What's new

Do I Need A Chubby 2 Badger?

First use of the CH2 and I am delighted. It is a brush like nothing I have ever used before. Soft as my Shavemac 3-Band. Nice gentle scrub and the face feel is totally unique. This baby needs a lot of soap but once loaded had plenty of lather for 3 passes. Did not shed a single hair. I plan on using it every other day to give it time to fully dry.
View attachment 1649064
Looks great and glad you’re enjoying it. The best grade knots are my favorite of the ones I’ve tried (best badger, sovereign, and platinum). They’re soft without being too soft and from my experience with my Duke 3 in best they get softer with use without losing anything

Looks great and glad you’re enjoying it. The best grade knots are my favorite of the ones I’ve tried (best badger, sovereign, and platinum). They’re soft without being too soft and from my experience with my Duke 3 in best they get softer with use without losing anything
I tried the Sovereign T3 and Platinum CH2 and sent them on their way. Synthetics are just not for me.

I tried the Sovereign T3 and Platinum CH2 and sent them on their way. Synthetics are just not for me.
I haven’t tried the T3 but I have a T2 sovereign. I really enjoy the T2. I also have a Chubby 2 in platinum and I’m not a huge fan of it. I think it’s just a little too dense for me. I might have to see if I can get a T2 with the platinum synthetic

First use of the CH2 and I am delighted. It is a brush like nothing I have ever used before. Soft as my Shavemac 3-Band. Nice gentle scrub and the face feel is totally unique. This baby needs a lot of soap but once loaded had plenty of lather for 3 passes. Did not shed a single hair. I plan on using it every other day to give it time to fully dry.
View attachment 1649064
That’s a great looking knot. I’d imagine that it would only get better as it’s broken in.

You had mentioned earlier that you previously had a Duke 2 prior to the synthetics you have since moved along. I’m interested in your thoughts between the D2 and your new CH2. Is the D2 something that you would potentially acquire again?

Reactions: d_e
I'd a chubby3 badger which was at its best after a month's use. These large badger brushes give the most wonderful face lathers imaginable. Load well and enjoy. After loading, I add more water by dipping brush in soap lid of water. Anyone not trying these large brushes are missing out.

That’s a great looking knot. I’d imagine that it would only get better as it’s broken in.

You had mentioned earlier that you previously had a Duke 2 prior to the synthetics you have since moved along. I’m interested in your thoughts between the D2 and your new CH2. Is the D2 something that you would potentially acquire again?
I was into small brushes when I had the D2. Currently I don’t use anything smaller than a 24mm. The D2 is like an Amuse Bouche and the CH2 is the Main Course.

Although I'm no Chubby expert( I own a Chubby 3 in Best, Chubby 2 in Best, Chubby 2 in Super, Chubby 2 Synth, and a Trafalgar 3), I would be remiss if I didn't encourage you to get the Chubby 2 in Best.

My bloom on the Best puts the Super to shame- I have owned the Best for years longer and have just stopped comparing the blooms between each recognizing that the Super is not going to bloom in the same way.

Once broken in, I'm not sure there is another brush like it. For a face latherer, it is the pinnacle.

marty

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My bloom on the Best puts the Super to shame- I have owned the Best for years longer and have just stopped comparing the blooms between each recognizing that the Super is not going to bloom in the same way.
A real case of YMMV. My only large brush is a Chubby 2 manchurian, a hair grade which does not bloom much in my experience. I specifically sourced a low lofted example to ensure minimal bloom. After my brushes are used and dried I shape them by hand so that they as closely resemble their original narrow form as possible, and that is how they remain. I do not wish any brush to look, perform, or feel like a much larger one, if it did then it would be moved on. I owned a Chubby 2 in Super and sold it as it ballooned in size to almost comical proportions. I find 'before and after' brush pictures with knots much larger after use to be unattractive in the extreme. Just goes to show there are brushes for all tastes which is a great thing 👍

20230507_113719.jpg

So from left to right, you can observe "Simpson's Row"- I have other shelves with brushes on them too.

Chubby 3, Trafalgar 3, Chubby 2 Best (yes, I've worn off the Simpson's sticker and didn't replace it), Chubby 2 Super, Chubby 2 SE Synth( same hair as Trafalgar), Chubby 2 Synth(Platinum hair), and Duke 3.

You can see the difference in the bloom between the Best and the Super. By the time I had used the Best for 30 shaves, it truly bloomed into what you see now. The Super has the same amount of shaves and is still in its original shape so far.

Why so many Chubbies? I am primarily a face latherer and I really enjoy the feel of the handle.

marty

I have sold off all my Synthetics and now have three terrific brushes. Two Rudy Vey Shavemacs in 2 Band and 3 Band Silvertip and a Semogue SOC Mistura. I would like to add one more Badger brush and have had my eye on a Chubby 2 in Best which should be much different than what I have. Am I missing something else that might be better or is the CH2 a good choice? Any input is appreciated.
Did you find your Chubby brush? There's one for sale on ebay at the moment, and it looks new at the right price.

Top Bottom