What's new

Did our fathers have more than one razor?

As I look at my collection of 12+ razors it occurred to me that my father -- for as long as I can remember -- only had his Executive. Just the one razor. Did your father have more than one razor?

Last edited:
So far as I know, he had only one mug, one brand of soap, one brush, one razor, and some modest supply of blades. There was nothing special or collectible about DE shaving. It was the norm of the time. He had one razor just like cartridge users have one "shaving system".

Pop had a 40s Superspeed until I bought a Hoffritz slant for him one Father's Day. When I came of age he gave me the castoff SS which I used till about the mid 80s.

Dad's Rig:

$IMG_2241.jpg

I don't know how he used the peerless brush. It's awful.

I asked my Mum who is now in her 80's what my dad and grandfathers used to shave with ... as far as she can remember there was a straight in her dads life until he bought an electric and from then on electric only. My father only used an electric shaver ! I never realised that electric shavers were that old.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I remember a couple of injectors in the medicine cabinet during the sixties. And some brushless creme.

My dad used an electric razor all my life. I have no idea how he can deal with that, I haven't tried one in at least ten years but it was awful and I can't imagine it's gotten much better!

Hilariously, my dad had at least two of the exact same basic mach 3's, and an electric here and there. If you go way back, I've heard that it was customary to have a straight for each day of the week. That makes sense to me as it cuts down on the amount of touchups you would have to do with one razor on a hone / cr ox. I tell myself that for that reason, I too need 7 straights! My gf does not buy it. :)

As far as I remember when I was in Poland, at the time I was still in the single digits, early 90s late 80s electric razors were what it was all about, so much so that my grandfather still uses them, I don't know what my dad uses though.

Yes, my father had two. He had his straight razor and later he had a Gem G-Bar.

I learned to shave by "borrowing" both of them until I decided to get my own which turned out to be my Fatboy.

I still use the straight and the G-Bar from time to time. Both have amazing longevity. I don't remember him having more than one soap or brush though.

My dad used a Shick injector exclusively. He never used a DE. Although, he would sporadically venture into electrics. That never lasted and he would go back to the injector. His standard kit was the injector, Rise foam, and Skin Bracer or Old Spice whichever was cheaper at time of purchase.

Top Bottom