What's new

Do we really need to stretch blade life?

I run a blade until i feel its no longer working well enough. For me, typically this is 3 to 4 shaves. I can push further than this and have gone 5-7 shaves but its really not worth it for me and the shave becomes uncomfortable.

I will admit, on a day to day basis, I just wet my face in warm water, then work hot water into it, lather, shave and go. If I had time to go the extra mile then perhaps blade life could be extended.

I used to toss blades after 3 shaves, and then it was tossed out every Saturday.
As I improved my technique, I’m starting to test the longevity of each blade. Currently using Gillette Super Thin, Shave number 16.

I wouldn’t say that I am stretching the life of the blade, I think of it as just using the blade to it’s full potential for my face.

Who stretches them? and binning them after a shave or two even if they're still performing flawlessly is an example, small and insignificant as it may be, is kind of a conspicuous consumption thing. Why?
I use mine until they show signs of degradation. The number of uses I get is high but that's because I use vintage blades, not because of any "stretching".

Yep, I go until they either start dragging, tugging, or just don't seem to shave as smooth or as close, then out they go and a new goes in. I can usually go at least 5-7 shaves with most, but have had an Astra SP go 18 or so, and usually get around 14 or so good shaves from a KAI. (The KAIs seem to get better with each shave for a period of time, before starting to drop off).

Now Feathers, they're lucky to make it to the 5 shaves, while super sharp out of the package, they fade quickly on the 3rd or 4th shave.

It's true no one *talks* about using soap conservatively, particularly as the discussion around soaps is so often with regard to people having trouble getting enough good quality lather. The response is always "use more product", as it should be. However, once one gets their shaves dialed in, I would bet that most start to dial in the amount of soap as well. What would be the purpose of ending the shave with a huge ball of lather still on your brush? I think that most, over time, start to refine the amount of soap they use to get roughly in line with what's required. Or, maybe it's just me that's done this :). In any case, to me blades and soap usage tend toward the same outcome of matching what's needed, with what's used. I just can't operate any other way.

I don't know if I'm using soap conservatively, but I've gotten 239 shaves so far on a puck of Williams. The next puck should be well over 300.

I'm new to stretching blade use. I have 49 shaves on an Astra SP. The best shaves are after a fifth.

I don't know if I'm using soap conservatively, but I've gotten 239 shaves so far on a puck of Williams. The next puck should be well over 300.

I'm new to stretching blade use. I have 49 shaves on an Astra SP. The best shaves are after a fifth.

What kind of brush do you use?

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I am with Bosse on this. Just binning them because they are cheap seems wasteful to me. I too believe that with enough improvement in technique, you should be able to get a lot more life from a blade. Of course, I haven't been able to stretch them to the milestone levels of Bosse, James or turtle, but max I've got from my Indian Gillette greens is 12 shaves, and I am keeping a target of being able to stretch them to a month.

Of course they are disposable, but they can be disposed after one shave or a hundred.
This is where I'm at. I used to follow with everyone else in the thread and bin them at 6 shaves regardless. Then I read the Excalibur thread. For some reason it had never occurred to me that I should just use a blade until it was done. I don't go crazy with this idea, but I get at least 10 shaves out of a blade and often many more. There just isn't any reason to through out a blade that is still performing. That is the way I see it now...although I changed my feelings on this over the years. I think that if people used their blades until the first sign that they are done they would be surprised by how many shaves they got out of them.

The Excalibur Club started not long after this thread started. Contrary to popular belief, the Excalibur Club is not about extending blade life. It's primarily about improving the quality of shaves through better shaving techniques. Blade life extension is a byproduct of success.

As people gained proficiency, the most frequent blade lives went from about 20 shaves in 2014 up to many people getting over 100 shaves today. Everyone will have their own number. Those with exceptionally tough beards may never get out of the teens.

With dedicated practice, I think most people can reach their personal maximum in a year or two.

Added: I forgot to mention the most important part. After about 10 shaves, the blade often becomes buttery smooth for many shaves. Sometimes another 80 or 100. During this time, it shaves nearly as well as a new blade. It's almost impossible to draw blood with. The ending is painless. It just stops cutting hair. Pain is caused by poor technique, not an old blade.

Last edited:
No. We don't actually "Need" anything more than a single razor, blade, brush, soap and aftershave. But our desires for variety provide us with variation which brings enjoyment and provides people with jobs and a livelihood. What more can you ask for?

No. We don't actually "Need" anything more than a single razor, blade, brush, soap and aftershave. But our desires for variety provide us with variation which brings enjoyment and provides people with jobs and a livelihood. What more can you ask for?

Seriously, I don't care to spend money just to give other people jobs. I retired from the Air Force when I was 40 and from regular work when I was 44. Limit your wants and you don't need to work much.

Seriously, I don't care to spend money just to give other people jobs. I retired from the Air Force when I was 40 and from regular work when I was 44. Limit your wants and you don't need to work much.

Good for you. Stick with what works for you.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Back in my wilder days, everything was best after a fifth!

Today I burned down some whiskers that had been growing since Thanksgiving morning with the 44th shave on a GSB. I think it will keep going for at least another shave..

Back in my wilder days, everything was best after a fifth!

Today I burned down some whiskers that had been growing since Thanksgiving morning with the 44th shave on a GSB. I think it will keep going for at least another shave..

Like yourself, many of the respected posters here used to hang out in the Excalibur Club. For those who want to learn something new, it's a great way to learn a better way to shave.

The Excalibur Club started not long after this thread started. Contrary to popular belief, the Excalibur Club is not about extending blade life. It's primarily about improving the quality of shaves through better shaving techniques. Blade life extension is a byproduct of success.

As people gained proficiency, the most frequent blade lives went from about 20 shaves in 2014 up to many people getting over 100 shaves today. Everyone will have their own number. Those with exceptionally tough beards may never get out of the teens.

With dedicated practice, I think most people can reach their personal maximum in a year or two.

Added: I forgot to mention the most important part. After about 10 shaves, the blade often becomes buttery smooth for many shaves. Sometimes another 80 or 100. During this time, it shaves nearly as well as a new blade. It's almost impossible to draw blood with. The ending is painless. It just stops cutting hair. Pain is caused by poor technique, not an old blade.

Thanks, Gary for explaining the Excalibur club. I had the misconception that it was simply about using a blade to 100 despite the misery. I’ll check it out for the technique aspect.

I've found that lately, I get more shaves with a blade without taking extraordinary steps to extend their lives, from just about any blade, over how long they lasted a couple years ago. Currently have 28 shaves on the Persona loaded in my Timeless, which is still going strong, and I was 5-6 shaves and out on any blade. My OneBlade Hybrid blade has 6 shaves on it currently (ok, it's a GEM blade), but still feels very sharp and efficient, and I've lost count on the shaves with the Schick Twin Injector blade in my adjustable.

I do swap the blade if they start tugging, become uncomfortable, or suddenly begin to to experience nicks or cuts, and will do so mid-shave if necessary.

Top Bottom