What's new

Do I Now Need a Chubby 1

So I ended up with a CH2 Super. Different than the CH2 Best. The Super is a tad softer, has a bit less backbone, and does not bloom quite as much. I am delighted with it. I will probably get the CH1 Best sometime soon and maybe a Duke 3 down the road. Thanks again for all the valuable feedback.
IMG_1942.jpeg

With badger bristles I much preferred Chubby1, the Ch2 and Ch3 were too much and dysfunctional.

With synthetic bristles, bigger lofts shine. My Ch2 works very well, the Ch3 would probably be really nice too.

Holding the brush closer to the loft is often overlooked, can make hard to hold brushes much more ergonomic.

So I ended up with a CH2 Super. Different than the CH2 Best. The Super is a tad softer, has a bit less backbone, and does not bloom quite as much. I am delighted with it. I will probably get the CH1 Best sometime soon and maybe a Duke 3 down the road. Thanks again for all the valuable feedback. View attachment 1655294
Would you say there was more or less "scrub" with it? Is it floppier then the best? Was it worth the difference in price from the CH2 in best?

Would you say there was more or less "scrub" with it? Is it floppier then the best? Was it worth the difference in price from the CH2 in best?
Less scrub. I wouldn’t use the term floppy in the same sentence as a Chubby just a bit less backbone. I bought it second hand at the same price as a new Best. I like having both of them They are very different brushes with there own characteristics.

With badger bristles I much preferred Chubby1, the Ch2 and Ch3 were too much and dysfunctional.

With synthetic bristles, bigger lofts shine. My Ch2 works very well, the Ch3 would probably be really nice too.

Holding the brush closer to the loft is often overlooked, can make hard to hold brushes much more ergonomic.
I have no idea what you are talking about. You may have found it dysfunctional. I find it completely functional as I am sure many others do as well.

Here they are side by side. View attachment 1655386
Those look great!! When I am out of restraint in 2024 a Chubby 2 super or best is going to be added to my rotation. I have a few brushes that I will list on the BST to help keep my brush rotation in control. I have 26 brushes right now with 1 on the way.... this is why I am in restraint 🤣

Those look great!! When I am out of restraint in 2024 a Chubby 2 super or best is going to be added to my rotation. I have a few brushes that I will list on the BST to help keep my brush rotation in control. I have 26 brushes right now with 1 on the way.... this is why I am in restraint 🤣
These are my only two brushes as of now. I have bought and sold more than I can count. Looking forward to getting a Chubby 1 soon.

I have both as well. My Super definitely has less "scrub" than my Best. The 2 in Super is by no means floppy. In my estimation, the low loft and densely packed knot prevents it from being floppy. What you get is a wall of super soft badger.

I am delighted with my Chubby 2’s in Best and Super. I may have a chance to buy a used CH1 in Super for about the same price as a Duke 3 Best. My first thought is to go with the Duke when I am ready.

I ended up getting a Chubby 2 in Best and Super. Pretty sure I will go for the Duke 3 Best next. Not sure if I will go for a Chubby 1 after that.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I ended up getting a Chubby 2 in Best and Super. Pretty sure I will go for the Duke 3 Best next. Not sure if I will go for a Chubby 1 after that.
Now you have used them for a while, do you prefer the Super over the Best? If so then you may not enjoy Manchurian. I much prefer the Best over Super, with Manchurian being my favourite; but it is a close thing and I could happily use nothing but Simpson Best. It is excellent value but a bit variable and you need to find a knot that suits you; for my taste the better Best knots are the ones which are closer to Pure grade than to Super.

Top Bottom