What's new

do you guys use preshave

Like others, I shave after showering. I used to use a pre-shave oil as well. Every now and again, I would forget. One day I decided to try shaving without the oil: I couldn’t tell the difference. Haven’t used it since...don’t miss it at all.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I don’t use a pre shave. I limit what’s going on my face to quality soap and water. Skin has never felt better by keeping it minimal. Works for me.

Reactions: jmd
I use a PAA Cube but I'm not sure it does anything a good lather isn't already doing. Once it's used up I probably won't use a pre shave anymore.
I used an oil when I first started and I really didn't like that.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
and do you think it actually does anything? It could be pre shave oil, pre shave creams, or pre shave soap. I noticed myself that I have been getting little to no cuts or weepers when I use an aggressive de and when I use a pre shave soaps like PAA's cube 2.0 and stirling mentholated pre shave soap. I have shaved without using pre shave soaps and I would usually gets a few cuts here and there, so in my experience, using preshave does help at least with me. It's supposed to be a lather booster as well. I can't say for certain if it boosts your shave soap lather as my shave soaps usually lather pretty good on their own. My shaves are smoother using either pre shave cream (proraso green) and pre shave soaps like PAA's cube and stirling mentholated pre shave. I was wondering if anyone else has had better than usual shaves using pre shave than without. Also, happy easter guys!!!

I can tell you this much, the only pre-shave that I have, is the Proraso GREEN pre-shave, comes in the small jar located in the middle of the picture seen here.

proxy.php

I have used it a total of 2-times so far, and will be using it a 3rd time tomorrow. I use it when I am tackling 3-day stubble growth or more, in an attempt to provide my face further lubrication slickness, for the coming shave ahead. To be honest, even after only 2-uses so far, I am not really impressed.

Yes, its Eucalyptus, but the camphor scent in it is too strong for my liking. And yes, the cooling effect is nice from the menthol, that part is excellent! Does my face feel any slicker for the shave? The answer is no. After the first use, I wasn't sure, after the 2nd use, more of the same, it doesn't feel slicker!

And truth is, I wash my face prior to the shave with hot water and exfoliating facial soap, so I am already getting my hairs softened. I think maybe the pre-shave is supposed to do that too, but if the hairs are already soft, not like the pre-shave is going to do much better. I think the point of a pre-shave, is to make your face more slick.

Well, it feels more slick when I am applying it to my face! But when after I lather up and I take the razor to my face, it doesn't feel slicker at all, feels the same as it did if I wasn't using a pre-shave! So, maybe there are better pre-shaves out there then Proraso, as its the only one I tried so far, so not impressed.

I went through a buy and trying phase for pre-shaves and ended up keeping
a jars of the Proraso Green, Red and White around. They just work and you can
change it up with the soaps or seasons.

That being said. I ended up finding out I'm sensetive to sandlewood oil. So no red
and it was my favorite.

Then a few months ago I cut out all "pre" and "post", other than Thayer's witch Hazel
and have not missed it a bit. And over all my skin is better. Maybe for cutting out a
few applications of things to it?

So I do recommend Proraso pre-shaves. They do the job well, but I don't see me
going back to pre-shaves any time soon.

I tried Proraso pre-shave cream. It smelled lovely but made absolutely no difference to the quality of the shave, as far as I could tell. I also tried pre-shave oils. What a dreadful idea that was. Oily fingers and clogged up razors. Snake oil would be more use. Now I just splash some hot water on my face before shaving. For me that works as well as anything else I've tried.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I tried Proraso and it was nice enough but did not improve my shave. I now do very little prep - no shower, no face wash, no brush soaking, and no pre shave products, as none of it makes any difference. I load my damp brush from the puck and start lathering straight onto my dry face, adding very cold water as I build the lather. It is very simple and I like it that way; I think we over complicate things sometimes. That said, if you like pre shave products then my advice is to use them.

Last edited:
After reading some of the post I realized that I had a bottle of ToBS Sandalwood oil preshave and (for me of course) it was one of the worst if not the worst preshave I ever used. I truly know that ymmv, but it clogged my razor big time and I didn't liked it at all.

I do not. My routine is to wash with regular soap (I make my own), rub that leather in and rinse with the hottest water I can a tolerate few times. I then leather up with cream, adding water to the brush a few times.

The whole adding water thing I learned here. I’m glad I started taking the advice of the forum. The repeated additions of water make the lather retain heat better. That warm “mask” of lather makes for a slicker face, more hydrated beard, softer whiskers and a better shave.

My preshave is shower and washing my face with simple shower soap. Never even considered preshave products, I have soap for providing slickness. I think maybe you shoukd work ob your lather. Are you loading enoug of product and more inportantly do you use enough water? I had a lot of problems in the past since I didn't use enough water ergo razor drag and iritation

During the first year of the pandemic, I shaved weekly instead of daily. With 5 or 6 days' growth, it helped if I left my face lathered for minute or two. I would then lightly rinse it off, re-lather, then shave as usual.

Now that I'm back to shaving daily, my pre-shave is just a warm water rinse.

Yes I use an alcoholic one when I like an ultimate shave because I noticed smoother and closer shave with my usual razor. These are my few cents! If you look in the wiki you’ll find as well the scientific justifications!

I appreciated its use thank to the wiki- guides because I understood the scope!

Enjoy your shaving life!

I got interested in pre-shave products last year and did a little investigation into what was the purpose of a pre-shave. From what I read it has nothing to do with softening whiskers, washing your face can do that, it's to hydrate your skin so it's smooth and flexible. I read enough about pre-shave products that I decided to pass on pre-shave oils and I'm currently using GD unscented pre-shave. Does this work??? I'm still on the fence as to whether it's doing anything or not. For now it's part of my daily routine and will be until I finish this tub. This will give me a couple of months of daily use and then I'll go without it for a while using the same soaps to see if I notice any changes.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I got interested in pre-shave products last year and did a little investigation into what was the purpose of a pre-shave. From what I read it has nothing to do with softening whiskers, washing your face can do that, it's to hydrate your skin so it's smooth and flexible. I read enough about pre-shave products that I decided to pass on pre-shave oils and I'm currently using GD unscented pre-shave. Does this work??? I'm still on the fence as to whether it's doing anything or not. For now it's part of my daily routine and will be until I finish this tub. This will give me a couple of months of daily use and then I'll go without it for a while using the same soaps to see if I notice any changes.

I am also on the fence regarding pre-shaves. But out of all the days that I should have used a preshave, it certainly was today! Why? Cause I just attacked a 4-day stubble whiskers growth! But my silly brain forgot to apply the pre-shave first, so I only got a hot water face washing and exfoliation. But the shave went alright, just took longer as all, because of the immense stubble growth. But ya, I am still on the fence about pre-shaves. Cause, the first couple times I used my Proraso pre-shave, I didn't notice much of a difference to the shave.

What I did notice was the overpowering camphor scent, holy cow man! I like Eucalyptus, but tone down the camphor. I got a bottle of Eucalyptus essential oil, so I know what Eucalyptus should smell like, cause I got pure 100% medical grade oil, and that Proraso GREEN Pre-shave, is not straight Eucalyptus at all, too much camphor, makes the scent just not quite right IMO.

Top Bottom