What's new

Do I Now Need a Chubby 1

I am delighted with my Chubby 2 Best. I am now thinking about a CH1 in either Best or Super. After using the 2 would the 1 seem too small?
Thanks

I received a Chubby 1 in best recently and it's a wonderful brush. Do you usually prefer larger brushes? The CH1 isn't "tiny", but it's not that big.

You never know unless you try one though. It's plenty of brush for me.

I think the 1 is a small knot and would give you a far different experience than the 2. Go bigger, chubby 3
I haven’t tried one, but feel it would be closer or improve upon the 2

I received a Chubby 1 in best recently and it's a wonderful brush. Do you usually prefer larger brushes? The CH1 isn't "tiny", but it's not that big.

You never know unless you try one though. It's plenty of brush for me.
The largest brush I ever had before the CH2 was a 26mm M&F Blonde Badger. It was so stiff it hurt my arm so I sold it.

Classic 2 fits right between a Chubby 1 and 2! 😉
This.

A Classic 2 is cheaper than a Chubby 1, very close in size and similar (if not identical) knot density. Not sure if you can get it in Super though.

I love my Classic 2 Best.

The Chubby 2 is much better than either though IMO. I would personally buy another Chubby 2 in a different grade hair if budget permits.

This.

A Classic 2 is cheaper than a Chubby 1, very close in size and similar (if not identical) knot density. Not sure if you can get it in Super though.

I love my Classic 2 Best.

The Chubby 2 is much better than either though IMO. I would personally buy another Chubby 2 in a different grade hair if budget permits.
I was thinking about a CH2 Super. That could be a good one two punch.

Classic 2 fits right between a Chubby 1 and 2! 😉

@srgjazz you are making me want to get a Chubby 2 in best to compare against my Classic 2!
Never used a Classic 2 but I did open the box of one and held it briefly, and from my recollection the Classic 2 was smaller than my Chubby- or am I not remembering this correctly? I remember thinking it was smaller than I thought it would be, and wasn't that much bigger than my Classic 1. Or is the simularity more in the knot size than the handle? Very cool brush nonetheless. Very underrated line.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It depends on how you feel about your Chubby 2. I have a Chubby 1 and 2, and I find the Chubby 2 great for occasional use but a bit too big to be a daily driver, I certainly would not go larger. For that reason I greatly enjoy the Chubby 1 which is a very much smaller brush and I use it more often than the Chubby 2. Also, for the Chubby brushes that I have owned, the Super bloomed much larger than the Best, which meant the Super grade Chubby was a larger brush than the same Chubby in Best. Here is a size comparison, be aware that my Chubby 2 is quite low lofted.

20230509_113515~2.jpg

It depends on how you feel about your Chubby 2. I have a Chubby 1 and 2, and I find the Chubby 2 great for occasional use but a bit too big to be a daily driver, I certainly would not go larger. For that reason I greatly enjoy the Chubby 1 which is a very much smaller brush and I use it more often than the Chubby 2. Also, for the Chubby brushes that I have owned, the Super bloomed much larger than the Best, which meant the Super grade Chubby was a larger brush than the same Chubby in Best. Here is a size comparison, be aware that my Chubby 2 is quite low lofted.

View attachment 1651621
I love the CH2. I use it every other day to give it time to completely dry. On alternate days I use a Mistura (great brush) and a couple of Shavemacs. However as they say nothing else is a Chubby.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I love the CH2. I use it every other day to give it time to completely dry. On alternate days I use a Mistura (great brush) and a couple of Shavemacs. However as they say nothing else is a Chubby.
You were very lucky with your Chubby 2; Simpson Best hair can be very variable and I think you received a very nice example. After Manchurian, Best is my favourite Simpson grade by some margin, followed by Pure, and then Super which is too soft for my taste. If you can get a nice one, which you did, then in my opinion Simpson Best is some of the best value brush hair in shaving, the difference between it and Manchurian is minimal and, for me, not worth the difference in price.

Never used a Classic 2 but I did open the box of one and held it briefly, and from my recollection the Classic 2 was smaller than my Chubby- or am I not remembering this correctly? I remember thinking it was smaller than I thought it would be, and wasn't that much bigger than my Classic 1. Or is the simularity more in the knot size than the handle? Very cool brush nonetheless. Very underrated line.
I don't have a Chubby 1 but yes I think the Classic 2 handle has a smaller diameter than the CH1. The knot diameter is a bit bigger than a Chubby 1 though.

Top Bottom