What's new

do you guys use preshave

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I use Cremo as a pre-shave. The slickness lingers some after the first pass.

I was going to start this as a new topic and this thread popped up while typing a topic title.

I've wondered about these standalone preshave products and have tried a few that were samples. I didn't find they did anything for me, especially oils which just make a mess. However, I rarely shave without immediately showering first. When I can't do that, I simply apply an early slurry of the shave soap/cream I plan to whip up to my already moistened face. Once I've got enough product and water, I will either face lather or, my usual preference, bowl lather and do a good job of working it in. Why bowl over face? Mostly, I'm less messy with the latter and the end result for me is the same. I like making lather that I can work to perfection. It's like making whipped cream from scratch. :) I just don't seem to have a need for one more product/step in my shaving routine.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I did several experiments over a few months. I tried my own DIY shave oil.. and that was a disaster. That post is early in this thread.

Since then, I've use the Baume.be pre-shave, the Grooming Department pre-shave and the PAA Cube (in the shower) and the Tube 2.0 before lathering. I know our experiences vary here. Lots of seasoned wet shavers don't use them. I'm a newbie, that might be why they work for me. I've tried shaves with and without in subsequent shaves several times, always showering immediately before I shave. I use very good soaps/creams... well regarded here on B&B, so not a newbie's opinion. I consistently get less irritation, better shaves when I use a good pre-shave. A pre-shave might just be masking my own lack of technique. That is hard for me to quantify.

I also bowl lather... so I don't use the brush on my face for extended periods of time. I find that irritates both my psoriatic arthritis that affects my skin and my rosacea. Again, a variable. I don't know enough to know why a pre-shave improves my shaves, but a good one does.

Stirling Pre shave might be cheaper than any shave soap I have ever bought and works very well, it will probably last years. I don't like to go without pre shave although my shaves are fine without it. I just like as much slickness as I can get. When evaluating a brand of shaving soap I have never used before I'll go without so I can tell how slick it is by itself.

Top Bottom