What's new

Did AST ever make Gold Plated razors?

$100_0705.jpg

This is about 90 years old, if it was just polished brass, I'd think it would have been well tarnished before I found it if it wasn't gold plated.

Lou, the Micromatics appear to be either gold plated or chrome plated. Maybe nickel, but I think chrome.

A great many of the Pat. 1912 design were gold plated, including the Parade models made in the late 1940s. Some look to be nickel plate.

I initially thought the Micromatics might have been brass of a peculiarly non-tarnishing variety, but ads firmly state gold plate.

Here's a couple shots of one of my gold plated Flying Wings that is clearly gold plated. You can see where it's started coming off.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And here's an ad for the Ever-Ready 1924 that says it's gold plated, as well as the Micromatic. This is the only ad that I've found with a name associated with the 1924, it says Major Razors under the photo. I have no idea where that name came from.

proxy.php

Last edited:
what a cool ad Tom!

It's remarkable that the Rolls prices are still what you would approximately pay today.

Not the Segals though, I've definitely paid more for mine.

I missed read the Enders, it's case prices then suggested retail. So they sell today for the price of a case of them.

-jim

Last edited:
here's a couple shots of one of my gold plated flying wings that is clearly gold plated. You can see where it's started coming off.

proxy.php

proxy.php

and here's an ad for the ever-ready 1924 that says it's gold plated, as well as the micromatic. This is the only ad that i've found with a name associated with the 1924, it says major razors under the photo. I have no idea where that name came from.

proxy.php
great find, i never seen these before

Gem, Star and Ever-Ready were all under the ASR name after the merger in 1919, so every razor pictured in this thread were products of ASR.

mine has done the same.....

Here's a couple shots of one of my gold plated Flying Wings that is clearly gold plated. You can see where it's started coming off.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And here's an ad for the Ever-Ready 1924 that says it's gold plated, as well as the Micromatic. This is the only ad that I've found with a name associated with the 1924, it says Major Razors under the photo. I have no idea where that name came from.

proxy.php

Top Bottom