What's new

Do SE shavers go back to DE?

P

Pjotr

With what appears to be a surge in people discovering SE shaving I was just wondering if people go back to DE shaving as their primary means. Or do they adopt SE in their rotation and let it co-exist? Just wondering.

Personally I can't imagine seriuously shaving with DE anymore. I like DE razors and the history and everything else but in comparison, in terms of shaving, I think SE is just a superior method and technology.

The urge to shave with a DE is fading rapidly. I shaved with a single ring Gillette today. DFS. Tomorrow I'm back to SE test driving a Ever-Ready lather catcher ca 1904-1911. Then I need to try out a few 1912s before I PIF them.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am always rotating. I like the shave the SE gives, but prefer the allure of the vintage Gillette. So I like to keep changing up.:thumbup:

Slowly winnowing my DE's.... have not shaved with anything but a SE, Injector, or a Straight in over 6 months. Once you have experienced Nirvana why go back to the mundane.... Although I may give the singlering a run one of these days

I rotate all my razors but do select in part based on the time I have available and how I am feeling. I love SE but find I need to concentrate carefully on technique to avoid razor burn or nicks while I can use my Feather SS half asleep without incident.

Single Edge reminds me too much of "Pancake" cartridges. So big and flat.

I prefer injectors when not using double edge razors.

It just seems weird that considering how much of the blade you actually 'shave' with, why are SE razor blades so big?

I appreciate the performance and endurance that comes with SE shaving, but I can't get my lip and chin the way I want to..

It's a crap shoot finding good blades too. I'm never 100% sure buying SE blades whether I'm getting shaving grade or box cutters. Buying them in the drugstore in the shaving section is pricey. Buying them at the hardware store is not the proper method of procurement, but they sure look the same to me.

Paint scraper blades and shaving blades are hard to tell apart. :huh:

I'm content with DE.
SE is fun once in a while, but the razors always feel off balance to me. Huge top and stubby handle. To me it's awkward.
:001_tt2:

Next week I am going to use an injector Monday and see how long I can use the same blade. I've been having a lot of issues with DE blades going rusty prematurely lately.

I consider an injector razor far superior to a SE. Technically though there is just one edge, but it doesn't rest at the end of a big sheet of steel that serves to purpose.

Count me with the rotation folks. I get good shves with both DE and SE, though SE seems, if anything, easier to me, certainly on my cheeks. But I just like the variety of razors and blades, so I will continue to use both.

I prefer SE shaving by quite a margin. That said, I use both, partly because it gives me more comment about here on B&B, so it's good to keep one foot in both camps. However, if I were forced to choose one or the other, I would easily choose SE shaving and never look back. It's just so much better.

DD

Sold all my DE razors within a month of using both an injector and SE. There isn't any going back...I don't have any DE blades left!

i am going to try answer the question of " now that I have mastered SE shaving, do I go back to DE shaving" without getting to "wordy".

NO

sorry for my rambling.

I haven't used a DE in probably 6 months.

Straights and SEs for me.

I could be completely happy with just my 1912, although I would miss my straights.

i am going to try answer the question of " now that I have mastered SE shaving, do I go back to DE shaving" without getting to "wordy".

NO

sorry for my rambling.

While I am still in the process of learning how to use a miniature guillotine fused with a garden rake, I found your post humorous.

P

Pjotr

............It just seems weird that considering how much of the blade you actually 'shave' with, why are SE razor blades so big?........

I do agree with that. The razor head is a bit cumbersome. The Ever Ready 1924 in particular. Small price to pay in my opinion.

Top Bottom