What's new

DIY Beard Oil - Share your recipe

Hi Guys,

I am an old dude attempting his first beard - at a ripe old age of 43. So far it seems that while I can easily grow nice long hair on my head, facial hair seems oddly reluctant to play the game.
So I have set my self for the long haul and am going to see how I get on. SWMBO doesn't like the attempt at a beard and is not even that keen on the long hair so I face a few trials there LOL.

I am posting this thread after reading omegajinx's thread and thought a place for our own attempts and making the oil might be a good idea.

I did a bit of reading on the web before I jumped in and had a crack myself. Due to limited funds I haven't bought loads of carrier oils and essential oils.

So my first one has been pretty simple. I chose grapeseed as the carrier as it was nicely priced and I got a good amount so I would be able to try several different mixes. I was going to try jojoba but couldn't afford it this time round. I chose not to mix carrier oils - again to save cost. This way I only had to buy one.

For essential oils I got teatree and lavender.

I am using an old minture whiskey bottle for the oil - very fitting I thoght.

Here is my recipe.

15ml grapeseed oil
4 drops tea tree
2 drops lavender

Shake it up and use it.

Thoughts.
Defintely has helped with itchyness in the beard in the early days.
My beard isn't long enough to comment on the way it makes it look.
Scent is quite nice but tea tree is pretty strong smelling and I don't think I used enough lavender to really even notice it. Also the scent doesn't hang around long. (Which might be good or bad depending on your wishes)

Feels nice on the skin and not to greasy.
While not a bad first effort I wouldn't make this exact one again.

I would add more lavender and also look for something else, maybe orange or eucalyptus.

Anyway I also discovered the low note, mid note, high note thing. But discovered it too late for the first attempt.
I will look into that for the second attempt.

Please share your favourites.

5 mL argan oil
5 mL jojoba oil
3 mL coconut oil
1 mL Vitamin E oil
2 drops tea tree oil
10 drops lavender

Originally I used 5 drops of lavender, it was too lightly scented for my tastes. Doubling it was too much. I'd go back down to closer to five drops next time. Other than that, I love this oil and would not tweak the carrier ratios or tea tree content. It definitely performs better than the 3 oils I've purchased.

Top Bottom