What's new

Do I Need A Chubby 2 Badger?

I have sold off all my Synthetics and now have three terrific brushes. Two Rudy Vey Shavemacs in 2 Band and 3 Band Silvertip and a Semogue SOC Mistura. I would like to add one more Badger brush and have had my eye on a Chubby 2 in Best which should be much different than what I have. Am I missing something else that might be better or is the CH2 a good choice? Any input is appreciated.

linty1

My wallet cries.
The ch2 is certainly an oft mentioned/loved brush, just be aware that the handle is... well chubby. short, big, I hold mine in sort of an eagle claw grip. But I do love the knot. I would say be patient and watch the bst.

The Chubby 2 in Best is one of my favorite brushes, so I’d say it’s absolutely worth getting. It’s a big brush, but I love the wall of badger feel. It’s scrubby and not as soft as your Shavemacs, but I find it feels great on my face. Excellent brush for anytime, but particularly wonderful for when you’ve got a day or two of growth on your face. Makes mounds of lather. It’s a true luxury shave.

Hm, tough call. Shavemac 2 band is a great brush as well. As mentioned, the Shavemac is softer. Not knowing the specs on your Shavemac, I couldn’t say how the scrubbiness and backbone would compare between the brushes. However, I own a Shavemac 2 band that’s 28mm x 54mm, so comparable in size to the Chubby with plenty of backbone. Even with comparable specs the Chubby feels scrubbier because Best hair has more texture. The Chubby will also be a bit more of a lather hog, but not too much more with a comparably sized Shavemac. The main thing is using plenty of water and soap, and then you’ll get a huge lather.

For me, if I had to choose between the two I’d choose the Chubby 2 because there are several 2 band knots out there that I think feel very close to Shavemac 2 band, but Simpsons Best is unique.

That one did not work for me. No splay at all.
The less expensive Sovereign bristle is softer and splays more easily. My Duke3 Platinum bristle seems to soften up after a month.

If you stick to painting motions like Simpsons recommends, these synthetic brushes are outstanding and superior to badger in every way.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of the chubby style handle. I have XL hands and prefer a longer handle.

Before paying big bucks for a Chubby 2, you might want to purchase a synthetic fiber brush with a similar size handle and see if you like it. I purchased the Trafalgar T2 (24mm knot) and found the knot size and shape was not to my liking. I now use a Trafalger T3 (26 mm knot) which is a great brush. Because of the design of the knot, you do not get as much splay as you might with other brushes. The Trafalgar T3 is similar in size to the Chubby 2.

While purchasing a couple of Trafalgars won't break the bank, it might save you from purchasing the wrong Chubby for your liking.

Simpson does make a variety of handle shapes and sizes, so make sure you get the right one for you.

Thanks for all the excellent advice.
Is getting a Chubby2 in Super a good idea. I am looking at one for a good price?

Thanks for all the excellent advice.
Is getting a Chubby2 in Super a good idea. I am looking at one for a good price?
You can't go wrong with a Chubby 2 in super, though a Chubby 2 might be a more economical baseline for the performance you would be looking for in a chubby.

IMO- there isn't a huge amount of difference between Best and Super to justify spending the higher amount on a brush that states "super" on the handle. The hairs are quite similar but there is better value with Best grade. Some online retailers have sales throughout the year where you can get 20% off a brush- west coast shaving in particular. That would be the time to strike. Or wait until simpson has their black Friday sales. They are nice brushes but over priced for what they are when they aren't on sale.
As Ray Clem states above you can wet your whistle in the meantime on the Trafalger brush to see if you like the handle shape without spending a fortune. The Trafalger fibers are quite stiff so that same handle will feel different with real hair.

@srgjazz we seem to be on the same brush path!

Here are a few pictures of my Shavemac D01 3 band, Chubby 2 2 band and Rudy Vey Shavemac 2 band from left to right.
IMG_20230423_091821.jpg

Top view: edited to add I reversed my phone for the pictures, so from left to right RV Shavemac, Chubby 2, D01 Shavemac
IMG_20230423_091746.jpg

The Shavemac D01 is a 24/50. The knot is actually 26.5 mm as it exits the handle. The Chubby 2 is 27/50 and 28.5 at handle exit. The RV Shavemac is 26/50 and 26.5 at handle exit.

For density I'd rank them the way they are pictured on the top photo, left to right with the D01 being the densest.

For backbone I'd rank the Chubby 2 highest with the D01 a very close second and RV Shavemac third.

For splay, the RV 2 band splays the most followed by the D01 and Chubby 2 last.

I hesitate to rank on softness and scrub because we are really deep into YMMV territory here, but for me the Chubby 2 has the softest tips, but the knot is more of a bulb shape so the softness has a smallish radius. It also seems like the scrub comes from the backbone of the knot.

The D01 is not quite as soft as the Chubby and it took 10-15 shaves to get that way. It seems like the scrub comes from the density of the knot.

The RV Shavemac 2 band is not quite as soft as the D01 or Chubby, I can sometimes feel individual hairs and I don't get the same kind of scrub unless I splay the brush.

I would be interested in trying a Chubby 2 Super, but that can wait until I am out of restraint, lol 😂.

Last edited:
IMO- there isn't a huge amount of difference between Best and Super to justify spending the higher amount on a brush that states "super" on the handle. The hairs are quite similar but there is better value with Best grade. Some online retailers have sales throughout the year where you can get 20% off a brush- west coast shaving in particular. That would be the time to strike. Or wait until simpson has their black Friday sales. They are nice brushes but over priced for what they are when they aren't on sale.
As Ray Clem states above you can wet your whistle in the meantime on the Trafalger brush to see if you like the handle shape without spending a fortune. The Trafalger fibers are quite stiff so that same handle will feel different with real hair.
I really appreciate the response. The Super I am looking at is lightly used and is half the price of a new one. My concern is that the seller is in Europe and did not fully answer my questions. I am going to heed your advice and wait to get a new Best from a reputable vendor. That way I am protected if there are any issues.
Again I must say how grateful I am to all of you for the thoughtful and generous responses.

Top Bottom