What's new

Dermal Alchemy: In Praise of SQUALANE

Sorry if this is a roundabout story, but I need to tell you all of a semi-miraculous substance called squalane.
I first became aware of it last winter, when I had terribly dry and cracked hands. Desperate from the lack of a cure, I dug out a small tin of rose-scented hand salve (Rose Salve Tin - No. 012) that someone in my house probably had gotten as a gift but never used, and put it on my sorry hands before bed. When I woke up the next day, my skin felt awesome and my cuticles were healing for the first time in weeks.
It was such a surprise that I read the ingredients. Petrolatum, lanolin, SQUALANE... I had to look that stuff up. It is a refined product of olive oil that is Identical to a substance found in your skin's natural sebum. It is reputed to be excellent for healing and strengthening skin. I did a quick search on the B&B forums and the results show that it is an ingredient in some expensive shaving products. In the past, people used squalene- which is not as pure and usually harvested from shark liver!
I judiciously rationed the rest of that balm to make it through the winter, but as winter comes around again and my stupid face overreacts to shaving, we ordered a 4 oz. bottle of the pure SQUALANE from amazon (for the price of a moderately dear lotion) to make our own potions. It came in the mail today. It is colorless and very thin. Almost no scent. A few drops can be stretched to cover quite a bit of skin. On my hands- it is SO SOOTHING. I have a new blister on my thumb that almost immediately stopped stinging with the application. Amazing.
So, does it work for shaving? Honestly, unscented soap makes my skin burn. But squalane is so smooth and nice. It doesn't absorb quickly at all but it isn't heavy. It just feels good. I used it after a witch hazel AS splashdown and my skin is super happy; it's hard to describe. It almost just feels like warm water. Also, I'm getting zero irritation from rubbing my one-pass shave ATG (which is highly unusual for me) I believe it'll be good for healing weepers and ingrown hairs and of course, staving off dry skin, especially in winter. It has a very light, but odd smell- like clay I think- but it could be easy to mask with another scent.
I hope this little writeup has gotten you thinking about squalane, particularly if you're looking for a skin-healing salve that can also be used as a post-shave moisturizer for sensitive skin.
TNS

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very interesting, thanks for sharing and I am another who suffers from dry cracked hands.

Thanks for reading my write up that I did when I was very tired- I had a big week at work but was too excited to wait to share my experiences with you all. It really is amazing stuff...

Thanks for the info. The lanolin in the original balm probably helped out too, but this Squalane does sound easier to apply.

Fer sure. It can be pretty greasy feeling but it is so good for healing skin.
Lanolin seems to create a skin barrier, so the 2 probably work really well together.

I chase a bbs everyday so there are times that I get razor burn, most often on my neck. After reading this thread I ordered some squalane from Amazon and and started applying it everyday after my AS and before my balm. There were days that the AS lit me up but after applying the squalane I had no razor burn. I have not had any razor burn since starting to use the squalane. I think this is worth trying for anyone who suffers from razor burn.

Top Bottom