What's new

Developing An Addiction To Menthol

Thank you @slybrewguy, I think I need to do some more research to find the menthol aftershave that appeals to me. The Proraso Green is not bad, I was just surprised at it’s mildness.

Thank you @slybrewguy, I think I need to do some more research to find the menthol aftershave that appeals to me. The Proraso Green is not bad, I was just surprised at it’s mildness.

If you think proraso green is mild (as do I) then you'll LOVE Osage rub. At first the scent was meh to me but it's subtly quickly grew on me. My wife, coworkers, and friends all seem to be scent sensitive so it helps when I don't wear something strong. I have very oily skin so it's limited ingredients have been great for me. Also at $6-$10 for a 14oz bottle it's the deal of the century. I'll reapply several times throughout the day because it's so cheap, feels so good, and the scent never builds or becomes overpowering.

And this may sound funny but don't underestimate skin bracer. Menthol on par with proraso green splash, nice scent that isn't very lasting, and great skin feel.

I really dig cooling soaps like Proraso Green, TOBS Peppermint and Stirling Orange Chill.

But for me it actually can get to be too much. The Stirling Lemon and Pineapple Chill soaps I find too chilly and the Stirling splashes are waaaaaayy too much for this shaver :w00t:

On the other hand: The Proraso Green splash as well as The Declaration Grooming Bandwagon and the B&M Reserve Cool splashes are absolutely wonderful. Exactly the right level of cooling. My definite top 3 splashes.

I cannot get the Skin Bracer here but it is on my list for sure!

Glacial soaps are too numbing to feel my face or stubble. My menthol tolerance maxes out with Stirling MITA and Orange Chill soaps. While I prefer non-menthol aftershaves, I do occasionally use Orange Chill and Kramperts Frostbite aftershaves.

Wicked humid today here in Western Massachusetts, so I broke out the C.O. Bigelow. Coupled it with Stirling's Orange Chill Aftershave Balm and had myself a sublime and refreshing Saturday evening shave. My face is smooth and soothed.

Overall, I think Orange Chill might by favorite out of any soap/balm/splash I've ever tried. The scent and quality is perfectly on point.

I just used PAA’s Ice shave soap and lather soap this morning. It has a good dose of menthol in and I’ve had probably one of my best shaved to date...granted I’m still relatively new at this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two suggestions:
1) Pick up some menthol crystals - you can make some really cold AS. Skin Bracer is pretty mild, but can become really cold with some additional menthol. Fun to experiment. Can press into the top of soap before loading also. Great investment for menthol fans. I think I got 2oz and it's lasting quite well for me. :velva2:

2) Search out the Frozen Face Freaks club here on B&B. :thumbup1:

I love a nice cold aftershave and have added menthol to most of them in varying amounts. I don't like a whole lot in my soaps, however. MITA is just about right. Glacial Wintergreen was too much.

EDIT: Mentholated bath soaps are quite nice also. :)

Another lovely menthol shave with C.O. Bigelow and cold water. Followed up with some Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm. I'm frozen and loving it.

Last edited:
Proraso Green is a mainstay in my line-up, but that's as MUCH menthol as I want. That glacial stuff is over the top to me. I normally stock one menthol A/S (and it's always Proraso) one non-menthol (usually Lucky Tiger), and then 2 different non-menthol A/S with stronger scents that can almost double as colognes. So to me menthol is just a diversion.

BTW, for all you deep freeze fans, you might want to try Blue Line A/S from St. Charles Shave. I don't know how it stacks up to the new hard core Stirling offerings, but I tried it once and couldn't take it.

I'm finding C.O. Bigelow and Proraso Green to be my go to menthol creams/soaps when its hot and humid out. Third time this week I've used Bigelow and it is a fantastic product. Just the right amount of menthol kick that we need on this humid evening.

And Stirling's Orange Chill is so incredibly soothing. Absolutely a treat to use to sooth the skin. I keep mine in the fridge for extra cold blast.

Another hot and sticky calls for a wonderfully refreshing menthol shave. C.O. again along with Stirling Unscented Glacial post shave balm. An amazing combo and I'm delightfully cooled off. :)

If you're a face freeze fan, get yourself some peppermint essential oil. All you need is 1 or 2 drops whipped into your lather which, of course, will now smell like peppermint. You'll have a nice, cool lather which really feels cold when you rinse your razor under cold water and rinse with cold water. Couple that with a menthol aftershave and you will really get a nice face freeze.

Didn't shave tonight, but it is so muggy out that I did a cold water rinse on my face, quick splash of witch hazel, and them some sprays of an Osage Rub/Skin Bracer combo that I have mixed and decanted into a glass atomizer. Worked like a charm and I'm feeling so chilled out and soothed.

If there ever was a day for me to use menthol in my nightly shave, it was today. 100 degree day and wicked humidity here in Western Mass. C.O. Bigelow and Stirling's Glacial came through for me yet again. I even sat down infront of our AC window unit and let that sweet, wonderful cold air sooth myself after tonight's shave. Love me some menthol on these days.

Top Bottom