What's new

Difference between SLOC and DOC?

Hi All,

Is there a difference between a self-lubricating open comb (SLOC) and a dual open comb (DOC)? I recently picked up a Yaqi razor and not sure what to call it because the description on AliExpress just says: Yaqi Chrome Color Brass Heavy Handle Wet Shaving Razor

I've seen razors with a similar looking head referred to as SLOC and DOC so just wondering if there's a difference?

TIA!
Mrbeez

IMG_1780.jpg

Last edited:
Oops sorry just realized I posted this under Singled-Edged instead of under Double-Edged discussion! I don't think I can move it though.

It's a bit confusing.

DOC means "Double Open Comb". A generic term for an open comb razor with a slotted cap.

SLOC means "Self Lubricating Open Comb". A vintage razor with the DOC design is the Grand Shave King which the modern day replicas are patterned after.

Razorock SLOC v1 and Yaqi Mellon head are identical modern implementations of the vintage SLOC design. They offer slightly different surface finishes.

Razorock is bringing out a SLOC v2 which will be similar in design to SLOC v1 but machined from aluminum instead of cast and plated zinc alloy like v1.

PAA DOC is a unique design that is similar to the vintage SLOC. Made in different materials and different degrees of efficiency.

It's a bit confusing.

DOC means "Double Open Comb". A generic term for an open comb razor with a slotted cap.

SLOC means "Self Lubricating Open Comb". A vintage razor with the DOC design is the Grand Shave King which the modern day replicas are patterned after.

Razorock SLOC v1 and Yaqi Mellon head are identical modern implementations of the vintage SLOC design. They offer slightly different surface finishes.

Razorock is bringing out a SLOC v2 which will be similar in design to SLOC v1 but machined from aluminum instead of cast and plated zinc alloy like v1.

PAA DOC is a unique design that is similar to the vintage SLOC. Made in different materials and different degrees of efficiency.

Ok so a SLOC and a DOC are pretty much the same thing in terms of design? Where both plates of the head are open comb right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so a SLOC and a DOC are pretty much the same thing in terms of design? Where both plates of the head are open comb right?
If you are taking about the PAA DOC, it shaves milder than the RR SLOC. They appear similar, though.

The RR SLOC is the same as the Yaqi Mellon head, except for surface finish details.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The PAA DOC curves the blade a lot more than the RR SLOC. If you look at both from the side, you can see the difference.

Neither the PAA DOC nor the RR SLOC are 'aggressive' razors with the PAA DOC being the milder of the two.

I have both. My RR SLOC gets used more than my PAA DOC.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Yes. The original idea (Grand shave king self lubricating razor) was that the slots of the cap held water (not soap) to help lubrication.

Adam

Yes. The original idea (Grand shave king self lubricating razor) was that the slots of the cap held water (not soap) to help lubrication.

Adam

Got it. Thanks all! And although the Yaqi razor I got didn’t mention SLOC or DOC I think Yaqi uses DOC as their term since they have that Mellon DOC head.

I have a sloc and the head is light. I wonder if that's a good thing given that it is made of zamak. I wonder with the head design if this razor could last a life time.

I can agree with the head holding water not lather. All open combs can leave lather behind with repeat strokes, the water retention is a good thing and I notice it only with the sloc not other open combs.

Sounds to me like a Bourbon v. Whiskey or Champagne v. Sparkling Wine...

All SLOCs are DOCs

but

Not all DOCs are SLOCs

That sounds about right....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I have a sloc and the head is light. I wonder if that's a good thing given that it is made of zamak. I wonder with the head design if this razor could last a life time.
A replacement head costs $5. If you buy a couple, you will have a backup.

Any razor can be bent or damaged when dropped. Zamak may eventually fail, where the plating has chipped or worn away. Even if it doesn't last a lifetime, you will have gotten your money's worth.

Yes the light head is a good thing.

Think about spare heads Yaqi Mellon's just in case... I have hopefully enough to last me till, well you know, I'm dead...

Last edited:
Top Bottom