What's new

What price to pay? How much is too much?

For variety sake I'd say I don't like your collection.

As far as the price I say pay only the amount you are comfortable with!

Awesome first post and some great comments from the rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, train robbers, bank robbers and Methodists. edited for content

My own purchasing experience has my mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention. With my collection I lean to the "if you can afford it, why not" train of thought but that's similar to most of my other hobbies. And like other hobbies once I've dialed in on those things I enjoy I tend not to deviate. As an example with shaving, while I appreciate that for vintage razors there's a whole host of manufacturers other than Gillette but I have no interest in collecting them.

As for the budget of shaving, as its been mentioned here and elsewhere often this is an affordable hobby and the barrier/cost of entry is quite low. That said, I don't think its completely analogous to other activities like boating, cabins, etc. I can't imagine the circumstance where I'd ever invite buddies or other couples to spend the weekend shaving together. Point being, aside from the camaraderie on B&B this is a largely solitary activity. Not that there's anything wrong with that. For me so is fly fishing and at times I have zero interest in riding with anyone, just want to get on the bike and burn through blacktop.

You have a wonderful collection, however a question..where are the SE razors at?

harrumph....harrumph.....my post is adjourned

Harrumph...harrumph indeed! Great post Canadian Mountain Man.

The DE is enough to keep me occupied, maybe SE and straights in 2020.

For variety sake I'd say I don't like your collection.

As far as the price I say pay only the amount you are comfortable with!
And I appreciate your comment. I have no idea what I'm doing, so it's fair to say my collection is lacking. With that said, I certainly didn't start this to have a collection. In fact, I collect nothing, am traditionally a minimalist, so I am already stepping out of my comfort zone.

I've devise what I call my Rule of Collectibles.
When some versions or models of a collectible are more readily recognized at a distance, those models shall almost always fetch a higher price, regardless of their intrinsic value or historical importance.
for example:
This Truetone "Boomerang" radio, has a standard 5-tube chassis, and a painted Bakelite cabinet.
proxy.php

Pretty cool, huh? (I have one, BTW.)
Here's another, with the essentially the same circuit and cabinet material:
proxy.php

Stand 50 feet back from the monitor and you can still recognize the unmistakable outline of the Boomerang. It will bring at least double or triple the price of the Zenith, which resembles dozens of other models.

Then think about a Fat Boy Toggle, versus a regular Fat Boy. It would seem that the Toggle is not a superior design, because they stopped making them so soon. Yet it demands a higher price, mostly because of its distinctive appearance. The Bottom Dial too, but to a lesser degree.
Of course there are always exceptions, like the Red Dot Fat Boy (which requires close inspection), but I think my theory is generally true. The unique shapes make them more valuable as an investment, but not as a daily driver.
Eye candy is what I would call the Boomerang and I agree, given two options, I would take the Boomerang. Nice radio John Rose!

Indeed, which is why I mentioned the Red Dot.
Yeah, I wasn't contradicting what you said, just pointing out a myriad of things can affect prices of collectables. How well color was printed, how much detail is remaining, etc. I buy things that catch my interest. So the weird shaped radio would get a second look from me :) , if that were my thing. But I want a value as well, so when I saw the price tag . . .

Not being a collector, but an impulse buyer, Red Dot Fatboy doesn't actually mean anything to me, other than a vintage fat handled DE Gillette, which I don't like fat handles, so over $15 and it would have no interest. At $15, I would consider giving it a spin. :) Yeah, I know I could pick up and resell at a profit, but I'm not in that business. I buy razors that I think I'll like, and then either trade or PIF if I don't like. I have 4 safety razors, and don't plan to ever have more, though they might change over time. A Gem 1912, a New LC, a Gillette Slim, and a Maggard Slant. Each a significantly different type of razor. Though I plan to release the Slim and Slant in the near future.

Top Bottom