What's new

Did our fathers have more than one razor?

No he had only one at a time as I recall. I'm sure he would call me a girly boy for needing/wanting/owning more than one... after all in his day it was DE or cutthroat in general.

My Dad wet shave? He was far too rock & roll for that - wet shaving was for his Dad's generation! He only ever had one electric razor at a time, preferring the rotary Philishaves over foils. I always remember this particular razor.... it seemed to go on for decades until he finally upgraded to a 3 head Philishave. He looked on my wet shaving as if I were a barbarian :laugh:

$philishave.jpg

I'm only 28 so I remember my dad using a Gillette Sensor Excel until he got a Mach 3 and that's all he used until he passed. I never got a chance to talk about Safety razors with him before he passed but I imagine he used them considering he was in Vietnam and I inherited my thick facial hair from him. Not sure about using a brush and soap tho, He always used Barbasol, and Barbasol has been around for a long time.

Personally tho, I only use one razor. My goal was to find one razor that worked for me and stick with it, learn it and master it. I chose the Above the Tie S1 on an Atlas handle. I've tried about 8 different razors ranging from Vintage TTO to the mild EJ DE89 and a few in between.

My dad had two that I have now. A '58 Gillette Super Speed T.V. Special and a 60's era Schick Krona. What he used before that I don't know, he started shaving around 1936 or so as near as I can figure. He used an electric when he got old. I have my grandfather's T.V. Special as well. He must have used a straight when he started as that had to be 1905ish.

my dad stayed current with technology and moved from safety to injector to electric, but he only used one of whatever style razor at the time. Once he switched to electric he never looked back.

I've actually only ever known my dad to shave with disposable cartridges. Now I'm going to have to ask because I'm CERTAIN he had to have gone DE at some point in his younger days.

Schick injector till those got hard to find and then crappy disposables. A can of whatever was on sale. He was cheap and not in some endearing way. I wouldn't know earlier than mid '60s.

I bought a bunch of razors from a guy on Craigslist that were all his father's - 11 razors in all. The oldest was a NDC Tech the newest was a early 70s Black Beauty. That guy had RAD before it was a thing.

When I was a kid, I know my dad used DE, but I don't know whatever became of that razor (or what kind it was).
I can't ever recall that he used electric. It became disposables and carts.

Top Bottom