I with the shave that in one single frenzy I purchased a lifetime supply just in case they ever ceased production. I still have a couple hundred. If you must shave with a disposable, let it be the Bic Metal, though I haven't had to in years.

Christmas 2010 my daughter (who was working at Sephora at the time...so huge employee discount :D ) gave me an Art of Shaving sampler and curiosity spurred, I proceeded to straights.

Currently starting to dabble in DE and having a blast doing so.

Hi,

I do. 1976 with a pre-war Tech of Dad's (still have it), a Rubberset brush of Dad's (still have it), Schick Plus Platinum blades (recently found a few in an old dopp kit) and Yardley soap (long gone).

Stan

2014 when I googled how to shave better and hit the jackpot (this site). Picked up one of those Wilkinson sword plastic DE razors with the metal insert to give it weight, some erasmic stick and my mums old makeup brush (I was desperate, and in remote Ireland back home). Three substandard items but got me off and running!

Bought my first new razor, gillette SS, in June of '55 and used Gillette Foamy when I went in the navy. I still use '55 vintage SS three out of five days a week and wish I could find a Gillette Foamy scented soap or cream.

Mid 80's with Wilkinson Sword disposables, graduated to a Contour Plus in 1988, and the Sensor on release. Both inspired by the 'Best a man can get ' campaigns. I bought my first DE a Wilkinson Sword Sticky in 1991.

Late 80's, was still quite young, but the fuzz looked worse than the acne. I think they were Bic disposables (orange?) and dad taught me to hand lather with a soap bar. I suspect that soap bar technique went a long way to explaining why I put up with cartridges for so long. Wasn't until earlier this year that I finally tried a proper razor.

It would have been about 1990. A Bic Metal disposable and Barbasol canned foam because that was what my mom had on hand. My dad shaved with a Gillette Slim Twist, Williams Mug Soap, and what I think was a horse hair brush; and there was no way I was going to use his old-fashioned crap. How little I knew.

Top Bottom