What's new

Do you "puck lather"?

This thread does not ask "how do you lather." It ask "do you puck lather?" Every method you describe here is not puck lathering. Puck lathering is when you make your lather right on the soap puck.

So using a mug to hold the puck (#6) disqualifies as puck lathering? :rolleyes5 Never thought to do it without the mug. Shave and learn...

Williams Mug is currently the only soap that I puck lather with. I’ve always found it quite difficult to get a sufficient amount of soap on and in the brush with Williams. Puck lathering definitely makes it easier. Lathering directly on the puck and building the lather in the bowl with it and adding water here and there has made a soap I hate into a now admirable performer. I think anyone who has very hard soaps that they find difficult to lather should give puck lathering a shot.

Williams Mug is currently the only soap that I puck lather with. I’ve always found it quite difficult to get a sufficient amount of soap on and in the brush with Williams. Puck lathering definitely makes it easier. Lathering directly on the puck and building the lather in the bowl with it and adding water here and there has made a soap I hate into a now admirable performer. I think anyone who has very hard soaps that they find difficult to lather should give puck lathering a shot.

Yes with Puck lathering you can keep plenty of water on the soap and still keep loading at the same time. With difficult soaps like Williams Mug soap, puck lathering can be the answer.

No one face lathered or bowl lathered, except barbers. You wet the brush under the tap, swirled on the puck in your mug a few times, painted it on your face, then dunk the brush in the mug, shaved WTG one pass. Done. You were out the door to work in the car factory.
You got it! Wet the brush, build a proto lather and go to the face. if you were pressed for time it was to thin the next day to heavy. Two, three passes? Maybe on your birthday! Ask that shaver what was his favorite soap and he would reply “what ever I get for Christmas”.

You got it! Wet the brush, build a proto lather and go to the face. if you were pressed for time it was to thin the next day to heavy. Two, three passes? Maybe on your birthday! Ask that shaver what was his favorite soap and he would reply “what ever I get for Christmas”.

Even back in the day everyone had their own method. I believe the most common was "puck lathering". You would wet your brush good and swirled it on the soap puck until you got what looked like a good lather. Then you painted it on your face. Good to go.
A lot of guys here started that way myself included. That's all most guys knew how to do until along came B&B.

Never thought of puck lathering before reading this thread. Tried to puck lather my last two shaves but couldn't get it right. I think I need to start with more water in the brush.

Never thought of puck lathering before reading this thread. Tried to puck lather my last two shaves but couldn't get it right. I think I need to start with more water in the brush.

At first it's trial and error. Some soaps will require more water than others. I did it for years until I came here to B&B and they show how to use a lather bowl with the puck also.
I tried going back to puck lathering a couple of times but I'm too use to using a lather bowl now.

Yes, I puck lather, usually with Williams, sometimes with MWF or AOS Tallow.
Since March 1st, it's been with vintage Williams.

This thread does not ask "how do you lather." It ask "do you puck lather?" Every method you describe here is not puck lathering. Puck lathering is when you make your lather right on the soap puck.

How is his method #6 (quoted below) not puck lathering?

“6 Puck lather in mug (Williams, Arko, and Col Conk currently in the mug line up)”

How is his method #6 (quoted below) not puck lathering?

“6 Puck lather in mug (Williams, Arko, and Col Conk currently in the mug line up)”

I thought he was face lathering. If he is making his lather right on the puck, then it is puck lathering. I misunderstood the first time I read it. Sorry folks.

No. All my soaps are in the containers they came in. To puck lather on them would have lather flying all over the place, with half it going down the drain.

No. All my soaps are in the containers they came in. To puck lather on them would have lather flying all over the place, with half it going down the drain.

You could take them out and put them into a mug. I have about 4 mugs with soaps in them.

I pick lathered for years when I taught myself how to wet shave. I used a plastic, dollar store cup and non-tallow Williams soap. Still pick lather with tabac because I like mountains of lather!

You could take them out and put them into a mug. I have about 4 mugs with soaps in them.

You could do that, but then you have mugs of soap all over the bathroom occupying space that could be used for other things, specifically by one's wife. We don't all get to get away with that. :)

I can certainly understand how people who use very hard soaps make sure they have a nice big lather in the mug before trying to apply to their faces because it takes so much effort to load the brush. I think it would have worked better with the stiff mixed-hair brushes that Average Joe always used back in his brush-and-mug days, or a 100% boar brush now. But I only have badgers, and they take much more time and elbow grease than I want to spend to whip a very hard soap. The one time I worked through a puck of Williams I had to bloom it while I showered to get it to do anything at all. I can't make time for that anymore. Give me a softer soap, I'll get it loaded in five seconds and build lather on my face. That's the point of having a badger brush to me, because it feels good to scrub my face with it instead of just painting lather on with a prickly boar brush.

So, short one-word answer: No.

Last edited:
You could do that, but then you have mugs of soap all over the bathroom occupying space that could be used for other things, specifically by one's wife. We don't all get to get away with that. :)
I can certainly understand how people who use very hard soaps make sure they have a nice big lather in the mug before trying to apply to their faces because it takes so much effort to load the brush. I think it would have worked better with the stiff mixed-hair brushes that Average Joe always used back in his brush-and-mug days, or a 100% boar brush now.

It doesn't have to take long to load the brush. I mostly use synthetics which are very soft and I have no problem loading a hard soap for about 15 seconds and then taking it to a lather bowl to whip up a nice lather. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Top Bottom