What's new

Different prices, same razors, same dealer

I am a bit confused here.
I have bought a great deal of blades from RBC's website, and a few things from their eBay-site when the prices have been lower there.
Yesterday evening I was browsing through their site via my phone and suddenly there are different prices again.

For example, if I want to buy a Roman Empire Shaving Ceasar (gun metal) safety razor it will cost me SEK 100:53 plus SEK 29 for shipping.
But if I buy it from their eBay-site the same razor cost SEK 118:99 plus SEK 27:39 for shipping.
And when I look at their website via my phone the same razor is suddenly SEK 83:80 plus FREE shipping.
(btw, 1 Euro is appr SEK 10)

I mean, why?
Why would any dealer offer three different prices on the same product depending on how and where you order it?

The cookies that you leave, behavior based pricing?
Different warehouses, shippers that want to rotate stock (Amazon fulfillment)?
I don't see how my cookies from browsing can change the prices on the same razor from the same dealer, and it is very strange that if I go to their website with the exact same url I get different prices if I go via my laptop or my phone, using the same wifi.
And I don't know if RBC have different warehouses from where they send the same razor to Sweden?

I got different prices from them based on sales channel (homepage, eBay, Amazon) but I haven’t done a comparison looking with different devices
I only know their web site and ebay-site.
But it is still a mystery how they can have different prices on their website, depending on if you go there on your laptop or your phone.
It is the same web adress and it is on the same wifi and it is on the same time..

I only know their web site and ebay-site.
But it is still a mystery how they can have different prices on their website, depending on if you go there on your laptop or your phone.
It is the same web adress and it is on the same wifi and it is on the same time..
Not really Tech savy but you can give your cookie preferences per device so maybe it’s that?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
To me it definitely sounds like the prices are being modified due to the information that your cookies provide to the vendor. You may be surprised at how much information cookies give out to web sites.

First. The RBC prices have always been different for the same product on ebay and on their site. Second. That thing with the phone and the PC on their site. It is indeed cookies. I have experienced it many times.
You can add the fact that RBC sells products on the Italian, American and German Amazon and the prices are completely different, even when you compare the 3.

To me it definitely sounds like the prices are being modified due to the information that your cookies provide to the vendor. You may be surprised at how much information cookies give out to web sites.
That's the thing, I browse the net the same way on my phone as on my laptop.
Looking at Hifi, Strength training and equiptment, wet shaving, cars, music on both my laptop and my phone, and connected via the same wifi.
And when I type the same adress (razorbladesclub.com) at the same time on my laptop and on my phone I get different prices on the same razors.

One more thing. What is the browser on your phone. Some browsers use proxies or VPN (Opera for example). This way you appear to the site's servers as if you are in a completely different country.

The browser on the laptop and the phone send different user agent strings to the server, so you get a different cookie, even though you are connecting on the same network. The server only cares about devices.

First. The RBC prices have always been different for the same product on ebay and on their site. Second. That thing with the phone and the PC on their site. It is indeed cookies. I have experienced it many times.
You can add the fact that RBC sells products on the Italian, American and German Amazon and the prices are completely different, even when you compare the 3.
I could buy the whole cookie thing if I was browsing different sites on my phone than on my laptop, and if I was connected via different networks.
Different prices between website and ebay-site, that I know from other vendors.
But I have never seen any other vendors giving different prices on their web site if you go there by your phone or by your computer.
If you know any other vendor doing this, please let me know.

RBC selling through Amazon?
I did not know, thanks for the information.

The browser on the laptop and the phone send different user agent strings to the server, so you get a different cookie, even though you are connecting on the same network. The server only cares about devices.
Cookies aside, do you know any other vendor giving you different prices depending on if you go to their website on your phone or your computer?

No, I don't know any other site. I have only seen this with the devices on the RBC site.
I have bought more than 2000 blades from the Italian and US Amazon sold by RBC. And they still send them from Sweden. But you have to be careful. Most of the time there are 2 listings for a certain product. One is sold by Amazon and fulfilled by the RBC. Those are sent from the local centers (US, Italy etc.). The second listing will say sold and fulfilled by RBC and will state sent from Aland Islands.

One more thing. What is the browser on your phone. Some browsers use proxies or VPN (Opera for example). This way you appear to the site's servers as if you are in a completely different country.
It does not matter if I look at their site on my phone or on my laptop, I still get all the prices in Swedish currency.
So I don't think RBC believe I am in a different country when using my phone.

It does not matter if I look at their site on my phone or on my laptop, I still get all the prices in Swedish currency.

They certainly do in my case, when I use one of my 3 phones and the prices are in NOK. With the other two phones this doesn't happen.

Cookies aside, do you know any other vendor giving you different prices depending on if you go to their website on your phone or your computer?
No, but I don't generally use my phone for shopping: it is not sufficiently secure for me.

However, it doesn't surprise me vendors do it. The intrusive nature of advertising and tracking means that micro targetting is commonplace. Vendors can offer different products and prices based on any number of variables. If they can gouge an extra couple of dollars out of iPhone users, or people from Country X, why would't they?

No, I don't know any other site. I have only seen this with the devices on the RBC site.
I have bought more than 2000 blades from the Italian and US Amazon sold by RBC. And they still send them from Sweden. But you have to be careful. Most of the time there are 2 listings for a certain product. One is sold by Amazon and fulfilled by the RBC. Those are sent from the local centers (US, Italy etc.). The second listing will say sold and fulfilled by RBC and will state sent from Aland Islands.
I have only bought blades via their website and a few times via their ebay store, never from Amazon.
My latest order from RBC (ordered direct from their site) was shipped from Germany and not Sweden but the price was the same anyway.

No, but I don't generally use my phone for shopping: it is not sufficiently secure for me.

However, it doesn't surprise me vendors do it. The intrusive nature of advertising and tracking means that micro targetting is commonplace. Vendors can offer different products and prices based on any number of variables. If they can gouge an extra couple of dollars out of iPhone users, or people from Country X, why would't they?
I don't use my phone for shopping, I was browsing though their website on my phone when I noticed the different prices.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have often spent several weeks looking at prices for flights and holidays on my laptop and also on my mobile. Over that time the prices quoted have often steadily risen but if I clear my browser history and cookies, so that I appear as a first time browser to the site, then the price drops again. I have no definitive evidence of this but that is my common experience and I always clear history and cookies before getting a final price. I suppose if the cookies and history were different on my laptop and mobile, then it is possible I could get different prices on the two devices. If so then I would choose the cheapest 😆 That said, I would expect the same price on both devices for a new site with no cookies or history.

Top Bottom