What's new

Do we really need to stretch blade life?

I'm looking forward to the day (not far off), when I can be like Henry Fonda On Golden Pond - "My mind is going, so it'll all be new to me." Then I can just leave the same blade in all the time!

It seems many go until the blade no longer works for them and an other group seems to just change on a set day, once a week or so. Both work.

For me though, it’s always 2 and done. If I forget sometimes it’s 3 and done. I don’t really think much more about it. I have many blades and never worry about changing mid shave.

I shave every other day, so I do two weeks which brings me back full circle and on Sunday the blade is done (7 shaves).

Works well with a BIC Chrome Platinum. I would hope the same from most blades, as 7 is very reasonable. Haven't tried quite that long yet with another, though.

I then would use just 26 blades a year, so a 100 pack would almost last 4 years. Since BICs are around 20$ for a hundred, it's a bit over 5$ a year. Not crazy pushing anything, and still dirt cheap IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

No stretching here...skin too sensitive
At the first sign of pulling or tucking, off it goes
How many shaves...who knows?

I'm not "pushing" blades, just shaving with them until they don't work any more. A habit I picked up when I was a poor graduate student I guess, waste nothing.

I find that blades become much more comfortable after a dozen shaves or so and stay that way until they stop giving me a close shave. When that happens depends on the blade, lesser ones may only work for a month, good ones 70-80 shaves, and top tier ones 100 plus.

One of my co-workers used to shave for a year on a tuck of five blades, and he has a dense, coarse beard.

By all means, do as you please, but good technique should be giving you more than one or two shaves on a blade I would think. I found that getting the most comfortable shave without irritation resulted in longer blade life.

I switched my blade after my Sunday shave. It was #7. I found that works well for me, with my face and hair, on these specific razorblades (BIC). However, oddly enough I started out with a rough shave on Sunday. So, I disassembled the razor and cleaned the blade off. It worked smooth after that.

So, I am hypothesizing the gunk that built up maybe impacted the efficiency? Of course, I could just be nuts .. always an option. Still, worth a shot if you know that blade always goes farther but isn't performing right.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I switched my blade after my Sunday shave. It was #7. I found that works well for me, with my face and hair, on these specific razorblades (BIC). However, oddly enough I started out with a rough shave on Sunday. So, I disassembled the razor and cleaned the blade off. It worked smooth after that.

So, I am hypothesizing the gunk that built up maybe impacted the efficiency? Of course, I could just be nuts .. always an option. Still, worth a shot if you know that blade always goes farther but isn't performing right.

I agree. I've found cleaning a blade is often all that's needed to get some more life out of it. Again, this isn't stretching the life out for the sake of it, but just not disposing of it early, because a bit of soap scum is causing it to cut higher than it should.

Hello everyone! I always rationally approach the use of resources. Therefore, the price of the blade does not play absolutely no role. I realize that the blades I throw out pollute the environment, even their processing gives off harmful impurities to the atmosphere. If the blade gives a strong irritation and tears my skin, then I will throw it away after the first shave. But if the blade performs its function, has softness and comfort, I will shave it a hundred, two hundred or three hundred times, until it dies. Sincerely.

In my experience, when I have a bad shave (strong irritation etc.), it is more often operator error (blade angle, too much pressure, etc.) than any fault of the razor or blade. If I blame the blade and throw it out every time I have a problem, how am I going to improve my technique? I often find that the second shave from a blade is better than the first. How can you be sure that it's the blade that is the problem?

Yes, you are right, the wrong technique of shaving is possible. But I can move the blade to another razor in order to evaluate the quality of the blade. But usually I do not. I started shaving 35 years ago, then switched to electric shavers, and six months ago I returned to classical shaving. Therefore, having huge experience behind me, I feel my own skin when the blade makes me depilate. I am not a masochist, and therefore I prefer to replace the blade. Sincerely.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yesterday was shave number 17 with a Gillette Silver Blue. Seemed to bite me a bit, I am cheap, so I'll try it one more time, as I believe as @Saltchuck said, it was probably my technique, and not the blade, as number 16 was as good as number 2. And I find that number 2 is ALWAYS better than the first shave with a GSB.

In my experience, when I have a bad shave (strong irritation etc.), it is more often operator error (blade angle, too much pressure, etc.) than any fault of the razor or blade. If I blame the blade and throw it out every time I have a problem, how am I going to improve my technique? I often find that the second shave from a blade is better than the first. How can you be sure that it's the blade that is the problem?
Change the blade and try, change back and try. I've only been shaving a short while. The one time I suspected the blade. The above proved it. After enough practice at something, it isn't hard to tell when your doing something "off".

I sometimes use what I think is a dull blade in one razor and use it in one of my slants and get a few more shaves out of them before pitching. Seams the angle of the slant allows the blade a few more comfortable shaves.

I found that i get tugging by the 3rd shave so i toss a blade after shave 2. Not worth thinking twice about it.

I was changing out my blades after three times. I got bored and wanted to try the next type of blade. I have them waiting to be revisited.

Top Bottom