What's new

Do you "puck lather"?

I use a badger that tends to hold lather well. Even when I bowl lather, the first 2 passes are stored in the knot, with additional 2 remaining in the bowl.

I was very happy with puck lathering until I read about using a lather bowl to really create the lather. I find it much better than puck lathering.

I'm not sure that I really believe they is a distinction between puck lathering and bowl lathering. My father "puck lathered" in a mug while I "bowl lather". The process is no different except there's a puck in the bottom of the vessel for one. You still add water to get the appropriate consistency, and at the end of the process I do not think you are adding more soap as when "loading". So what's really the difference?

Or is "puck lathering" defined by not rinsing your brush?

I'm not sure that I really believe they is a distinction between puck lathering and bowl lathering. My father "puck lathered" in a mug while I "bowl lather". The process is no different except there's a puck in the bottom of the vessel for one. You still add water to get the appropriate consistency, and at the end of the process I do not think you are adding more soap as when "loading". So what's really the difference?
Or is "puck lathering" defined by not rinsing your brush?

I don't understand your question at all. The process is the same no matter what the puck is in. I don't know why you bring up a mug or a bowl. The puck is what is key here.
Let me say this one more time. When you have a puck of soap weather it's in a mug or a bowl doesn't matter. You work your puck until you have the lather you like right there on the puck. Then you paint it on your face. I can't say it any clearer than that.

I think very few of us shave like barbers, current or past. All or nearly all barbers use a straight razor. Very few of us do today.

How about an actual survey with definitions before responding?

This is a simple survey and I have given the definition more than once. Do you puck lather? That means you make your lather right on the puck to completion and then take it to your face.
What other tools you use has nothing to do with this thread. I never said anything about shaving like a barber. Whatever that means.

I puck lather only with Williams Mug Shaving Soap. Most of my soap have a container but I store my Williams in the Old Spice shaving mug.

How do I lather? Let me count the ways:
1 Load face using stick, build lather using brush
2 Load face using stick, build lather using fingers
3 Load brush from puck, jar, etc, build lather in bowl or hand
4 Load brush from puck, jar, etc, build lather on face
5 Scoop or squeeze soap/croap/cream from jar, etc, into bowl, build lather with brush
6 Puck lather in mug (Williams, Arko, and Col Conk currently in the mug line up)

So, yes? I do puck lather. Several times, lately. (I just got my first pottery Old Spice mug, plus a glass one.) It is decided by mood and time available. I strictly puck lathered Williams with a cheap boar for the first 20 years or so, rinsed the brush out, threw it away, and started using a pewter bowl when my wife gave me one and a good badger brush. Now I’m a dilettante shaver...

How do I lather? Let me count the ways:
1 Load face using stick, build lather using brush
2 Load face using stick, build lather using fingers
3 Load brush from puck, jar, etc, build lather in bowl or hand
4 Load brush from puck, jar, etc, build lather on face
5 Scoop or squeeze soap/croap/cream from jar, etc, into bowl, build lather with brush
6 Puck lather in mug (Williams, Arko, and Col Conk currently in the mug line up)

So, yes? I do puck lather. Several times, lately. (I just got my first pottery Old Spice mug, plus a glass one.) It is decided by mood and time available. I strictly puck lathered Williams with a cheap boar for the first 20 years or so, rinsed the brush out, threw it away, and started using a pewter bowl when my wife gave me one and a good badger brush. Now I’m a dilettante shaver...

This thread does not ask "how do you lather." It ask "do you puck lather?" Every method you describe here is not puck lathering. Puck lathering is when you make your lather right on the soap puck.

I mean set it up as a survey where the votes are tallied automatically.

The survey would be a simple yes or no answer. Do you Puck lather?
The problem is even though I have explained several times what puck lathering is, it seems many guys just don't get it. Which is kind of funny since years ago just about everyone puck lathered. I did until I learnt other ways from B&B.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Honestly it really isn’t messy. In my experience, most of the soap stays in the brush and what’s there is more than enough for 3 passes. That’s why i’ve never understood face lathering. Just seems like it takes more time for the same result. I use each soap till it’s gone and all of them have lasted between 4-5 months. I’m not sure if that’s average but it seems pretty good to me?

4-5 months is good for most soaps (as long as it's not MdC, which lasts me over a year). Whatever works is good. It's hard for me to imagine a brush with the correct amount of water for lather not continuing to pick up soap all through the build if you're still on the puck - but you do it and it works. What else is there?

I would still miss my warm 3rd pass lather.

Enjoy.

I've been puck lathering on the puck for nearly 60 years. I never did see a need for a scuttle or an extra bowl to lather in. I started out with a mug but now I like to put my soap in a bowl. Didn't find a need for preps and a cabinet full of supplies. My Dad was right, keep it simple. Hot water face soak, lather up, shave, rinse, dry, After Shave splash, clean gear, clean up mess, Simple.
Was always a minimalist, great for small medicine cabinets, 1 soap in mug, brush(handle down in mug), razor (handle in mug), AS. Takes up small amount of shelf space. But then I joined Badger and Blade and the collection started. But I still puck lather, a habit I doubt will break.

I've been puck lathering on the puck for nearly 60 years. I never did see a need for a scuttle or an extra bowl to lather in. I started out with a mug but now I like to put my soap in a bowl. Didn't find a need for preps and a cabinet full of supplies. My Dad was right, keep it simple. Hot water face soak, lather up, shave, rinse, dry, After Shave splash, clean gear, clean up mess, Simple.
Was always a minimalist, great for small medicine cabinets, 1 soap in mug, brush(handle down in mug), razor (handle in mug), AS. Takes up small amount of shelf space. But then I joined Badger and Blade and the collection started. But I still puck lather, a habit I doubt will break.

Finally I got a reply from someone who really puck lathers. I like to keep it simple myself but as you said, once I discovered B&B I ended up with way too many soaps. I recently gave away over 22 soaps.
I still have about 5 pucks, 3 sticks and 1 cream. That's it. No more. I use an after shave splash also. Feels good on the face after a shave. Keep it simple.

Finally I got a reply from someone who really puck lathers. I like to keep it simple myself but as you said, once I discovered B&B I ended up with way too many soaps. I recently gave away over 22 soaps.
I still have about 5 pucks, 3 sticks and 1 cream. That's it. No more. I use an after shave splash also. Feels good on the face after a shave. Keep it simple.

Yup B&B spoiled me too. I only have 52 razors, 15 brushes and 4 after shaves but whittled the soaps down to 3. Thankfully I didn't join an Antique Car forum.:001_smile

You have no say in this thread, you didn't start it.
That's not how forums work.

If you just wanted a tally of "yes/no" as to who puck lathers then you should have made a poll question at the start of the thread. Clearly you're after something else, and your attitude doesn't leave much to the imagination about what that might be. Looks like @naughtilus has struck a nerve by giving you a taste of your own medicine.

If anyone is being "off beat" here, it's you.

To answer your question, no. I don't puck lather.

That's not how forums work.

If you just wanted a tally of "yes/no" as to who puck lathers then you should have made a poll question at the start of the thread. Clearly you're after something else, and your attitude doesn't leave much to the imagination about what that might be. Looks like @naughtilus has struck a nerve by giving you a taste of your own medicine.

You don't know how forums work. He does not get to set the way the thread goes, he did not start it. He can have his input, that's it. I'm not talking about this any further. Off topic.

Top Bottom