What's new

Did I Get Duped?

Hi guys, new poster here so please bear with me.

I'm active duty Navy about to head back out again and purchased today on eBay a "1940'S VINTAGE GILLETTE BLACK TIP SUPER SPEED RAZOR" (apologize for the caps, it's just a quote) for 14.99. Link can be found here. They didn't mention anything identifying other than the fact that the serial number was printed on the original box (G-8852).

The only DE I own right now is a cheapie that I purchased at a beauty supply shop and it doesn't really have any weight to it, so I'm trying to pick up a Super Speed based on its reputation (really I wanted an HD, but at half the cost, this caught my eye first). Plus, I think it's kind of neat being a military man and shaving with a piece that allegedly was used by the troops in its time.

I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me and (MAJOR shot in the dark), if anyone is willing to part with an HD for a service member, please let me know.

Thanks,
ET1(SS) Mark Schilleman
USN

Black tips were from the '50s (I think 51-52), not the '40s. So you're looking at Korea more than WW2.

That box is for a Milord which is a different razor.

I'm not sure that serial number means anything. I don't think we ever issues Milords to the troops; that was a gold-plated razor.

Superspeeds are nice razors in general but I think you overpaid a bit, and unfortunately you probably aren't buying anything used by someone in the military at the time.

Looks legit to me. Looks be be in quite rough condition, but it might be a mighty fine shaver still.
If you want a new and affordable, but still an excellent razor that rivals any Merkur in shaving quality, look here:

I'd look at the top of the page. There is a PIF for active military. Think, FREE.

Just enter and ask, there may be what you look for, no guarantee.

I don't think you overpaid or if by any very little. Today the Bay is going nuts on the prices for razors in the '70's, '60's, '50's, ect., ect.

Clean it up, I'm sure it'll be at the least a good user.

From an Army Vet to an Active Duty Navy, THANK YOU for YOUR SERVICE. Much Appreciated.

I noticed the PIF, but I'm not going to Iraq/istan so I don't think I'm eligible seeing as how that was Rule #1.

Thanks Blix and Insomniac, I guess I'll have to see what I get when it's shipped to me. I'll be sure to post better pictures when it's in my hands. I'm just a little worried because my wife said that if I order this one, it's gonna be my last DE for a while...

Thanks a million jcwit! It's veterans like you that set the example for the rest of us and got me inspired to enlist in the first place.

The real salt in the wound is I had just lost a bid fifteen minutes prior to ordering this on a pair of SS: A Y2 and a B4. Some lucky son of a gun got them both for 15.50

The real salt in the wound is I had just lost a bid fifteen minutes prior to ordering this on a pair of SS: A Y2 and a B4. Some lucky son of a gun got them both for 15.50

Just be patient. It always pays off. It's when you want something badly that you buy something you won't love or overpay for it.

the black tip is a 40's "style" super speed,its a fine shaver,it should show a 50's date code on the underside of the head,i think it was around 54 they went flair tip,check out these sites for more info;
http://www.safetyrazors.net/gil_ser2.htm
http://www.mr-razor.com/
hope this helps,thanks for your service,and god speed home

Thanks for everything gents, I appreciate all of your feedback and I'm still going to post pics...that is if it ever arrives. New York to California apparently takes more than a week over ground. Never had it take this long before, but I'll remain optimistic.

On a plus note though, I also won a bid on a '58 black tip super speed and received it three days later with a pack of derbys and (much to my surprise) a 58 tv special that just needs a little tarnish to be removed before it's shave ready. Got everything for 22 w/ shipping. Thank you so much, relaxmaker (ebay name). You've restored my faith in the bay.

I guess from now on, I'll just use WCS or the b/s/t.

Last edited:
Good job ET1. All sound to be good razors and now you have a selection. Just make sure and get a stick for the boat, I've not done it on the boat yet but I know the troubles you're gonna find when you get underway and try to shave. Unless you guys are a Reverse Osmosis boat, you're gonna catch hell trying to "wetshave" underway on a Boat, I know from experience(CSC (SS) here). I'm fixing to retire and never have to get underway again so I don't have to worry about "wasting" water anymore!!!! And you're selection of razors is gonna grow and grow!!! I'm on the lookout now for an OC from the early days myself to have something that the troops used back in the day.

Greg

Looking at the picture reminded me of when I was in Air Force Basic Training in 1969. We were given a stamp with the first letter of our last name followed by the last four of our serial number (F-9026) to stamp on everything - uniforms, underwear, duffel bags, etc. That's what the number inside the case looks like. And to reiterate, the case is for a MILORD which was gold-plated.

Mark:

First of all, my gratitude to you, sailor, for your part in keeping the rest of us free. Thank you!!

Like others have posted, the Black Tip Super Speed is classified as a '40s style, even though it was produced in the early 1950s. It features a plastic TTO knob, and will have either an aluminum or steel handle. The head, however, is nickle-plated brass.

Your case is from a late '40s Milord. While not historically correct for the razor, it will serve its intended purpose of keeping your treasure safe. I agree that the stamping inside the case is a service member's stamp, as many of my possessions from the '70s had "B-0552" inked on them!!

Bottom line . . . the 1940s vintage Super Speeds are great shavers. Among the favorites of many, they are an outstanding razor for both "newbie" and veteran alike. The price seems fair (in the present market) and these things are like the proverbial Timex watch - they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

Congrats on your "win" and may The Good Lord keep you safe while you serve!

Love the story, CSC. I'll probably put my anchors on before I return to the fleet and I'm sure they'll think of me as that weird nuke and his crazy shaving. I'll probably just fill up a shaving mug from the coffee machine in crew's mess and do my routine post-watch. Maybe I was spoiled on the Bremerton, but our evaps chugged out so much water that Hollywood showers were almost a requirement. My concern is more with blade disposal since I don't want the tdu queen testing his gloves on a DE blade.

Congratulations on a long and fulfilling career and I hope your transition to civdiv will be a great one.

As for the case of mistaken identity in the ad, I understand it's not a real milord. The seller admitted he didn't know much about DEs and he got this from his space when thy were doing a cleanup and an elderly man had lived there before. I'm not that worried about it since, like I mentioned, I've got backups at the ready.

Top Bottom