What's new

Developing An Addiction To Menthol

My shave experience just doesn't feel complete anymore unless my face is frozen.

This has definitely been an evolutionary progression, as when I first started to wet shave 7+ years ago, I shunned anything menthol. I felt that it made my face irritated and numb, and I couldn't feel how much pressure I was using while doing my passes. So, I stayed away for a number of years.

About a year or so ago, I began to experiment a little more as I thought I had gotten my technique and routine down pretty solidly. So, during a wicked humid summer day here in Western Massachusetts, I picked up some Skin Bracer from Wal-Mart and immediately fell in love with the scent and cooling it effect it had on my face. I then graduated to Osage Rub and wow, was that far more intense, and I still loved it! Again, the Rub's scent was very soothing and calming for me and left my face feeling wonderful.

I've been having a great time using Stirling's Glacial line, including their unscented Glacial Balm. That is truly cold. I've been pairing mine with cold water and then sitting in front of the fan/AC for even chillier aftershave effect. Just had a shave with it 20 minutes ago and my face is still frozen solid. I'm also really liking Proraso Green for both the scent and coolness factor. My face seems to really respond well to menthol as the post-shave feel is purely sublime - zero irritation and absolutely some of the softest skin that my face has known since I was a toddler.

Anyone else have an addiction to all things menthol? I'm already planning my next menthol combo and looking forward to it as the temps and humidity keep rising here.

Frozen-Jack-Nicholson-e1514501933828.png

I love my Proraso Green and an occasional application of Tiki’s The Captain. Menthol brings the fun once in a while. Especially as weather heats up for summer!

I remember reading a thread similar to this a couple years ago where one poster said "I'm just going to start sharpening pure menthol crystals and shaving with those" haha. Obviously a joke.

...or was it

But seriously, skin bracer or Osage rub are pretty much all I use now. I live in Florida so even our "winter" rarely gets so cold that menthol becomes uncomfortable. From may-sep I like to keep a small spray bottle of Osage rub at work for mid day refreshment in the cellar (I'm a Brewer).

I have always liked Proraso Green for its menthol kick. Just recently started ordering products with menthol from Stirling and I am hooked. Regularly use their unscented menthol AS balm and just ordered 2 more.

Ordered a sample of Stirling Lemon chill shaving soap along with the matching witch hazel, AS splash and balm. Regularly use the witch hazel as it leaves my face feeling excellent. This morning used the entire line of Lemon chill products and it was a very enjoyable shave. Definitely going to be my go to products for the summer.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
One of my favorite creams is the Simpsons unscented that I blended in a LOT (I think it was a teaspoon) of pulverized menthol.
I put about that amount in after shave the crystal dissolve in etoh i never thought of crushing it ive melted it on the stove but the re reconstituted in as without etoh

It seems that most if not all of the Fine aftershaves have menthol in them. The Snake Bite AS has 5 times the menthol as their regular aftershaves. It also has limited its ingredients to menthol, alcohol and water and no artificial colors.

I have not tried the soaps and can’t speak to them, but I fully recommend the Fine Snake Bite Aftershave if you like menthol.

It seems that most if not all of the Fine aftershaves have menthol in them. The Snake Bite AS has 5 times the menthol as their regular aftershaves. It also has limited its ingredients to menthol, alcohol and water and no artificial colors.

I have not tried the soaps and can’t speak to them, but I fully recommend the Fine Snake Bite Aftershave if you like menthol.

About 2 years ago when I could get bottles of fine AS for around $12 they were my favorite. Now that they are $20-$25 per bottle when they literally have only 3-4 ingredients is absurd. If I'm spending $20+ on a small bottle of splash I'm going PAA because they have additional skin care ingredients and Douglas meticulously extracts his fragrances and makes his products entirely by hand from scratch.

About 2 years ago when I could get bottles of fine AS for around $12 they were my favorite. Now that they are $20-$25 per bottle when they literally have only 3-4 ingredients is absurd. If I'm spending $20+ on a small bottle of splash I'm going PAA because they have additional skin care ingredients and Douglas meticulously extracts his fragrances and makes his products entirely by hand from scratch.

I agree. PAA's Chella Cool, Tombstone and Al Fin all provide me plenty of menthol. The Summertime Splashes from Chatillon Lux, Tam Sauk and Colbeck, are also tremendous menthol bombs with quality ingredients.

I recently tried my first menthol AS, Proraso Green. It’s nice but it’s certainly mild. Reading about Osage Rub, sounds like I should try that.

Alcolado Glacial. Freezer in a bottle. When we lived in houses and an apartment without central AC, I would take a cold shower before bed and splash Alcolado Glacial on my face, chest and arms. Brrrrr!

I recently tried my first menthol AS, Proraso Green. It’s nice but it’s certainly mild. Reading about Osage Rub, sounds like I should try that.

Both are great but they are very different. The proraso splash has a strong (but not overpowering) masculine scent, and is very moisturizing (almost greasy for me). Osage rub is just alcohol, menthol, eucalyptus, and water. They list fragrance but up front I get strong menthol and eucalyptus medicinal scent which fades quickly into a soft powdery scent that is barely there.

Top Bottom