What's new

Do you "puck lather"?

Do you make your lather right on the puck without using a lather bowl? I use to before I discovered here at B&B about using a lather bowl.

ATT_bowl.JPG

On the rare occasion I don't face lather using a shave stick, I puck lather and go right to my face. I found I enjoy building the lather on my face far more than in a bowl and my salsa bowl moved into retirement.

I keep trying to get lather from a bowl that’s as slick as the lather I get puck-or-stick to face. But I’ve rarely succeeded. Bowl lather is prettier, but face lather works better for me.

I keep trying to get lather from a bowl that’s as slick as the lather I get puck-or-stick to face. But I’ve rarely succeeded. Bowl lather is prettier, but face lather works better for me.

Yes indeed, exactly this for me! Building on the face let’s me understand exactly how hydrated the lather is. For me, is more difficult to discern that while bowl lathering.

I do both the bowl and the face lather, either stick or puck. I'm so new to DE shaving I haven't made up my mind which I like best, although the face lather is growing on me!

Maybe someone can clarify this for me: what is difference between face and puck lathering? Is it just the amount of time spent loading the puck? I always considered myself a puck latherer because i try to make the lather “perfect” before applying it to my face. But often i’ll have to add a little more water or soap as i’m applying it to get the right consistency. So isn’t that “face lathering?” I’ve just never really understood the difference. If anyone has ever watched kevy shaves or ken surfs when they just go straight from the puck, that’s how i do it. Just seems to be the easiest way.

Maybe someone can clarify this for me: what is difference between face and puck lathering? Is it just the amount of time spent loading the puck? I always considered myself a puck latherer because i try to make the lather “perfect” before applying it to my face. But often i’ll have to add a little more water or soap as i’m applying it to get the right consistency. So isn’t that “face lathering?” I’ve just never really understood the difference. If anyone has ever watched kevy shaves or ken surfs when they just go straight from the puck, that’s how i do it. Just seems to be the easiest way.

The fact that you try to make the lather "perfect" before applying to your face, is puck lathering.

You're a face latherer.

There should be two stages no matter how one lathers. 1) getting soap from the puck onto the brush... Aka "loading". 2) working that soap into the lather by brush agitation and addition of water ... Aka "building the lather"

Step 2 should not be done on the puck, because that adds to much soap to the mix. Step 2 is done on the face for face folk, or in a bowl, or in your palm, etc. There are benefits to each type.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I load directly from the puck/ tub, but I develop the lather on my face. The lather can fail to hug the bottom of the whisker where it meets the skin, which can result in irritation, burn, and pulling if you don't work the lather down into the skin enough. Since I have to develop a lather anyway, and I have to work it in anyway, I figured it's just probably best to do both at once.

Plus, I love the mild facial massage I get with each shave, lathering up all over my beard!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm basically a face latherer. I'm cheap. And as has been mentioned, I like the immediate feedback about the quality of the lathers slickiness.... sorry about all the made up words in this post.

I'm guessing he means lathering on the puck, like you would with old fashioned mug soap.

You're a face latherer.

There should be two stages no matter how one lathers. 1) getting soap from the puck onto the brush... Aka "loading". 2) working that soap into the lather by brush agitation and addition of water ... Aka "building the lather"

Step 2 should not be done on the puck, because that adds to much soap to the mix. Step 2 is done on the face for face folk, or in a bowl, or in your palm, etc. There are benefits to each type.
Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The fact that you finish it on your face you would be a face lathered. the other guy said he finishes the lather completely on the puck. that is Puck lathering.

The fact that you finish it on your face you would be a face lathered. the other guy said he finishes the lather completely on the puck. that is Puck lathering.

That's how it was done back in the day. Build lather on the puck in your mug and just paint it on your face. Dunk the brush back in the mug when done. No cleaning and rinsing. No one spent 10 mins bowl lathering or massaging their faces to 'exfoliate' and 'lift the stubble'.

FarmerTan

That's how it was done back in the day. Build lather on the puck in your mug and just paint it on your face. Dunk the brush back in the mug when done. No cleaning and rinsing. No one spent 10 mins bowl lathering or massaging their faces to 'exfoliate' and 'lift the stubble'.
Yep. As evidenced by all the old brushes you find with a permanent "C" shape to the bristles.

FarmerTan

And most of the knots gone. You used a cheap Burma-shave until you start scraping your face with the handle.
That is so true. I have my wife's grandpa's that will attest to that. So cool. I have a feeling my dad (born in 26) would find us all a little ridiculous!

Top Bottom