What's new

Do I Need A Chubby 2 Badger?

I love mine. BUT… mine is a pricy Silvertip, the Chubby 2 knots are crazy dense, they suck lather like crazy and the handle may be too short for bowl latherers or people with huge mitts.

I would at least try to hold one before buying. Even the least expensive Best Badger version is still $200USD+, so it ain‘t a cheap brush by any stretch.

The Chubby 2 is certainly a face lathering brush, and for that it’s a dream. Handle sizes are always tricky. The Chubby 2 fits great in my hand, but I tend to like a shorter thick handle over a longer, leaner one.

Price wise you can get a Chubby 2 Best off Amazon from the seller Alrossa for $180. I actually have a Chubby 2 from them, so I can vouch for them being a legit seller.

The Chubby 2 is certainly a face lathering brush, and for that it’s a dream. Handle sizes are always tricky. The Chubby 2 fits great in my hand, but I tend to like a shorter thick handle over a longer, leaner one.

Price wise you can get a Chubby 2 Best off Amazon from the seller Alrossa for $180. I actually have a Chubby 2 from them, so I can vouch for them being a legit seller.
I got mine direct from Simpson for that much.

I would definitely recommend getting a Chubby 2. I love Simpson’s best grade knots. You can usually save some money by ordering directly from Simpson’s website
I would at least try to hold one before buying. Even the least expensive Best Badger version is still $200USD+, so it ain‘t a cheap brush by any stretch.

I got mine direct from Simpson for that much.
When I ordered mine from Simpson I must have done so when there was a favorable exchange rate. Only paid $160 for it (including shipping). Expensive? Yes but I think it’s worth the price

I am going to get a few more shaves in with my Shavemac 2Band Silvertip before I decide to sell or trade it. Yesterday the brush had less scritch and made a good lather although not as good as the SOC Mistura which is rapidly becoming my favorite. That decision will influence when I get a CH2.
Again thanks for the incredibly valuable input.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
If I should have only one brush it would certainly be a Simpson Chubby 2. Does the OP need one? Well, my answer seems pretty obvious...

P.S. I love both badger and synthetic knots. Among badgers the Best grade of hair would be my first pick.

The Chubby 2 is my least favourite brush. It’s too dense and too short lofted. The handle is impractical and uncomfortable. It resists splay and lacks the flow through to generate a decent lather. Despite the large diameter, it does not hold much lather in the knot. What it does hold, it doesn’t give up easily. It also takes ages to dry. Apart from that it’s a fine brush.

I have two and sometimes enjoy the wall of badger feeling but mostly I will reach for something else. The Duke 3 and 57 series are better performing, more balanced, brushes. The Chubby 2 tends to extremes. I think you would be better served with a different brush.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the response. The Super I am looking at is lightly used and is half the price of a new one. My concern is that the seller is in Europe and did not fully answer my questions. I am going to heed your advice and wait to get a new Best from a reputable vendor. That way I am protected if there are any issues.
Again I must say how grateful I am to all of you for the thoughtful and generous responses.
I've had CH2s in Best and Super. Both have been fine, but I prefer Super. I would try to wait for one to come up on BST, but if you get a bad vibe from the seller, move on and wait some more.

I had a Duke 2 once upon a time before I went Synthetic. I am sure I would enjoy a Duke 3 as well. I am not looking to building up a large stable of brushes and for now am done with Synthetics. I have a SOC Mistura that I am delighted with. A Shavemac 3 Band Silvertip that is like a cloud and a Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip that will probably go up on BST by the end of the week. The CH2 draws my interest since it is completely different than any other brush. I might consider a Shavemac D01 3 Band in a 26 or 28mm that could be Chubbyesque.
It is such a pleasure to read the generous responses from my fellow forum members.
Thanks

I had a Duke 2 once upon a time before I went Synthetic. I am sure I would enjoy a Duke 3 as well. I am not looking to building up a large stable of brushes and for now am done with Synthetics. I have a SOC Mistura that I am delighted with. A Shavemac 3 Band Silvertip that is like a cloud and a Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip that will probably go up on BST by the end of the week. The CH2 draws my interest since it is completely different than any other brush. I might consider a Shavemac D01 3 Band in a 26 or 28mm that could be Chubbyesque.
It is such a pleasure to read the generous responses from my fellow forum members.
Thanks
I have a D01 Silvertip (3 band) and I would say that the knot is, indeed, similar to the CH2 in Super. The most obvious difference is it is a fan knot and splays much more than the Chubby. The Chubby stays tight and feels a little firmer, but they are similar. The nice thing about Shavemac is you can get that knot in any handle they make, or just a knot for a custom handle. The Chubby knot is going to be in the Chubby handle.

This thread gave me some inspiration. First, I used my CH2 Super today. Then I realized I had used my M&F Style 1 Super yesterday. I then noticed that I had a total of six three-band brushes, so I could do a three-band week. Pictured left to right: the M&F from Monday, the Chubby from this morning, a Wiborg 30mm Silvertip, a Rooney Super underneath that, a Shavemac D01 Silvertip, and a Wolf Whiskers handle with a TGN Premium Silvertip knot.

3 Bandr.jpg

I love my 2 Chubby 2s, super and best. They are keepers, even chatGpt agrees

A poem for the chubby:
Upon a morn of gilded light, I sing Of Chubby Two, a tool for noble men, A shaving brush, as fine as any king's, To tame the whisk'ring beast upon their chin.

O Simpson, craftsman skilled in brush and bristle, Thy Chubby Two, a testament to art, A wand of Badger hair to cast a spell, To make of daily shaving, beauty's part.

This orb'ed handle, smooth and stout as well, Doth sit in palm as if by nature's hand, The bristles, thick and soft as heaven's cloud, Bring forth a lather rich and thickly fanned.

But lo! The tool, it humbles not the man, And makes of morning's chore, a joyous play, As whiskers part and soap doth smoothly glide, The Chubby Two, a partner, doth hold sway.

O brush, thou bring'st the past into the now, As barbers past their blades and brushes plied, A touch of grace and elegance, thou lend, To hands that wield thee with a craftsman's pride.

To Chubby Two, this poem I devote, A sonnet to thy gentle, bristling grace, For ne'er was there a shaving brush so fair, As Simpson's Chubby Two, which doth embrace.

So sing I now of thee, O wondrous tool, And let the bards and poets join the fray, For generations hence shall know thy name, The Simpson Chubby Two, a brush to stay.

I had my last shave with the Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip. I just prefer the 3 Band. So keep an eye on the BST later this week. I would love to make a trade for a CH2 but will price it for a quick sale.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Yes, you do.

I have had a Ch2 in every offering and have kept my favorites, the 2 Band Silvertip and Manchurian. I love the Best and Super as well, but I prefer those in their smaller Ch1 size. For some reason, the Ch1 and Ch2 in Super are two very different brushes on my face, not just different sizes.

Top Bottom