What's new

Different prices, same razors, same dealer

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't use my phone for shopping, I was browsing though their website on my phone when I noticed the different prices.
And therein could be the reason. Different cookies can be set depending on your buying habits on different devices.

You have a lot to learn about cookies and the way that they can and are used.

Last edited:
I have often spent several weeks looking at prices for flights and holidays on my laptop and also on my mobile. Over that time the prices quoted have often steadily risen but if I clear my browser history and cookies, so that I appear as a first time browser to the site, then the price drops again. I have no definitive evidence of this but that is my common experience and I always clear history and cookies before getting a final price. I suppose if the cookies and history were different on my laptop and mobile, then it is possible I could get different prices on the two devices. If so then I would choose the cheapest 😆 That said, I would expect the same price on both devices for a new site with no cookies or history.
Yes, this is very common for travel sites and if you book a Hotel room online.
But if I am looking at a new amplifier, and browse through a vendors site, for example https://www.akkelisaudio.com/, I will get the same price on that amp no matter if I browse via my phone or my laptop, the price will not go up or down just because I use a phone or a computer.

And therein could be the reason. Different cookies can be set depending on your buying habits on different devices.

You have a lot to learn about cookies and the way that they can and are used.
But if I am looking at a new amplifier, and browse through a vendors site, for example https://www.akkelisaudio.com/, I will get the same price on that amp no matter if I browse via my phone or my laptop, the price will not go up or down just because I use a phone or a computer.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Different web sites use and set different cookies. They can even set different cookies depending on what you are looking at or buying on the same web site.

As I said, a lot to learn.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have often spent several weeks looking at prices for flights and holidays on my laptop and also on my mobile. Over that time the prices quoted have often steadily risen but if I clear my browser history and cookies, so that I appear as a first time browser to the site, then the price drops again. I have no definitive evidence of this but that is my common experience and I always clear history and cookies before getting a final price. I suppose if the cookies and history were different on my laptop and mobile, then it is possible I could get different prices on the two devices. If so then I would choose the cheapest 😆 That said, I would expect the same price on both devices for a new site with no cookies or history.
This thread is an eye opener for me.

I mean, I'm not a complete Dufus, but I rarely think of this. My wife, whom I fear as much or more than I love, ABSOLUTELY REFUSES, TO THE POINT OF BURNING ME AT THE STAKE AS SHE EATS A STEAK, to allow me to buy anything on my phone. So it ALWAYS goes through her at the desktop. It's her idea of security, and if that's all it takes (and, literally, that's about all it takes. The woman is as low maintenance as she is beautiful. Sorry suckers; she taken!) to keep her happy, I have no problem getting on my knees and pleading with her to "PayPal" my razor "fetishes" (her werds).

So, I must thank you Gentlemen! If I do some sleuthing on the interwebs and can save her 0.0000005¢ on a blade, I WILL do it.

This is like making a million dollar deposit in her "Love Bank!"

So, I must thank you Gentlemen! If I do some sleuthing on the interwebs and can save her 0.0000005¢ on a blade, I WILL do it.

This is like making a million dollar deposit in her "Love Bank!"
That's what I am doing. Last time I ordered 100 7 O'clock Sharpedge and it was ~2 EUR cheaper because of them bloody cookies.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Some browsers (like Firefox) allow you to use their "incognito" mode. That helps a lot in not divulging information to web sites. A further help is to regularly delete cookies and use a good VPN. It depends on how paranoid you are. There is nothing wrong with being paranoid.

Some browsers (like Firefox) allow you to use their "incognito" mode. That helps a lot in not divulging information to web sites. A further help is to regularly delete cookies and use a good VPN. It depends on how paranoid you are. There is nothing wrong with being paranoid.

First, It's not paranoia if it's really happening.

Second, even without some kind of price gouging games, I can see the potential for different variables playing out.

1. Is the product being offered with free shipping? Do cookies report different delivery points depending on which device you're shopping from? 2 different points of origin combined with 2 different destinations could give them 4 different shipping costs to build into their price.

2. Do different retail channels have different fee structures? That has to be figured in as well.

3. And of course, the shenanigans you suspect could also be in play.

Different web sites use and set different cookies. They can even set different cookies depending on what you are looking at or buying on the same web site.

As I said, a lot to learn.
So, you mean that some on-line shops/vendors/boutiques, but not all, seems to be very few, uses different cookies to vary their prices depending on if you are browsing via your phone or your computer, at the same time?
Travel- and hotel sites aside, RBC is the only shop/vendor I have seen doing this.
For travel sites and hotel booking sites the prices are up and down by the minute, you wait a while and you get a better or worse price.
Amazon is not just one shop so I don't count them.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
So, you mean that some on-line shops/vendors/boutiques, but not all, seems to be very few, uses different cookies to vary their prices depending on if you are browsing via your phone or your computer, at the same time?
In a nut shell, yes.

Every web site individually determins what cookies they will and will not use and what they will do with the information they harvest.

Be aware, be very aware.

You don't have to believe me. I'm only an engineer who has coded a few web sites in my time. You can just believe whatever you want.

Last edited:
In a nut shell, yes.

Every web site individually determins what cookies they will and will not use and what they will do with the information they harvest.

Be aware, be very aware.

You don't have to believe me. I'm only an engineer who has coded a few web sites in my time. You can just believe whatever you want.
I have been searching thru a lot of webshops today, using my phone and my laptop and looking at the same shops simultaneously, and RBC is the only webshop where I get different prices.
I have even been looking for differences when using my VPN service (PrivateVPN), but it's still just RBC that gives me different prices.

Some browsers (like Firefox) allow you to use their "incognito" mode. That helps a lot in not divulging information to web sites. A further help is to regularly delete cookies and use a good VPN...
Ingognito mode (Chrome-based browsers call it private window) deletes session data upon closing, such as cookies. This does not prevent sending cookies from the device. If you want to spoof your agent ID, there are plugins to do so with 1 click (which I can recommend) or you can open your browser settings and with some digging, you can perform the changes manually. For firefox, the settings are available when you type about:config, under the field general.useragent.override . To do the same for Chrome(ish), you need to dig deeper into the so called Developer tools - search "chrome change user agent".

VPN is a good suggestion. As is the Tor network and its closest competitor, I2P network. Both are included as options to some preconfigured browsers or Linux distros. All common browsers can be configured to regularly (e.g. reboot in my case) clear some session data. This can also be achieved via plugins.

Ontopic: I have made the same experience with RBC, Amazon, Ebay, Rakuten. If you are more interested in the topic, you can search for "browser fingerprinting". If a company finds it financially viable to use data science (especially machine learning and data mining) to increase revenue or profit, they will. As you have seen, the size of the company does not matter.

Top Bottom