What's new

Derby Premium -- Are you kidding me??

As a daily shaver with a fairly light beard, I thought I would try a smooth blade that wasn't necessarily the very sharpest. In an earlier thread, someone recommended Derby in this regard. So I bought a box of Derby Premiums, and shave no. 1 was quite a surprise. Thank goodness I was in ultra-light pressure mode. It seemed similar in blade geometry and feel (i.e., very little) to Feather, and unlike PPI blades. And like the Feather, ridiculously sharp. Three passes, and no touch up needed or risked. Whew. I'd be interested to see some of you anti-Derby-ites blind test this against a Feather.

I had the same response to a Dorco Prime -- will eventually try a Derby Premium, but not until I'm done with my current set of blades.

I'd be interested to see some of you anti-Derby-ites blind test this against a Feather.
The pre-2016 Derby Extra blades are not in the same class as the latest blades. The edges were not as keen as many of the PPI blades and that is why they got maligned so often. The latest batches are sharper apparently so it would be an interesting review comparing a Derby Premium to a Feather, GSB or Astra SP say.
Here is a recent discussion on Derby Premiums; Derby Premium

The pre-2016 Derby Extra blades are not in the same class as the latest blades. The edges were not as keen as many of the PPI blades and that is why they got maligned so often. The latest batches are sharper apparently so it would be an interesting review comparing a Derby Premium to a Feather, GSB or Astra SP say.
I see. My guess is, someone at Derby noticed the unenthusiastic online reviews from the shaving enthusiasts, saw what Feather was doing, and decided to market a sharper blade. Premium? Prime? Deluxe? I dunno, but many of you guys do seem to favor exceedingly sharp blades and ultra-aggressive razors. I'll see what shaves 2-5 and maybe beyond are like with this one.

Interesting. I used to say I wouldn’t take a Derby If it was free. If I didn’t have some favorites now I might give them another try but it isn’t worth the effort.

Interesting. I used to say I wouldn’t take a Derby If it was free. If I didn’t have some favorites now I might give them another try but it isn’t worth the effort.
Well, I feel I got 100 Feather clones for under $9 shipped. Not necessarily what I was looking for, but I'll use them.

The old Derby Extra blades were terrible. I won a PIF of the 2017 Derby Extra blades & these are sharp & smooth. Just make sure you don't get the pre 2017 Derby Blades.

I am the owner of 99 pre 2017 Derby Premium blades. Of A L L the blades I own, the Derby Premium has been the first blade I've quit on and not finished the shave with. hint hint .. Derby Premiums are not being used at my sink any more. :001_rolle

I wasn't aware that Derby came out with anything new.
I loved the old Horizontal Derby, the Vertical ones are good, but not as good as they used to be.

I have an almost full 100-sleeve of Verticals that went AWOL last time I moved,
I'm down to just a pack and a half left now.

I'll have to give these Premiums a try.

Thanks for your impressions on this blade. The Derby Premium has gotten some good reviews.

proxy.php

I wasn't aware that Derby came out with anything new.
I loved the old Horizontal Derby, the Vertical ones are good, but not as good as they used to be.

I have an almost full 100-sleeve of Verticals that went AWOL last time I moved,
I'm down to just a pack and a half left now.

I'll have to give these Premiums a try.
Funny -- no such thing as too sharp for many of you guys. For me, there's a balance to be struck. But good luck and i look forward to your review.

As a daily shaver with a fairly light beard, I thought I would try a smooth blade that wasn't necessarily the very sharpest. In an earlier thread, someone recommended Derby in this regard. So I bought a box of Derby Premiums, and shave no. 1 was quite a surprise. Thank goodness I was in ultra-light pressure mode. It seemed similar in blade geometry and feel (i.e., very little) to Feather, and unlike PPI blades. And like the Feather, ridiculously sharp. Three passes, and no touch up needed or risked. Whew. I'd be interested to see some of you anti-Derby-ites blind test this against a Feather.
Derby actually makes "Bluebird" which is a top 5 blade for me.

I use the older Derby blades, they have always provided a great shave for me.

Will have to try the newer Derby models now.

I know some do not like Derby blades, but you must always remember the motto here: YMMV.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Derby Extra, all 180 or so that I have are the older type, have been a go to blade for me in any of my DE's since my first use of them back in early May of this year. All of my razors are of a rigid design.

Most recently, my first shave with one in my Fatip Grande gave me a simple quick 2 pass BBS shave. No tugging whatsoever, incredible smoothness and far sharper than many may think. I'd put them far ahead of many blades on the market.

I have coarse dense growth, and in a razor with a rigid design like my Fatip or my NEW SC, Derby Extra are easily a top blade. I will say that now I'm shaving with a single ATG pass and a clean up if needed, I havent yet tried them in a shave like that, but I'm more than confident they're up to that task.

Last edited:
My guess is, someone at Derby noticed the unenthusiastic online reviews from the shaving enthusiasts, saw what Feather was doing, and decided to market a sharper blade.

Well the vast majority of the 40+ MILLION Turks always got their shaves from Derby blades (and a few more millions in the countries near Turkey that still use DEs as their only shavers ) so I don't think that the opinion of a niche market like the online community of a few thousand men that still shave with DEs in the western world would really shake them :):)

I think that your case is a CLASSIC YMMV experience when it come to blades.

I also find many other blades way smoother and sharper than Feathers.

Well the vast majority of the 40+ MILLION Turks always got their shaves from Derby blades (and a few more millions in the countries near Turkey that still use DEs as their only shavers ) so I don't think that the opinion of a niche market like the online community of a few thousand men that still shave with DEs in the western world would really shake them :):)

I think that your case is a CLASSIC YMMV experience when it come to blades.

I also find many other blades way smoother and sharper than Feathers.
I hear ya, though I've noticed online reviews, and these days there seem to be hundreds for every consumer product you can think of, do have an impact. And look at the fancy Derby Premium packaging. They seem to be marketing the humble DE blade as a luxury product all of a sudden, at least online. But you're right, it's probably business as usual in grocery or drug stores in Bulgaria, Lebanon or Azerbaijan.

Glad Derbys work for you! YMMV, especially with blades!

I tried a tuck or two of Derbys some years ago and put them in my lowest tier! Simply too many others for me to try before I would give them another try.

Top Bottom