What's new

Do SE shavers go back to DE?

I think trying out SE razors really broke me out of the Gillette mindset. SE razors opened up a whole new respect for other brands and other types of razors. Now I have Gillette, Valet, Star, Kampfe Brothers, Christy and Ever-Ready's in my collection and rotation.

My DEs usage went from 100% to less than 40%.

I have been using using SE razors exclusively for quite some time now; particulary the GEM 1912 Damaskeene and the Schick Type E injector. Irritation-free and almost effortless. As a plus, the shaves lasted for at least 24 hours with very little stubble.

However, today I used my British NEW with a Shark SC blade (that was used at least twice before) and RazoRock cream and got a DFS on three day old stubble. It was also irritation free. Perhaps I just happened to hit upon an ideal combination for that particular razor. Time will tell if the shave lasts as long as my SE shaves.

I will say that my SE blades last for at least five shaves. I think I will load a new Shark SC into my British NEW, start from scratch with the same cream and see how it goes.

Of course not. I only have one SE, a Micromatic.

Well, two, including the Junior.

And a 1912 on the way.

But really...

P

Pjotr

.........got a DFS on three day old stubble..........

Don't know about you but I can get a DFS on three day stubble with pretty much any razor. It's the regular daily or 2 daily shave that detemines a razor's quality in my opinion. Just had one with a Featherweight. It's indeed the Gillette Tech of the SE world. Beautiful, mild shave. I might have to resort to shaving daily with this one around. Not as noisy! I should start a new thread but there are lots of new SE threads around.

I too get equally good shaves from an SE as I do from a DE. My rotation includes one of both (a Gem 1912, replated in Nickel and a Feather AS-D1) as well as a straight. Am thinking (but still hesitating) of adding a Schick SE, have never used them before...

So far, I've gotten about equally good shaves from DE and SE razors, though the SE is more intuitive for me. The big difference for me is that the SE can easily get right under my nose to get those pesky hairs, whereas doing that with the DE takes a lot of maneuvering. Sometimes, I'll do a DE shave and touch those places up with the SE. But as of right now, I basically switch off between DE and SE.

Well, here's a monkeywrench in the fruitloops......I rotate between my DE's and my SE's regularly. I'm a safety razor shaver. I don't stand in one camp or the other really, I've got a foot in both. I like them both. They yield excellent results, but the process for each of them is unique & part of the fun is the process.:thumbup1:

P

Pjotr

........I like them both. They yield excellent results, but the process for each of them is unique & part of the fun is the process.......

How do you match that statement with this one:

OK, so if you've read my other rant about the GEM Micromatic, you read about me whining about how you basically have to tear your face apart to get a DFS.

SO: I tried my Gillette Superspeed with a Shark Blade & I got a DFS. Here's the kicker. I got a BBS with it the first time I used it, (had to buffer like crazy & bled here & there, but MAN....lol.....BBS. (almost didn't seem worth it))

SO. CVS didn't work, a brand new shark got me DFS, so I'm basically asking, is the Gillette Superspeed simply a DFS razor? Or is there an ideal blade I haven't used in her yet? Sharks do SUPURBLY in my Merkur 34C & my EJ89L. Maybe this isn't a love connection beteen razor and blade? I'm curious to know if I'm the only one that basically thinks that the micromatic stinks and the superspeed is a DFS razor.....

Top Bottom