What's new

Did I miss a Grooming Department release?!

And tell us what they all smell like
Well, I already shaved this morning because the tracking said it would get here tomorrow. Surprise! It arrived early. It will have to wait until tomorrow.

The scents are complex.

Kolnish Scent Notes: Petitgrain, Bergamot, Lime, Litsea Cubeba, Lavender and Green notes.
Off the puck, I smell the citrus but it is a real mix of lemon and lime. I don't smell the lavender but it has an odd/interesting green background. Strong scent.

Elan: Scent Notes: Citrus, Juniper Berry, Cypress, Cardamom and Woody Accord.
Strong juniper off the puck, strong citrus. I don't smell the cardamon but can detect a woody background. This may be my favorite.

Magnolia & Oud: Very sweet floral and creamy wood, almost too feminine for me I think. It will take some getting used to it. This one may be polarizing like Leviathan but one you come to love after a few shaves.

Island in the Sun: I no longer see the scent notes on Mo's website but the scent that jumps out is mint. It smells like wriggleys chewing gum with a faint lemon verbena background.

The labels all look like they were hastily placed on the tubs and they all are misaligned and have air bubbles under the labels. I'm sure the lather will smell differently than the hard puck soap.

I hope everyone enjoys their soaps and I look forward to reading everyone else reviews.

Magnolia & Oud: Very sweet floral and creamy wood, almost too feminine for me I think. It will take some getting used to it. This one may be polarizing like Leviathan but one you come to love after a few shaves.

Island in the Sun: I no longer see the scent notes on Mo's website but the scent that jumps out is mint. It smells like wriggleys chewing gum with a faint lemon verbena background.

The labels all look like they were hastily placed on the tubs and they all are misaligned and have air bubbles under the labels. I'm sure the lather will smell differently than the hard puck soap.

I hope everyone enjoys their soaps and I look forward to reading everyone else reviews.

Thanks for the updates. Mine won’t arrive until Monday.

I was really looking forward to Island in the Sun until you mentioned mint. I do not typically like mint & citrus combos. Let’s hope things mellow out a bit when lathered.

Thanks for the updates. Mine won’t arrive until Monday.

I was really looking forward to Island in the Sun until you mentioned mint. I do not typically like mint & citrus combos. Let’s hope things mellow out a bit when lathered.
I didn’t like the mint at first. However, after lathering, the mint falls back and the lavender, lime, eucalyptus and lemongrass come forward. On drying, I don’t smell the spearmint at all.

4D6DF9C2-2C51-4A1D-9799-13FE50550849.jpeg

My first impressions of GD’s Island in the Sun (also known as Fried Egg on a Beach) are really good. The scent is Spearmint forward and Lemongrass middle and eucalyptus lavender finish. It loaded and lathered very quickly; took a lot of water and had the shiniest sheen of any lather I have ever seen. Shaving was very slick and comfortable. Post shave I felt like I needed a generous splash of Thayers. I used my Paladin Cleo and a Gamechanger with a Rapira Swedish steel blade. The aspirin was for the pain in the *** it took to get the soap.

View attachment 928567
My first impressions of GD’s Island in the Sun (also known as Fried Egg on a Beach) are really good. The scent is Spearmint forward and Lemongrass middle and eucalyptus lavender finish. It loaded and lathered very quickly; took a lot of water and had the shiniest sheen of any lather I have ever seen. Shaving was very slick and comfortable. Post shave I felt like I needed a generous splash of Thayers. I used my Paladin Cleo and a Gamechanger with a Rapira Swedish steel blade. The aspirin was for the pain in the *** it took to get the soap.
Can I borrow some of your aspirin, I only have 81 MG.
That was good.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

View attachment 928567
So now I know who grabbed that Island in the Sun tub off of my order and made it disappear into nothing...thanks a bunch :em2300:

I got some Tao. If I like the formula I’ll definitely buy other incense scents. This is more citrusy than anticipated, but the warm incense is clear and wonderful. Looking forward to lathering it...

Anyone know when West Coast Shaving might have a schedule of GD soap , date and time.
I about got skunked but ended up with Flight, so I can try GD soaps too.

My order finally arrived today

I test lathered ‘After the Fire’. It lathered up exceptionally well. The scent strength is up there and I enjoyed it. It definitely has a lime/barbershop thing going with some subtle smoke that works well with it. Pretty unique! I’m looking forward to shaving with it tomorrow.

Oh, and the labels all had huge air bubbles which obviously doesn’t affect performance, but does take away from the presentation.

Anyone know when West Coast Shaving might have a schedule of GD soap , date and time.
I know you and many others may be put off from ordering direct from GD after this latest fiasco but it says on the GD website that there will be a restock tomorrow at 11PST.

P.S. I have family in town and probably won’t be able to get in on this but if anyone has the heart and lightning fast reflexes to add an After the Fire & Verbrannt to their order for me, it would be greatly appreciated & you will be compensated for your troubles.

P.S.S. I am not joking

Mo is having another re-release of the same soaps tomorrow at 11:00 Pacific time.

If you're looking to purchase right away, you can go over to eBay - someone has listed several of the new soaps for $49.00 ea.

Glad to see everyone is getting their soaps and I'm enjoying the photos and the comments concerning the scents. The following is a message I posted today on another forum with his reply following (as you can read, I'm trying to play nice and not say what I'm really thinking). Once I had posted this, several others that had purchased GD soaps also chimed in that they were having the same problem and concerns that I was having.

With that being said, please PIF the aspirin....

Mo -

Hope you are feeling better now that ALL your orders have been delivered to USPS per your messages on your website and the forum yesterday. Unfortunately I'm left scratching my head. When I went out to check the tracking number for the orders you sent me, the message tells me "We've accepted your order, and we're getting it ready. Come back to this page for updates on your shipment status." If this is the case, I'm assuming that USPS HAS NOT received the order yet and it is NOT yet on it's way.

Can you clarify this for me? So far I've given you the benefit of the doubt and even though I do enjoy your soaps and I'm looking forward to receiving the new ones, plus the Chypre Vert that I ordered, my patience with this whole situation is getting strained.

I hope you can address this and let me know what the situation is.

Mo's Reply -

I'm sorry for the delays in your orders. They required manual steps, I ended up putting them aside to add item manually to the boxes and I missed taking with me to USPS. I'll make sure they go out today.

My delivery of 3 soaps never arrived even though is says delivered today.

I emailed Mo and he responded same day and said he will ship replacements on Monday.

I am happy

I know you and many others may be put off from ordering direct from GD after this latest fiasco but it says on the GD website that there will be a restock tomorrow at 11PST.

P.S. I have family in town and probably won’t be able to get in on this but if anyone has the heart and lightning fast reflexes to add an After the Fire & Verbrannt to their order for me, it would be greatly appreciated & you will be compensated for your troubles.

P.S.S. I am not joking
Hi, if you have not found anybody, please pm me and I'll be more than happy to do it for you, no compensation necessary!!!

Mo is having another re-release of the same soaps tomorrow at 11:00 Pacific time.

If you're looking to purchase right away, you can go over to eBay - someone has listed several of the new soaps for $49.00 ea.

Glad to see everyone is getting their soaps and I'm enjoying the photos and the comments concerning the scents. The following is a message I posted today on another forum with his reply following (as you can read, I'm trying to play nice and not say what I'm really thinking). Once I had posted this, several others that had purchased GD soaps also chimed in that they were having the same problem and concerns that I was having.

Mo -

Hope you are feeling better now that ALL your orders have been delivered to USPS per your messages on your website and the forum yesterday. Unfortunately I'm left scratching my head. When I went out to check the tracking number for the orders you sent me, the message tells me "We've accepted your order, and we're getting it ready. Come back to this page for updates on your shipment status." If this is the case, I'm assuming that USPS HAS NOT received the order yet and it is NOT yet on it's way.

Can you clarify this for me? So far I've given you the benefit of the doubt and even though I do enjoy your soaps and I'm looking forward to receiving the new ones, plus the Chypre Vert that I ordered, my patience with this whole situation is getting strained.

Mo's Reply -

I'm sorry for the delays in your orders. They required manual steps, I ended up putting them aside to add item manually to the boxes and I missed taking with me to USPS. I'll make sure they go out today.

As a follow-up to my earlier email, I received the following from Mo this evening:

I screwed up again and didn't take your orders to USPS today.
I'm really sorry about the mess. I screw things up when I mark things manually by hand. I'll send it out on Monday. But I'm happy to offer you a refund. I know I did a terrible job serving you.

This just keeps getting better and better...

P.S.S. I am not joking
I Am not put off from ordering directly from GD, nope not me. I was simply asking about West Coast release.
Thanks.

Mo -

Mo's Reply -

Thanks for the reply.

Hi, if you have not found anybody, please pm me and I'll be more than happy to do it for you, no compensation necessary!!!
Thanks for the offer but it looks like I found someone to help already.

Good luck to you! I hope you’re able to get what you’re after.

Top Bottom