What's new

Disinfecting Straight Razors

I was wondering what is the best way to disinfect a straight razor? Can I use barbicide to disinfect the blade. Should I submerge the entire razor as I'm unsure if barbicide can damage some of the material which scales are made from. I also use 70% isopropyl alcohol when disinfecting safety razors as a second step. Is it safe to use on straight razors as well?

Many thanks!

I hang the razor in the barbicide, scales dangle out. I don't know what, if anything, the disinfectant will do to natural scales, and I don't want the liquid in the pivot.

I cheat dunk the whole Razor in barbicide, no longer than 10 mins and to dry the pivot pin. I use a compressed air can that you use to clean keyboards out and paper towel, to store the razor i use 2 products one called frog lube and the other Ballistol.

I hang the razor in the barbicide, scales dangle out. I don't know what, if anything, the disinfectant will do to natural scales, and I don't want the liquid in the pivot.
I do the same. Barbicide/Spectricide/Marvycide kills any cootie known to modern man...at least any you will encounter.
Soak the blade, dampen a small piece of rag or paper towel with the solution, floss the scales. Follow up with a dry cloth in the same fashion. Razor is now as clean as a hound dog’s tooth.

I have used Scrubbing Bubbles to clean and disinfect Safety razors and straights. I know from experience that the scrubbing bubbles WILL fade/discolor old cellulose scales, particularly when they have been display razors exposed to UV light. I still like to use scrubbing bubbles when possible because it is a great cleaner, removing lost of gunk from that old find.

On a daily basis I stick with a rinse in 91% isopropyl, wipe and strop. If you want true disinfecting you have to let the alcohol air dry on the surface you want to disinfect. I don’t usually let it dry that long, I end up wiping dry and stopping on linen. I haven’t had barbicide around for a long time, last I used it was for soaking clipper blades.

I have used Scrubbing Bubbles to clean and disinfect Safety razors and straights. I know from experience that the scrubbing bubbles WILL fade/discolor old cellulose scales, particularly when they have been display razors exposed to UV light. I still like to use scrubbing bubbles when possible because it is a great cleaner, removing lost of gunk from that old find.

On a daily basis I stick with a rinse in 91% isopropyl, wipe and strop. If you want true disinfecting you have to let the alcohol air dry on the surface you want to disinfect. I don’t usually let it dry that long, I end up wiping dry and stopping on linen. I haven’t had barbicide around for a long time, last I used it was for soaking clipper blades.
Just FYI, 70% isopropyl alcohol is a better surface disinfectant than 91% is. And you are correct that you need to let the alcohol dry to get the full effect.
If you feel like you don't have time, just put a smaller amount on in the first place. Put some on a cotton pledget and wipe the blade with it, then let it air dry.

@kingfisher...Why so?
“Just FYI, 70% isopropyl alcohol is a better surface disinfectant than 91%..”
The presence of water is a crucial factor in destroying or inhibiting the growth of pathogenic microorganisms with isopropyl alcohol. Water acts as a catalyst and plays a key role in denaturing the proteins of vegetative cell membranes. 70% IPA solutions penetrate the cell wall more completely which permeates the entire cell, coagulates all proteins, and therefore the microorganism dies. Extra water content slows evaporation, therefore increasing surface contact time and enhancing effectiveness. Isopropyl alcohol concentrations over 91% coagulate proteins instantly. Consequently, a protective layer is created which protects other proteins from further coagulation. Solutions > 91% IPA may kill some bacteria, but require longer contact times for disinfection, and enable spores to lie in a dormant state without being killed.

I use the 91% isopropyl primarily to aid in removing water, I don't feel the need to disinfect my own razors on a regular basis. I have used ethyl alcohol in the past but I dislike the smell AND it is typically sold with added acetone (probably the source of the smell) which I fear will lead to discoloration or damage to the various scale materials. I have yet to have the ethyl do any noticeable harm but I find no compelling reason to temp fate. I like to add the 91% isopropyl to my witch hazel to kick up the alcohol content so keeping it around makes sense to me.

If I were looking to more thoroughly disinfect my gear I would certainly look to Barbicide (or the like), I know it to work well for disinfecting.

I use the 91% isopropyl primarily to aid in removing water, I don't feel the need to disinfect my own razors on a regular basis. I have used ethyl alcohol in the past but I dislike the smell AND it is typically sold with added acetone (probably the source of the smell) which I fear will lead to discoloration or damage to the various scale materials. I have yet to have the ethyl do any noticeable harm but I find no compelling reason to temp fate. I like to add the 91% isopropyl to my witch hazel to kick up the alcohol content so keeping it around makes sense to me.

If I were looking to more thoroughly disinfect my gear I would certainly look to Barbicide (or the like), I know it to work well for disinfecting.
Fair enough, but the OP's question was about disinfection, not about removing water from one's own razors. So those two formulations of alcohol have their purposes.

There is a product made by Barbicide called Clippercide..
Clippercide |
My wifes hairdresser put me on to it, we talked about straights and I gave her a Dovo hair thinning razor which I had two of and would never use, in return she gave me a can of this.
It not only sterilises but leaves and oily anti rust coating.

Hot water on the blade for a minute. Above 120 degrees should do it. I also use denatured alcohol in a small spray bottle. I make sure I don't get any alcohol on the scales or the pin.

You can follow Kingfisher’s advice I’m 99.99% sure he is an infectious disease physician ;-)

Anyhow, for disinfecting I’m also a 70% rubbing alcohol user.

Top Bottom