What's new

Bakelite/ultrasonic

Hello,
I bought this German Bakelite slant from an eBay seller in Munich.
Several questions, how can I repair the damage/missing plastic in the top cap.
Is it safe to put Bakelite razors in an ultrasonic cleaner.
What solvent mixes do you use for ultrasonic cleaners?
I’ve read just plain water, dish soap, vinegar, and some special solvent in powder form called green something.
Do ultrasonic cleaner automatically disinfect by virtue or is a chemical element needed?

Attachments

• IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    991.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3864.jpeg
    IMG_3864.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
I just use dish soap (Dawn) and hot tap water. No other chemicals. Occasionally I will put in jewelry cleaner to help clean Nickel or brass razors. Germs/bacteria don't live long on items so soap by itself should do the trick.

As to repairing the top cap, maybe epoxy?

I have put Schick razors in the ultrasonic cleaner with bakelite handles with no ill effect.

I just use dish soap (Dawn) and hot tap water. No other chemicals. Occasionally I will put in jewelry cleaner to help clean Nickel or brass razors. Germs/bacteria don't live long on items so soap by itself should do the trick.

I have put Schick razors in the ultrasonic cleaner with bakelite handles with no ill effect.
Okay, thank you. What’s your ratio with the dish soap?

Epoxy was what I figured, but wanted to ask first. What kind of epoxy would you recommend?

Thanks

Okay, thank you. What’s your ratio with the dish soap?

Epoxy was what I figured, but wanted to ask first. What kind of epoxy would you recommend?

Thanks
Just a small drop or two of dish soap.

I’m not an expert on Epoxy so that I can’t answer.

+1! Great advice! I am only a ‘user’ so can’t provide expert advice on epoxy.

Sorry guys I disappeared there. I got really busy with school.

Okay, I guess I’ll try the dish soap! I’ll try a few random items before I put this razor in.

Top Bottom