What's new

Did our fathers have more than one razor?

My dad used a fat handle Tech up until he switched to the Techmatic, though he must have had a short dalliance with a blue-tip SS as I remember finding one in a drawer.

My dad, born 1919, used one razor, a Gem Micromatic Open Comb, for his whole shaving life. His kit was a milk glass mug with Williams mug shaving soap. In the 1950s, he did change brushes to a Ever Ready C40. The blade was always a Gem Blue Star.

About 1972, I asked him why he used the Gem Micromatic Open Comb and not a newer razor? I got a short simple answer. "No other razor gives me as smooth or close a shave."

He died in 1999. The morning before he died, he used his Gem Micromatic Open Comb.

Your Dad spoke for an entire generation, and more,with his simple direct statement.

n order to kill the DE razor Gillette had to stop making them. Never met a cart' razor that shaved as well as DE!!

Gillette TTO, Williams, Gillette Thins, Made-Rite brush and that was it until Christmas when he'd get a wooden tub of Yardley's.

Last edited:
I have been toying with the idea of divesting myself of all the gear I have amassed in the last few years and just keeping my dad's old Hoffritz, my favorite brush (a Kent I bought in London years ago), and one bowl of AOS or D R Harris soap.

My dad had an old Gillette TTO, a Mach 3 and a W/S Quattro as well as an electric. Not sure what happened to some of it, but I did acquire his Mach 3 when he passed, along with his shaving brush (Wilkinson Sword Boar #1 which I use to this day - I bought a second as backup).

My dad used a Gillette black handle super speed, long handle super adjustable, knack, and later it would be Schick injector, Trac II and Atra. Those were the progressions I remember because he still had the razors. He never got into the Sensor or Mach 3.

My father had the Gillette slim,I think plus an extra one. Always used can shaving cream(Colgate) and Noxema in a can...the green one.

My dad was born in 1952. I got his old Gillette Slim this year. He said it was his first razor and the only one used up into the 90s, when he switched to carts. Figures, of course, that now he's tried several brands of cart.

My father only had one razor at a time. I remember a bunch of old electrics in his dresser drawer and assorted disposables that he used in later years.

My grandfather was an old-school barber, and he had dozens of straight razors, but these were for use on the job when he shaved his clients. At home, for shaving himself, he had a Gillette Superspeed and either a can of Barbasol or a jar of Noxzema.

I have been watching this thread closely. My father did eventually switch to a Gillette Trac II when it was introduced in 1971 from his steadfast use of a B4 Red Tip Super Speed from new. To my best memory- he never used any shaving mug soaps or brushes, depending solely on Gillette aerosols such as Gillette Foamy Menthol. He always used Gillette blades as well. Shaving was never a luxury for him-it was purely a routine to be handled in as efficient a manner as possible, using gear that gave both dependable and consistent results. As a pharmaceutical company representative-he had to always look his best, and had no time for trying other products or any real interest to do so. When my twin and I began to shave around 1971, he gave us each a Trac II instead of teaching us his Super Speed razor routine. My hope is that both his and our Trac II's will surface in my Mom's house some day. This thread has certainly given me pause at the enjoyment and hobbyist approach that we have placed on shaving-I certainly include myself in this. I do desire though, to do the same at some point-to also consistently use one razor, one shaving cream product, and one blade daily-all purchased locally, just as my father did. I can easily see how he preferred the Red Tip and its blade and shaving cream compliment-I too have developed one as well for this razor- an A2 Red Tip, Barbasol Regular aerosol shave cream, and Wilkerson Sword blades. Like father, like son I suppose. I still am hard pressed to lay down my 1977 X4 Atra though, for that 4:30 AM shave in a rush to the hospital. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Last edited:
I only remember my dad using electric shavers. When the first one finally caught fire, he bought a Norelco. I got an identical Norelco for Xmas after I went away to college but I used it maybe once a week.

Last edited:
As I look at my collection of 12+ razors it occurred to me that my father -- for as long as I can remember -- only had his Executive. Just the one razor. Did your father have more than one razor?

My dad shaved with his electric razor and used a Gem Junior to shave under his arms. That was it. I got into retro shaving because the electrics did a lousy job and the multiblade razors killed my face.

$WetWhiskerCutvsDry-1.jpg

My dad had a Gillette DE razor with a blue handle. I have no idea which model this is. He had a Braun electric shaver and a Trac II razor. He shaved a lot with the DE razor and later he switched over to disposables. He said that DE blades aren't that good as they used to be. He used Wilkinson.

When he got ill I gave him my M3 and purchased a Fusion. A couple years later I switched to DE and got a 34C HD.

I have enjoyed reading your posts gents...it is clear our fathers had quite an influence on our future shaving selves. Funny that I should remember so clearly his gold Executive from when I was 5 or 6 years old or how others remembered a father's favourite razor and strive for the simplicity in shaving our fathers did out of necessity. Perhaps it is a longing to return to a time past and shaving in a traditional way is a reminder of that period in our lives. Thanks for sharing your memories.

My father started with a straight. He told me he only used one for a short while. His next razor was a Superspeed I think. He used that until my mom bought him an adjstable one Christmas in the 60's. He used that until required to use an electric. The electric was his last one. Dad never owned more than one razor at a time. The adjustable was his favorite. He used it for over 40 years. I wrote about it in My Father's Razor.

I remember when I was a kid my Dad used a Super Speed in the 60's and early 70's, then later I remember an injector.

Top Bottom