What's new

Do you remember when you started shaving and what you used?

strop

Now half as wise
Started in the late 60's (?'67?) with a gold ball end Tech and Gillette Foamy, because that is what Dad used. He switched to carts when they came out, so I did as well, and that's all I remember in college in the mid 70's. Discovered shaving soap and brush around 2002 or '03 and went back to DE around 2008 or so. A 34C I got as AOS!

Everyone here started so long ago I feel weird saying this.

I started shaving in 2007 I was 15. My dad gave me his old Phillips electric that he got in the 80's by then my father was using a Mach 3 or whatever the new Gillette was at the time. No cream no aftershave hell I didn't even wet my face I would just turn it on and go in a circular motion. It was not a great experience so much so that I got new electric maybe a year later that was a Braun. Also not the greatest experience but I kept that set up until 2012 when I switched to the newish Schick Hydro 5 and canned Schick gel. It was actually ok never really had any issues with it I just didn't enjoy it. So i switched to DE last January and never looked back.

My father on the other hand now has a Gillette Fusion Ball that has like 1000 razor blades on it and he says i'm crazy :)

I still remember my dad giving me my first razor and a can of barbasol in 1993. It was a Gillette sensor. Which in my honest opinion is still a great razor, at least for me. I was still using one on my head up until a few weeks ago and I still use it once in a while to do touch up on my dome. I still have a lot of respect for the sensor. They stopped making them a few years back, why I have no idea. When I complained to Gillette about this they sent me a coupon for a free Mach three, that still sits on my shelf in the package. Three blades?? Gimme a break.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A Norelco. And I wondered why I had zits ...

(Dirty electric razors cause this condition. So does adolescence ...)

AA

When I started shaving, I used a Gillette Sensor. I believe it was a 2-blade cart. I remember it worked OK but I only shaved once a week, so I wouldnt expect a super smooth shave.
After that, I dabbled with some Norelco electrics, Mach 3s and later just started shaving with clippers once a week. I stayed with the clippers for probably 10 years before I started wet shaving.

I still remember my dad giving me my first razor and a can of barbasol in 1993. It was a Gillette sensor. Which in my honest opinion is still a great razor, at least for me. I was still using one on my head up until a few weeks ago and I still use it once in a while to do touch up on my dome. I still have a lot of respect for the sensor. They stopped making them a few years back, why I have no idea. When I complained to Gillette about this they sent me a coupon for a free Mach three, that still sits on my shelf in the package. Three blades?? Gimme a break.
The simple answer is $$$. They can charge more for the Mach 3 and Fusion carts.

I was 15 in 1966 and it was a Gillette TTO adjustable, Gillette Blue blades, and Old Spice AS. All the same items my dad was using at the time.

I still have the old Superspeed castoff from my dad in the mid 60s. Also one of his old superfluous Seaforth mugs and my first (used) brush (reknotted now)

IMG_1980.jpg

Everything still works!

Last edited:
The first one or two times I used my father's stuff. I don't remember the razor, but it wasn't adjustable. It might have been a Superspeed, but I'm not sure. Blades were Gillette blue blades. Soap was lathered in a mug. I'm pretty sure it was Williams. This would have been around 1965. It seemed like he cut himself a lot.

Then when I got my own setup, again around 1965, it was a Gillette Slim adjustable with Gillette blue blades and foam in a can. I don't remember what foam I used first, but I remember Barbasol and Noxzema. I never had a brush.

When Wilkinson stainless blades came out I used them and remember them being a big improvement.

Next came Wilkinson Bonded cartridges, then ..., but you were asking about what I used when I first started.

Like you I later had a Braun or Eltron electric that worked reasonably well. It was a corded single-foil model.

I still have the old Superspeed castoff from my dad in the mid 60s. Also one of his old superfluous Seaforth mugs and my first (used) brush (reknotted now)

Everything still works!

What great keepsakes! I don't really have anything from my childhood/young adulthood...except my dog tags. I was never sentimental back then, so I pitched everything. Now, I wish I had some mementos of my past.

The first time I ever shaved, I was really young. I used my dad's Bic disposable and removed one of my eyebrows.

The first time I shaved the part of my face that I was supposed to was with a Gillette 2 blade cartridge and some Gillette Foamy.

Last edited:
What great keepsakes! I don't really have anything from my childhood/young adulthood...except my dog tags. I was never sentimental back then, so I pitched everything. Now, I wish I had some mementos of my past.

"You can go home again." I am awaiting an eBay purchase, a gold Gillette tech in good condition, just like the one I started with in the 60s. Cheap nostalgia.

Brut! And of course English Leather...

Egad! I rank Brut right down there with unbathed hookers and Hai Karate cologne. Nauseatingly noxious stuff! :18:

English Leather is okay, though. And the product's "All my men wear English Leather or they wear nothing at all" commercial was a hit.

Mennan, then later Tabac. And much later Old Spice. I am still working on a bottle of OS which is 25 years old. Obviously, I use much less AS than I did as a teen!

Memory: My father used a little Old Spice, but mostly he was a talcum powder guy. He always smelled of talc and cheap cigars!

My wife's father used Old Spice...he passed away early in her childhood, and she doesn't like for me to wear it because it makes her sad. Do they even sell it in the stores any more? I see the deodorant but I haven't seen the AS in a while.

Even though my stepdad always used a SuperSpeed, he gave me an electric razor when I first started shaving in 1962 or 63. My first year in college I dumped the electric for a Schick Injector which I used until 1973 or so when I switched to swivel-head carts. After 35 years of carts, I went DE.

Top Bottom